Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Seating Offer Question

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2005, 9:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA1P MM, Hilton Dia, Mar Lifetime Gold, Hertz Gold
Premium Seating Offer Question

If I purchase the prmium seating offered on UAL.com, will it be itemized on the receipt? My company would not be happy to see that I paid for a First Class ticket.
Old Feb 8, 2005, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Buy the ticket and let us know what happens. If it's a separate item on the receipt, you can always cancel the ticket within 24 hours with no penalty. The refund usually appears on your credit card within 48 hours.
Old Feb 9, 2005, 11:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by MIKEM
If I purchase the prmium seating offered on UAL.com, will it be itemized on the receipt? My company would not be happy to see that I paid for a First Class ticket.
What is this premium seating offer?
Old Feb 10, 2005, 7:15 am

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
It gets lumped into the total. But the booking class does get changed to either Z and/or A (depending if it is Business or First - in all experiences that I've had). The fare basis code will be your original one with the added /UP$ ($ actually being the number of dollars paid for the premium offer)

Here is a recent receipt where I accepted the offer on the one-way:

E-Ticket smReceipt and Itinerary
YOUR ELECTRONIC TICKET WAS ISSUED
This Document is for reference only
Your electronic airline ticket is stored in our computer system.
As with all airline tickets, your electronic ticket is not transferable.
Thank you for choosing United Airlines

Record Locator: XXXXXX
Party of ( 1 ) Ticket Number Mileage Plus # Base Fare Tax Total
SF1K XXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXX
USD 582.32

USD 74.27

USD 656.59
Fare Details: FP AXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX EXP0106/ 280254 FC 10MAR SFO UA LAX 76.28SE141NNX UA DEN Q13.95 115.35SRP21VQN UA SFO Q13.95 362.79VR3QN/UP130 USD582.32END ZPSFOLAXDEN XT 9.60ZP 7.50AY 13.50XFSFO4.5LAX4.5DEN4.5
Baggage Allowance -
Penalty: NONREF-CHG100PLUSFAREDIF- CXL BY FLT DATE OR NOVALUE
Grand Total:
USD 656.59
Billing Information
SF1
1 Main Street
Anytown CA 94105
USA
Note: Bring a valid PHOTO ID to check-in.
Original E-Ticket information (Please see active itineraries)
Flight Depart Arrive Class
UA 0979
San Francisco California (SFO)
Mar 10 09:00 AM Los Angeles International (LAX)
United Economy
UA 0710
Los Angeles International (LAX)
Mar 10 10:53 AM Denver Colorado (DEN)
United Economy
UA 0151
Denver Colorado (DEN)
Mar 11 10:33 AM San Francisco California (SFO)
Z
Issued Wed Feb 09 2005
Old Feb 10, 2005, 7:25 am

My company would not be happy to see that I paid for a First Class ticket.
If you paid out of pocket for the difference I personally don't see why it would be a big deal.

In fact it would be quite the honorable thing to do in submitting expenses to strip out the upcharge for the upgrade.
Old Feb 10, 2005, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
When this type of thing happens to me - a voluntary extra payment to upgrade, be it hotel, airline, rental car, whatever - and I accept, I just make sure to catch a screen dump of the lower price.

My company will then take the final receipt as proof of travel, but will reimburse at the lower initial rate. Never had a problem, but I point out the difference when submitting expenses.
Old Feb 10, 2005, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the info.

I can appreciate some of the "honorable" input. But, all I was doing is collecting information. Now that I know what the deal is, I have decided not to purchase the upgrade because I am not supposed to. If I go and buy it, extract the payment, make the adjustment..., it may cast a doubt over my future expense reports. Questions may arise about all of my expenses as they may wonder just how lavishly my travels are. While I do everything by the book, the closer look could lead to new rules that have a negative impact on me. Why do I want these people to think I'm going first class on anything?

Buying the upgrade and reporting it may be honorable, but possibly stupid. Buying the upgrade and not reporting it would not be honorable, but less risky. In the end I choose not to go down this road at all, the safest choice.

Last edited by MIKEM; Feb 10, 2005 at 7:29 pm
Old Jun 30, 2005, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I've been a 1K for years, and today is the first time I've ever seen this Premium Seat Offer. What triggers it?

This was for a purchase for an LAX-SFO roundtrip and they want $130 for the upgrade. I can upgrade for free with 500-milers so it's not worth it for me. I wonder if I'll ever see this again? Do they do it on International fares?
Old Jun 30, 2005, 1:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stimpy
I've been a 1K for years, and today is the first time I've ever seen this Premium Seat Offer. What triggers it?

This was for a purchase for an LAX-SFO roundtrip and they want $130 for the upgrade. I can upgrade for free with 500-milers so it's not worth it for me. I wonder if I'll ever see this again? Do they do it on International fares?
I'm not sure what triggers the offer - I get them every so often on LAX to West Coast destination. Last week I booked BUR to SFO and got nothing. Five minutes later I booked my daughter on a different itinerary - exact same flights - and she got the offer. Go figure?
Old Jun 30, 2005, 5:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Jim Phillips
If you paid out of pocket for the difference I personally don't see why it would be a big deal.

In fact it would be quite the honorable thing to do in submitting expenses to strip out the upcharge for the upgrade.
That's what I do at my company. They only pay for Coach on domestic/shorter international, so I print out the approved Coach fare from ual.com and pay the difference between Coach and F/C myself.
Old Jun 30, 2005, 7:24 am

Programs: MP Platinum

Buying the upgrade and reporting it may be honorable, but possibly stupid. Buying the upgrade and not reporting it would not be honorable, but less risky. In the end I choose not to go down this road at all, the safest choice.
Sorta like driving a Ferarri to work and parking it next to all the VW's. and econoboxes...It just raises questions about values, right?
Old Jun 30, 2005, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On a similar note, I was pricing some flights SJC-BOS and told UAL.BOMB that I wanted lowest economy. It kept pulling up the QUP fares that put you in first. How do these show up on the ual e-ticket receipt? My company would refuse to reimburse if it says first class.
Old Jun 30, 2005, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
Originally Posted by Baze
On a similar note, I was pricing some flights SJC-BOS and told UAL.BOMB that I wanted lowest economy. It kept pulling up the QUP fares that put you in first. How do these show up on the ual e-ticket receipt? My company would refuse to reimburse if it says first class.
They show up as First Class. If you can somehow prove that it is the cheapest fare, I can't see why they wouldn't reimburse you.
Old Jun 30, 2005, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by qasr
They show up as First Class. If you can somehow prove that it is the cheapest fare, I can't see why they wouldn't reimburse you.
Because my company is very anal about these things.
Old Jul 13, 2005, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
Received my first Premium Upgrade offer - $500 for upgrade SEA-DEN, DEN-ORD, and ORD-SEA on a $419 base fare. The latter two are 763MDs, so just domestic F, so I passed. I'll either use certs or enjoy 21B.

The A fare was $1200, so I'd almost rather do that then pay $900 for NF.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.