Strange Call from UA.

Old Dec 29, 2004, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Since the award ticket was already issued, and this was a UA-only award ticket, the credit card number is already in the e-ticketing data. I can't imagine why UA would need that, so yes, this does sound fishy.
Old Dec 29, 2004, 6:27 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Welcome back UnitedSkies.

Off the topic, welcome back UnitedSkies, I am glad you are home safe and sound with your entire family. What an experience you lived through at Puhket! I learned something new about tsunami from you.
Old Dec 29, 2004, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

And the funny part...this would not have been a problem if the person who wanted me to go on this trip hadn't bailed!!
Old Dec 29, 2004, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GodOSpoons
Since we're talking about... what *IS* your credit card number.

Timothy
I'll give you mine if you give me yours.
Old Dec 29, 2004, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
This takes me back to a thread a few months ago, about united.com support people asking for your password to deal with tech issues. If you gave it out, this is how they use it (or sell it) to access your account, get your travel info, and take over your life. To those who were asking then what the harm was in giving out your password, this is it.
Old Dec 29, 2004, 7:02 pm

Programs: UA G-1MM/*G, B6 Mosaicm, DL G, HH S, Bonvoy(...?) Plat, Avis PS, Hertz 5*, Nat ExVIP
Originally Posted by UNITED959
I'll give you mine if you give me yours.
Deal. But you'll have to give me a different number since I'll sharing with at least TWO people now.

Timothy
Old Dec 30, 2004, 12:09 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler 1K, AA Plat, Delta Gold, Marriott Plat etc etc
I still don't understand how the guy had the itinerary...

Weird!

Another ID theft trick is to capture PIN numbers from security cameras or phone-cameras, but apparently people don't know about this or think about it because I still get funny looks and comments when I cover the keypad while entering my PIN.
Old Dec 30, 2004, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by ldsant
As somebody who has experienced identity theft twice in the last three years (and thank you to MBNA for being so fabulous! ^ ). . .do not EVER give out your CC # to somebody who calls YOU.

The best thing to have done would have been to say "you know, how about if I call you back with that? I'm currently in a meeting. Could I please have your direct extension or your agent # so I can reach you or your supervisor?"

UA has profiles where they have previously asked for a credit card number (at least the PremEx desk always has mine when I call in). As a previous poster mentioned, call your credit card company now and report that you would like them to watch for your "out of spending" ranges in the next few weeks.
I would also advise you to put a "security" alert on your credit record, which alerts creditors to potential fraudulent activity. You can do this with 1 phone call to one of the three credit reporting bureaus (Experian, Equifax, or TransUnion). They will automatically make sure that it goes to all three bureaus.
Old Dec 30, 2004, 2:58 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Credit bureau phone numbers here . I have my reports flagged due to identity theft. The upside is you'll stop getting all those free credit card offers in the mail, which I don't miss at all. You may also get turned down for new cards you apply for (I was turned down by Citibank), but a phone call usually staightens those out (they have to make sure it's really you, versus whoever has your identifying information). The only real problem I had was with T-Mobile, who wanted me to bring a utility bill and my social security card in to activate service, and I told them that was not going to happen.
Old Dec 30, 2004, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by tom911
The only real problem I had was with T-Mobile, who wanted me to bring a utility bill and my social security card in to activate service, and I told them that was not going to happen.
Who the fack comes up with these "policies" at these companies?

If one of my guys made my potential customers jump through these kinds of hoops to do business, I'd have his ... rolling on the street before he could say, "Unthinking corporate drone."

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.