Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Too many elites - Not enough boarding groups

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Too many elites - Not enough boarding groups

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2005, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by psychephylax
I think what they should do, is just have separate planes for UGS/1K and then everyone else...
It would just be easier to shoot all the 2Ps.

But IIRC, American used to have "men only" flights on ORD-NYC back in the early 50s - not all of them, just one or two peak time flights each way. So why not 1K/UGS only? They could use a CRJ-200.
Old Mar 29, 2005, 8:26 pm

Programs: The opinions expressed here are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect the airlines I worked for.
Originally Posted by Motion122
How about allowing GS to board with F(they already do), 1Ks and 1Ps board with C(if the flight has a C cabin), 2Ps, then the GMs by boarding number.
I have never ever seen UA board C and F separately on 3-cabin aircraft (752, 76x, 777, or 744).

hehehe How about having onboard overhead bins that are lockers that can only be opened with your *A elite card. Then UA 1Ps and above could use their card to open an extra locker. hehehehe

Seriously, when in coach I would prefer to board at the very last moment if I don't have carry-ons. I used to do this all the time before I made elite status. I mean really - it's like "Let's rush to get on the plane where we'll sit in the same coach seat for the next 14 hours plus taxi and takeoff."

Before they made the most recent adaptation of Group boarding, UA admitted that their logistical studies showed no significant difference in boarding times when comparing boarding only by rows, by WilMA (old Shuttle term for Window seats followed by Middle Seats followed by Aisle Seats), or by status first and then by rows. Most of this managed chaos is designed to make First and elite customers feel special and have overhead bin space available for those who can take advantage of it.

I do support more group numbers though based on status level on UA and *A. Group 1 can be a huge chunk of people, especially at the hubs.

I'd love to see
First and Business, 1Ks, 1Ps, 2Ps, *G, *S and then Y+ fares followed by Y using rows in that order (yes I think *G and *S from other *A airlines should board after UA's own 2Ps - there has to be some advantage to UA M+ loyalty!). But I find my own idea silly as well.
Old Mar 29, 2005, 8:37 pm
Suspended

This is what they should REALLY do:

1st.) E-, from back to front. E- pax CANNOT put bags in E+ bins-ENFORCED.
2nd.) E+, from back to front. E+ pax CANNOT put bags in C or F bins-ENFORCED.
3rd.) C. C pax CANNOT put bags in F bins-ENFORCED
4th.) F.

If this were all completly enforced, then there would be no need to any status boarding. Since there would be enforcements of each of the four cabins, then there would likely be room for all Elites. Most Elites would be in E+, and would be OK anyway.

I would be happy to stay in the lounge and not bother with pre-boarding, if I were in E+ or a premium cabin, if I didn't have to worry about overhead space.
Old Mar 29, 2005, 8:42 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
It would just be easier to shoot all the 2Ps.

Umm. Uh - - what?

JR (2P)
Old Mar 29, 2005, 8:46 pm

Programs: UA GS/1K/MM, VA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC
This is what they should REALLY do:

1st.) E-, from back to front. E- pax CANNOT put bags in E+ bins-ENFORCED.
2nd.) E+, from back to front. E+ pax CANNOT put bags in C or F bins-ENFORCED.
3rd.) C. C pax CANNOT put bags in F bins-ENFORCED
4th.) F.

If this were all completly enforced, then there would be no need to any status boarding. Since there would be enforcements of each of the four cabins, then there would likely be room for all Elites. Most Elites would be in E+, and would be OK anyway.

I would be happy to stay in the lounge and not bother with pre-boarding, if I were in E+ or a premium cabin, if I didn't have to worry about overhead space.
Why not have everyone line up in the gate area and compare BPs so that the back row is in the front and the front row is at the back. The GA can then get everyone to shout their number to check that everyone is in the right place. No-one is allowed put luggage into the overhead until they get to their seat.

I'm sure there are plenty of really efficient ways to do this. I bet the army could board a 757 in about 1min compete with packs. ^

Not what UA customers want however....now over at SW.....
Old Mar 29, 2005, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
I agree that UA should do some fiddling to the boarding process. Group 1 is often ridiculously large. It's all a mad rush to get overhead space. Considering, how full the bins get now with the more carryon restrictions, its a miracle we ever got off the ground in the more lax days.

