Immigration procedures for UA839

Old Dec 22, 2004, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Immigration procedures for UA839

Looking at a ridiculous MR (LHR-LAX-SYD-MEL-SYD-LAX-IAD-LHR) in April. I intend to get to MEL at 09:40 then depart back to LAX at 11:25 on the same day.

Am I correct in assuming that passengers on this flight would clear customs and immigration at SYD as this is the point of entry into Australia?

Do you think that the 1:45 turnaround would be a problem?

Thanks for any help!
Old Dec 22, 2004, 12:52 pm

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by adamwebster
Looking at a ridiculous MR (LHR-LAX-SYD-MEL-SYD-LAX-IAD-LHR)
Oh, the pain, the pain, the pain. Good luck!
Old Dec 22, 2004, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K; AA GLD
Looking at a ridiculous MR (LHR-LAX-SYD-MEL-SYD-LAX-IAD-LHR) in April. I intend to get to MEL at 09:40 then depart back to LAX at 11:25 on the same day.

Am I correct in assuming that passengers on this flight would clear customs and immigration at SYD as this is the point of entry into Australia?

Thanks for any help!
You would not be forced to disembark (for customs etc) at SYD if you are flying on to MEL. 1hr 45 may be pushing it a little, if you have checked luggage. Otherwise, my guess is you should be fine.
Old Dec 22, 2004, 1:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K
(Hit reply just a tad too late..)
Old Dec 22, 2004, 1:58 pm

If you are flying onto MEL,then you will clear customs / immigration at MEL.
Your plan could come unstuck is if your westbound transpac flight were late and you miss the UA service onto MEL. In this case, you would be connected onto a domestic service for the SYD-MEL segment(QF DJ) and then the delays would start and you would no doubt miss the return.
Of course though ,if you became aware of this problem,presumably you could just remain at SYD and return back the the US.
good luck
Ozflier
Old Dec 22, 2004, 7:29 pm

Programs: UA Nobody (former 1K, 1P, 2P), QFF Nobody, Skywards Nobody
I think it will make you look very suspicious to immigration and customs. That in itself may delay you, even as you explain what a mileage run is.

The turn-around time is very tight if immigration is busy (I'm presuming you won't have checked bags?). Your onward flight may be boarding before you get around to check back in again.

And of course there is no real margin for delay. If you miss MEL-SYD I don't know what options you would have to get to SYD in time for the LAX flight.
Old Dec 22, 2004, 7:46 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
You will clear customs in MEL as the last person mentioned. I doubt you will have too much of a wait during the immigration process, MEL seems to be pretty quick.
Old Dec 22, 2004, 7:50 pm

I'm curious, does one even need to clear immigration? Can someone stay in the boarding area and recheck in (effectively as a transit passenger) at say the RCC? (I've never arrived at MEL on UA, only departed from there, so I don't know how the terminal is designed.)
Old Dec 23, 2004, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BrisbanePE
I think it will make you look very suspicious to immigration and customs. That in itself may delay you, even as you explain what a mileage run is.
If I dont' do LHR-LAX-SYD-MEL-SYD-LAX-IAD-LHR I'd go with LHR-LAX-SYD-LAX-IAD-LHR instead.

So you'd think I'd have the same issue with immigration & customs but then I'd have 6 hours on the ground at SYD to sort out any problems.

Anyway, what's the worst immigration and customs can do? Send me back on the first available flight? Well, I suppose that is MY intention anyway!
Old Dec 23, 2004, 9:25 am

Definitely miss the MEL portion - its only 1000 EQM miles combined and you will then have heaps of time. You could even visit downtown Sydney before your afternoon return to LAX.
Old Dec 23, 2004, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by fjgolder
Definitely miss the MEL portion - its only 1000 EQM miles combined and you will then have heaps of time. You could even visit downtown Sydney before your afternoon return to LAX.
That is a much better idea. Or, grab a shower in SYD. I would be dying after that long without a shower. I am sure that your seatmate on the way home would appreciate it too!
Old Dec 23, 2004, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

What made the SYD-MEL-SYD add-on worth considering was the fact that I would earn an extra 1000 or so miles but, more influentially, the ticket was actually about Ł50 cheaper than getting off at SYD.

I think I'll play safe though and just go to SYD.

Thanks for all your input.
Old Dec 23, 2004, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by fjgolder
Agree absolutely.
Ozflier
Old Dec 23, 2004, 7:17 pm

Programs: UA MM, DL DM
While in SYD, the Air NZ lounge is the by far the nicest in my brief experience. Don't even bother going into the RCC, you're much better off sitting in terminal.

Whatever status you are going to get isn't worth that trip - I don't care if there are 72 virgins waiting for you in heaven upon disembarking.

Good luck, TJ
Old Dec 23, 2004, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Would he even have to go through customs in SYD?

It's been a couple years, but IIRC, the UA flight would offload airside, you reclear security, and so long as you stay in the airside area and visit the concierge to check in, I don't think customs would come into play.

With that said, SYD is such a beautiful city, that turning around in 6 hours is really a disgrace. If you can swing it, spend some time there if you're going to do that much flying.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.