FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger-504/)
-   -   Anyone Remember When... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger/397039-anyone-remember-when.html)

iluv2fly Jun 21, 2007 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by UNITED959 (Post 7933783)
I remember being asked, "Now, would you like a kiddie meal or are you a big boy and want an adult meal?" :D

Wasn't this last week? :rolleyes:

DreamlinerII Jun 21, 2007 1:55 pm

Anyone remember the the lounge in the 'hump' on the 70's era 747's? I never got to fly in one back then but got a tour on the ground at LAX as a kid.

There was always an open bar and it was almost like your own private lounge....whatever happened to the good old days or are they coming back with the 380's?

Buster CT1K Jun 21, 2007 2:00 pm

Can the reduction of the cost of a seat on a plane really be the cause of the awfulness of the service on UA these days?

jzoz01 Jun 21, 2007 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by Buster CT1K (Post 7938454)
Can the reduction of the cost of a seat on a plane really be the cause of the awfulness of the service on UA these days?

Yes. How much would you be willing to pay for that seat that got meat carving and better service? Most people would rather have the cheap flight and that's the direction it's gone

fastair Jun 21, 2007 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by DreamlinerII (Post 7935983)
Does anyone remember the "Carving Board Service" that was available in F-class on evening meals on these planes from ORD-West Coast? (I also believe it was available on the few DC-8 flights too).

I used to fly SFO/JFK once a week, for three years, a few years back and remember the Carving Board Service and Ice Cream Sundae carts. Too bad UA has fallen so far so slowly......

At least it costs less today then it did then. Now you can take the entire family for the price of a rountrip (0-6 advanced purchase) single person back then. Oh, and the cost of fuel hasn't even been passed on either.

No excuses though, I do miss the F seats on the 10. They could rotate 180 degrees and a group of (4) could face each other with a card table added to the center for a game of Scrabble.

And from the jingle of the 1982 ad...I remember it...and UA went from "50,000 strong" to 110,000 strong in 2000, back to 50,000 strong again. Ouch...the more some things change (service/food/cost to fly for UA (fuel, fees, planes)) the more others stay the same (price of ticket, salary of workers, quantity of workers.)

De-regulation, I spit at thee!!!!!

On the plus side, we do have more frequency/routing options as well as fancy destinations that you need to cross an ocean to get to...and quieter engines!

civicmon Jun 21, 2007 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by iluv2fly (Post 7938428)

with that shaved chest of his, I'd probably be forced to ask the same question.

NickP 1K Jun 21, 2007 5:49 pm

Stop teasing!

I remember the BOS-LAX trans cons with the deli cart as the pre-arrival snack....

You could still get Sundae's in F even on mid-cons.

We had no IFE, No power ports, no gimmicks, older aircraft but service with a smile.

UNITED959 Jun 21, 2007 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by iluv2fly (Post 7938428)

Maybe. Why? A little jealous because they usually ask if you ordered the jello and applesauce meal? :D

UNITED959 Jun 21, 2007 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by civicmon (Post 7939320)
with that shaved chest of his, I'd probably be forced to ask the same question.

:rolleyes:

zoegksf Jun 21, 2007 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by aep (Post 7934221)
The old WN commercials on youtube are something else entirely. Apparently their FAs have always had awful uniforms...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TR7JApjgIGw

Boy those old 737's sure burn dirty - that's one thing I don't miss

Ripper3785 Jun 21, 2007 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by zoegksf (Post 7939691)
Boy those old 737's sure burn dirty - that's one thing I don't miss

Aww come on. Aloha still flies them. Heck, maybe even that SAME one. ;)

unitedelitewannabe Jun 21, 2007 10:21 pm

that ad is amazing, that's all i got to say.

lihue1k Jun 21, 2007 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by JerseyJoe (Post 7932855)
Does anyone remember the "Carving Board Service" that was available in F-class on evening meals on these planes from ORD-West Coast? (I also believe it was available on the few DC-8 flights too).

Yes, I sure do.

Of course, I also remember Pan Am making cooked to order eggs for breakfast.

Two over medium please. . .

Lihue1k

JerseyJoe Jun 22, 2007 7:18 am

Rar! Cooked to order eggs! Ah, could I have my UAMcmuffin done a little more please. ;) Neither my dad (who flew a lot way back when) nor I ever flew PanAm. Dad did remind me about the United men only (!) service between ORD and LGA or EWR. He said they used to pass out "premium cigars" in F class.

DogHead Jun 22, 2007 8:07 am

Originally Posted by JerseyJoe (Post 7941658)
... He said they used to pass out "premium cigars" in F class ...

Was Bill Clinton flying then?