IMHO, boarding should be:
*Two-cabin plane
First/UGS
Group 1: 1K/1P
Group 2: 2P/E+
Group 3: E- rear
Group 4: E- forward

*Three-cabin plane
First
Business/UGS
Old Mar 29, 2005, 9:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, UA Nobody, Hertz Gold, Avis Select
Originally Posted by CApreppie

IMHO, boarding should be:
*Two-cabin plane
First/UGS

*Three-cabin plane
First
Business/UGS
If you want to base this on overhead bin space then maybe...However, if this is to speed up plane boarding all it takes is one person to stand in the aisle and block everyone else from getting to their seat. This person will spend 30 minutes trying to stuff their obviously oversized carry-on into the bin...Upon failure they'll plunk it in front of them and try to take off their jacket and put that in the overhead bin (optional..occurs during winter)...Then they'll turn around and with a puzzled look analyze the crowd that has formed between them and the FA. Then, more often than not, they'll try to make their way to the front of the plane with their carry-on to give it to the FA.
Old Mar 29, 2005, 9:58 pm

Programs: UA 1.6MM
Down here in Tucson, the GA's have always (as in religiously) called boarding with GS, 1K, and 1st Class first, then they call Premier Exec and Premier or "Anyone with a Group 1 Boarding Card" second, and then they go down the line. This includes the regular UA GA's and the UX GA's.
Old Mar 29, 2005, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by auh2o
Agree. What UA really needs is to stop boarding First Class and Zone 1 at the same time!
I agree. Only few gate agents do the separation!
Old Mar 29, 2005, 10:16 pm

If only the jetways were so accommodating everywhere, it would be nice to 'enplane' from the rear door and 'deplane' from the front door- then everyone gets what they want. JetBlue has a fairly efficient process as United Shuttle used to have at LAX T8 by using both doors.

As an aside, I was on a flight last week BWI-LAX where the status-conscious purser announced that UA 'would like to welcome the 130 MP members who have joined us onboard today, including 11 1Ks, 60 Premier Executives, and 23 Premiers (numbers approximate)' I was surprised at the percentage of elites- quite a large 'Seating 1.'
Old Mar 29, 2005, 10:20 pm

Programs: MP Platinum
Just make it $10 cheaper if you check any bags. That'll clear the bins.

Either give a voucher at check-in, or going the other way, you need to pay $10 for a carry on tag. No tag, automatic gate check. The voucher approach might be more acceptable, while the stick approach would raise money without raising fares, but might get some people huffy.

Last edited by yogi; Mar 29, 2005 at 10:27 pm Reason: add second paragraph
Old Mar 29, 2005, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Originally Posted by psychephylax
If you want to base this on overhead bin space then maybe...However, if this is to speed up plane boarding all it takes is one person to stand in the aisle and block everyone else from getting to their seat. This person will spend 30 minutes trying to stuff their obviously oversized carry-on into the bin...
Actually, my lists are based on cabin and status not on overhead space nor boarding process speed. Only E- rear before E- forward is to, hopefully, speed the boarding process after first/biz, status and E+ have gone.
Old Mar 29, 2005, 10:36 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
I've been on quite a few flights lately where the GA announces ... "I would like to invite our First class cabin to board at this time. Global Services and 1K's are welcome to board at anytime."
Old Mar 29, 2005, 11:14 pm

At LGA the CSRs seem to consult the listing of the number of elite passengers before boarding. On certain flights (especially the non 757 flights, since LGA mostly uses 1L) the boarding announcement is for "First Class, Global Services, and Seating Area 1." These flights are usually the "weekend traveller" flights, where there are few UA elite. However, on flights with high numbers of Premiers, they usually board First Class and Global Services, wait, and then board Seating Area 1. I think this system works, because if there are not that many elite, there is no reason to wait until after the 8 FC passengers and few GS passengers board, but if there are many elite, then they wait a bit. I have also seen this method employed by other stations. I only know LGA does this for sure from talking to a few CSRs and from talking to JFK FAs on flights out of LGA.
Old Mar 29, 2005, 11:34 pm

Location: Near Chicago and Under the MDW and ORD Flight Paths, IL, USA
Programs: UA recovering Premier
I probably shouldn't complain, but lately I've been having good luck getting upgrades to F and even when I start heading to the gate when it looks to be time to board, I get run over by the herd at the first boarding call. I haven't seen any flight where F and GS / 1K board first.... then the elites / SA1. I suppose that when all of F consists of upgrades, the GA doesn't see that they are any more special than the rest of SA1.

I have seen a few GAs cull the herd of SA2-4 folks who rush the gate early, but more often than not, if you get in line, you get on board.

As well-noted, the issue is clearly overhead space and non-enforcement of carry-on rules. I wouldn't really need to rush on board except that I prefer to put my laptop bag in the overhead -- and if I'm in a bulkhead row (which I normally hate), I NEED that overhead. (I really wish UA would eliminate the wall divider between F and Y and use curtains like AC so the "bulkhead" row can use the underseat space in front of them.) That's the thing that really cheeses me off -- particularly when the FAs don't watch for folks in the back of the bus using the first available bin.

As an aside, I was recently on an EMB 170 and the IND GAs treat that aircraft like mainline rather than a CRJ in terms of carry ons -- they really don't want you gate-checking stuff. Unfortunately, I think folks get used to gate-checking with UX flights and probably bring more stuff onboard than they would normally, so those get really messed up. The overheads will only fit rollaboards sideways, although you can get them underseat sideways as well. In any event, there isn't enough bin space for the usual number of rollaboards that people tend to bring on UX flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.