Wiki Posts
Search

Which Secondary FF Program

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2004, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS/1K/MM, VA Gold, DL Gold
Which Secondary FF Program

With frequent B class rtw trips from Syd, and going well over 200EQM each year, I'm thinking that I should get into either the SQ or LH program so that I can get some benefits on the other half of each trip without losing out on UA benefits. Recommendations?
Old Dec 27, 2004, 5:30 pm

SQ is not a great program if you are not flying premier cabins. LH can be a great program if you fly premium cabins and a not too bad benefits if you only fly coach (at least compared to most non-US airlines). But if you truly want to diversify and do RTWs, I would recommend belonging to AA or BA FF programs using OneWorld roundtrips. Between *A and OW, the choices are very good for most things and a good hedge against one of the majors in the US going under.
Old Dec 27, 2004, 5:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by venk
SQ is not a great program if you are not flying premier cabins. LH can be a great program if you fly premium cabins and a not too bad benefits if you only fly coach (at least compared to most non-US airlines). But if you truly want to diversify and do RTWs, I would recommend belonging to AA or BA FF programs using OneWorld roundtrips. Between *A and OW, the choices are very good for most things and a good hedge against one of the majors in the US going under.
If you want to do RTWs wouldn't it be better to put all the eggs in one alliance?

LH is pretty good in terms of mileage accumulation, even better than UA on higher-fare classes. I'd say that would be a better fit than SQ as a second program.
Old Dec 27, 2004, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA G-1MM/*G, B6 Mosaicm, DL G, HH S, Bonvoy(...?) Plat, Avis PS, Hertz 5*, Nat ExVIP
I'd say that LH and UA aren't all that different and, in your case, if UA went bankrupt, I'm sure that LH would take you on ASAP (not that it would do you any good... not much of a US route network on LH!).

I'd also say ix nay on BA's program... most people go the AA route for the richer benefits (BA is quite nasty to any flyer that isn't paying top dollar, though RTWs tend to be considered such). Also, I hate BA. They keep losing my luggage or treating me like crap.

Timothy
Old Dec 27, 2004, 6:05 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
full fares on LH

Generally LH would be the natural choice as they honour upgrades and seat assignments .... but they do not honour the UA B fares.
So any B fare purchased on UA will give you a miserable 100% to 125% (once your reach 35K anually) on LH. Only Bs on LOT, AUA, and LH will earn you a 150%+25% EQM.
Plus LH miles live three years if you do not make at least FQT level (35K EQM per annum in Oz).

SQ and TG host useless FFs for non C or F cabin travellers. NH would be rewarding but has an expiration date on miles. In *A, only AC comes within reach of UA's offerings but is no use to you as it seems.

In contrast to the other posters, I rate M&M ways inferior to MP (I am Gold with both) and would no longer join the revised M&M post August 2004.

If you need some 'insurance' for an ailing UA, just fly a low percentage of miles with LH, so that they more easily would accept you in case UA
suddenly shrank a lot.
Plus why would UA jettisons the very profitable transpacs - this seems unlikely.
Old Dec 27, 2004, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
If you want to do RTWs wouldn't it be better to put all the eggs in one alliance?
For the same trip yes, LH would be a good bet for that rather than SQ. The status lasts for two years and so you can diversify further after qualifying one year and status bonuses as EQMs on LH add up quickly. But one caveat, the benefits of status by getting status in their own program (above and beyond just using *A Gold status) isn't that significant in either of those programs unless flying premium cabins.

I was also recommending diversifying across trips by not putting all eggs in one basket of *A.
Old Dec 27, 2004, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
As you noted you fly a great deal to SYD, QF (Qantas) would have been a natural bet before they jacked up their awards program.

Still, as QF is a One World member, you can fly them and credit to AA.

LH is probably your best choice within Star, but as others noted, it would be a lot better if you flew paid Business or First.
Old Dec 27, 2004, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS/1K/MM, VA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by SEA_Tigger
LH is probably your best choice within Star, but as others noted, it would be a lot better if you flew paid Business or First.
It would be a lot better in many ways if I flew paid Business or First I do this maybe twice a year when flights are full in coach or schedule is particularly demanding.

Probably should have pointed out that the main reason for wanting into another program is to get some upgrades on the Europe - Sydney segments. Paper SWU on LH which only clear at the gate isn't ideal, and SG doesn't recognise UA upgrades either certs or miles.

LH sounds like the better program, but that probably doesn't help with the Asia - Sydney upgrades (although I can survive that).
Old Dec 27, 2004, 7:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, JL Sapphire
Good question. I went through the same thought process 18 months ago.

Air Canada is where I put my miles in excess what it takes me to get to 1K. I'm happy with that decision for several reasons including:

^ AC has a very good international upgrade scheme which makes up for the lack of 2x bonus miles I'd get by flying on UA.

^ You will get Star Alliance Gold status on AC at 35K miles.

^ AC *G status will buy you entry into UA RCC clubs.

The downside with AC is that you only get bonus miles at certain mileage thresholds.

On the other hand, if I were doing mostly domestic US travel, I might consider CO or NW who give free FC upgrades. I'm even considering that more now that United has "Tedified" PHX which means I'm almost always in coach when flying domestic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.