FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger-504/)
-   -   What a stupid email from United (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger/405268-what-stupid-email-united.html)

BDLORD Feb 28, 2005 8:18 am

What a stupid email from United

Just got this twice.
Dear Valued Customer,

Some time ago, you signed up to receive limited United e-mails featuring special offers and announcements.

In order to continue to receive our e-mail, you are invited to join United Mileage Plus®, our FREE award-winning frequent traveler program. As a member, you can customize your e-mail preferences: learn about special last-minute fares, earn special Mileage Plus member-only deals, view your mileage summary, and more.

Plus, we’ll start you off with 3,000 bonus miles just for enrolling when you elect to receive at least one of our e-mail communications*.

Enroll with confidence. Know that we will never rent or sell sell your e-mail address. To view our Privacy Policy, please click here.

As a valued member of Mileage Plus, you’ll enjoy many ways to earn miles towards award travel, from miles earned on your United flights to special bonus mile offers for dining, renting cars or just shopping!

Join Mileage Plus today!

If we do not hear from you by March 15, 2005, we will update your e-mail contact information so that you will not receive further e-mail communications from United.

Join Mileage Plus today. Earn miles, get exclusive offers.

You would think they would know who has an account and who doesn't

exerda Feb 28, 2005 8:43 am

I've gotten offers from the MP credit card folks before to open a MP account ;) And offers from UA to get the credit card, for which I'm "pre-approved" even though I already have an open account. I guess sometimes those two don't talk too well... but yours I think takes the cake!

p1cunnin Feb 28, 2005 9:09 am

I think some of us with multiple email addresses confuse the robots...

I have this happen often with other companies. SBC is always trying to get me to sign up for DSL, even though I have a DSL account from them.

If you have a primary email account that you use for Easy Update, and a throwaway account that you use for junk mail, you may have confused them. Sometimes it's as simple as having an alias on the same account. If you use [email protected] and it has an alias of [email protected], that can also confuse the 'bots.

BDLORD Feb 28, 2005 9:15 am

Originally Posted by p1cunnin
I think some of us with multiple email addresses confuse the robots...

I have this happen often with other companies. SBC is always trying to get me to sign up for DSL, even though I have a DSL account from them.

If you have a primary email account that you use for Easy Update, and a throwaway account that you use for junk mail, you may have confused them. Sometimes it's as simple as having an alias on the same account. If you use [email protected] and it has an alias of [email protected], that can also confuse the 'bots.

It came to the same email account.

p1cunnin Feb 28, 2005 9:26 am

Ok..... then there's some logic that is goofed up. Heck, I got Easy Updates for my flight last Friday well after I was already home and tucked in for the night.

Daydream Feb 28, 2005 11:48 am

puh, at least I am not the only one who received this email! I was starting worry...bad enough to be downgraded to General Member, but being asked to join MP....

And yes, it also came to the same emailadress where I receive all other UA communications.

UAfan Feb 28, 2005 1:17 pm

What now...

I too received the email. The one thing in it that concerns me is this:
"If we do not hear from you by March 15, 2005, we will update your e-mail contact information so that you will not receive further e-mail communications from United."

Ok, United, how am I supposed to let you know that I want to continue receiving email without replying to this email to join MP??? :confused:

And, yes, it came to the same email address as in my MP profile also...

UA_Flyer Feb 28, 2005 2:06 pm

I think I may found the reasons for the junk e-mails.

Under the E-mail and Communication Preferences page of the "Update Profile" section on United.com, we have been asked to checked the following five boxes if we want to receive future e-mails from United:

2. Mileage Plus Communications
Mileage Summary, Mileage Plus Program Updates, United and Mileage Plus,
Partner Communications and Information, including My Mileage Plus.

3. Mileage Plus Partner Communications
Valuable offers and information from Mileage Plus partners.

4. United Offers & Announcements
Special service, product, or promotional announcements.

5. TedClub
Exclusive travel related offers and more from Ted's free destination club.

I imagine our e-mails have been sent to five different independent databases that don't share information with each other. For example, I had received an e-mail from Ted asking me to register to become a M+ member a few months ago.

Look at 2 and 3 above... isn't 3 covered in 2 already?

I agree, it is kind of stupid and waste of UA resources.

chsb Feb 28, 2005 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by UAfan
I too received the email. The one thing in it that concerns me is this:
"If we do not hear from you by March 15, 2005, we will update your e-mail contact information so that you will not receive further e-mail communications from United."

Ok, United, how am I supposed to let you know that I want to continue receiving email without replying to this email to join MP??? :confused:

And, yes, it came to the same email address as in my MP profile also...

Be carefule this could be someone or some people doing what they call "phishing."

Tiojelly Feb 28, 2005 3:34 pm

Don't feel bad they sent you the wrong communication. Back in the early 90's when my travel dropped, they added me to the "Silver Wings" marketing campaign that targeted seniors for special deals. Since I was in my 20's, and about 30 + years from qualifying...

As mentioned, probably just dumb Smart Systems. Hey -- open up a new account, get the miles, then merge accounts... :rolleyes:

auh2o Feb 28, 2005 3:41 pm

I got 2 of em about 6 hours apart at the same email address that UA normally uses.

jacksf Feb 28, 2005 9:22 pm

Hmmmm Lets see..

30 emails X 3,000 per email =

Bet they won't do that again :)

Pat89339 Feb 28, 2005 10:05 pm

Add me to the list of receiving one of these emails. It was send to the one and only email address I use for United. I have never changed my email subscriptions either, I have always had them all checked.

PhlyingRPh Feb 28, 2005 10:23 pm

There have been occasions where I have received an offer via email multiple times (10 plus).

PremEx Mar 1, 2005 1:22 am

FWIW, I haven't received any of these emails. Yet.