Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

1P/1K 100% bonus for UA-mktd flights on Asiana metal?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2004, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K

I noticed that I did not get my 100% mileage bonus for a recent flight that was marketed as a UA flight (UA flight number and all) but was on Asiana metal.

What if the flight was marketed as an Asiana flight and was on UA metal? Would I have gotten the bonus then?

I'm assuming not, in which case this seems kind of unfair because then they have you coming and going -- one of the two of those situations ought to be deemed a UNITED flight.

Thoughts?
Old Dec 28, 2004, 3:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, JL Sapphire
I got surprised by this one last year on a UA flt# operated by NH. Afterwards, I complained to the 1K desk because it was not obvious to me when I made the reservation and they took my ignorance into consideration. Now I know better.
Old Dec 28, 2004, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by eviltwin

What if the flight was marketed as an Asiana flight and was on UA metal? Would I have gotten the bonus then?

I'm assuming not...

Thoughts?
Your assumption is wrong. Actually you will get bonus from united regardless which airline issure the ticket.
Old Dec 28, 2004, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by gachen
Your assumption is wrong. Actually you will get bonus from united regardless which airline issure the ticket.
Okay, so just to be really clear:

Partner-marketed flight with partner flight number flown on UA metal = 100% bonus.

UA-marketed flight with UA flight number flown on partner metal = no bonus (unless on US Airways or Lufthansa trans-atlantic)

Please confirm or disconfirm, anyone?
Old Dec 28, 2004, 6:04 pm

Programs: NorthSails® | Starboard | ION
Your confirmation:

Partner-marketed flight with partner flight number flown on UA metal = 100% bonus.
Yes. This flight is what UA and MP refer to as a "reverse codeshare."

UA-marketed flight with UA flight number flown on partner metal = no bonus (unless on US Airways or Lufthansa trans-atlantic)
Correct again.
Old Dec 28, 2004, 9:03 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Just another example (of many) that codeshares are outright fraud.

If UA is going to put their flight number on a flight operated by any other carrier, it should be treated as a UA flight for all benefit purposes.
Old Dec 28, 2004, 9:18 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Always Flyin

If UA is going to put their flight number on a flight operated by any other carrier, it should be treated as a UA flight for all benefit purposes.
I couldn't agree more! ^
Old Dec 28, 2004, 9:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by Always Flyin

I agree too. I think this is what AA does.

A helpful way to think of it, under the UA rules, is the following: When there's UA flight operated by another airline (e.g. NH), it's not UA who's putting their flight number on the NH flight, it's NH who's putting their flight on the UA number. Same thing in the opposite direction--when there's an NH flight number operated by UA, it's UA whose getting the benefit by being able to sell their own seats to customers who might initially have been geared towards flying with NH. I think that this way of looking at it helps to explain why the system works the way it does.

Many people have complained about the fact that ua.com sometimes gives many options of flights operated by US and very few of flights operated by UA. I remember someone once posted that there was an agreement under which UA promissed to mix in US-operated flights in with its own and US did the same thing. So, for me, the lesson was that a for an airline, the benefit of a code-share agreement is the fact that another airline will sell your seats. The cost is the fact that you have to try and sell their through your booking channels (i.e. by attaching your flight number to their flights).

The above isn't true for all code-share agreements, but I think it fits for many. UA and LH have a renevue-sharing deal, so, in this case, it's a whole nother ballgame.
Old Dec 29, 2004, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This text is found prominently displayed in the Mileage Plus section of ual.com...

"PLEASE NOTE: The mileage accrual of United marketed code share flights operated by other carriers is based on the accrual rule of the operating carrier."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.