Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Received my thanks for flying card from the pilot [merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2004, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Location: Los Angeles, CA USA UA Premier Plat , 1.24MM, AA EXP

I flew ORD to LAX last Sunday and as the flight was in its last hour, an FA stopped by and dropped one of those business cards with a personal thank you note from the pilot for flying UA so much. I know this topic has been discussed in other threads already, but after five years as a 1K, it was the first time I've been thanked in that manner as a lucky recipient of a note from the pilot. I actually felt quite nice about it. I wonder how its decided when to thank frequent pax by handwritten card?
Old Dec 15, 2004, 11:27 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Hilton Silver
That's a nice touch.
Old Dec 15, 2004, 11:44 am

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Jimbo
I wonder how its decided when to thank frequent pax by handwritten card?
Basically pilot preference with probably a suggestion from WHQ...

Anyway, it wouldn't be such a nice touch if it was a mandate...
Old Dec 15, 2004, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
I only had it happen once about two years ago, thought at the time it was a great gesture and still believe that (was 1P at the time) I still have his card.
Old Dec 15, 2004, 2:14 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
I have a few from a couple of years ago as well. I have not seen it since but have always thought it was a nice touch. Seems like a few flights I have seen the FA's handing some cards to a couple of pax, I assumed it was a UGS thing but at any rate nice touch.
Old Dec 15, 2004, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K since 1998 & 3 Million Miler & ex-GS; DL Diamond 2015-2022; BAEC Silver; Bonvoy LT Titanium
I too have received a few cards over the past few years. On a SFO-JFK flight the pilot (or maybe first officer?) came out to greet all the F pax and personally give out his card. That was nice. He just said "hi" and thanked us all for flying.
Old Dec 15, 2004, 4:13 pm

Programs: UA, AA, BA
Had similar happen yesterday IAD-LAX. Captain Hansen did the cards via the purser. (Have started a mini-collection of his cards from various A320-A319 flights.) Plus he stood in the galley to greet pax as we boarded...and was by the forward door again as we deplaned in LA to say thank you. A really nice touch...and genuine (not some forced PR thing). Whole crew was great...esp the LAS based purser. (Letter complementing all in mail to WHQ.) There are times when the real spirit of UA shines through.
Old Dec 15, 2004, 10:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, UA LT-Gold, SPG Plat, HH Dia, Hyatt Dia, MR Gold
I was on UA 838 NRT-SFO on Tues, and the purser came by and thanked me as a 1K for flying with them. First time ever, but then, I was travelling in F then.

The purser on UA 838 SIN-NRT flight mentioned over the PA system..."We know you have a choice and we appreciate you in choosing United during this difficult and trying times..."

On both flights, F was full, so I guess UA is making good revenue.
Old Dec 15, 2004, 10:57 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by ws8n
On both flights, F was full, so I guess UA is making good revenue.
You didn't peek at the manifest, I assume
Old Dec 16, 2004, 2:13 am

Programs: NorthSails® | Starboard | ION
Originally Posted by Jimbo
...after five years as a 1K, it was the first time I've been thanked in that manner as a lucky recipient of a note from the pilot...
Congratulations.

I have yet to receive one...
Old Dec 16, 2004, 5:37 am

Location: UA 1K 3MM, UA 1P/1K since mid '80s; CO Bronze/Silver since mid 80's, Austin, Texas
I've received four in the past five years. Always nice. And memorable as well, since I remember just about each one.

As the above reports reveal, this two-minute gesture creates enormous good will and loyalty. I'm perplexed as to why it doesn't happen more often. The effort required is negligible. Cost is nothing. The upside in sales is huge. I've said this before: I think when a captain signs a thank you note to 1Ks or even 1Ps, it's like printing money for UA. I'd hate to see it bureaucratized, with pre-printed thank you notes rubber-stamped by the cockpit crew, but surely UA could encourage gestures of appreciation for the few pax who fly/pay the most. Why doesn't it happen more often?
Old Dec 16, 2004, 6:46 am

Programs: UA 1KMMGS, EK Skywards Silver, SPG Gold,
I've had it happen twice, once in coach and once in FC. Both times, coincidentally, when travelling with my wife, who seems to think that this is a regular occurrence for the exalted status of 1K (and has no sympathy when I explain that a UGS squshes me like a bug).

To recollection, they were actually given to me by the pilot, though now that I think about it, neither since 9/11
Old Dec 16, 2004, 9:27 pm

Programs: UA Platinum 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
I got one of the signed pilot cards flying in F class to Beijing in November. Nice touch. Showed up when I was out of my seat so I don't know who delivered it. Has a email address for the pilot but I haven't tried to send him a note...

Robert
Old Dec 17, 2004, 12:23 am

pilot cards

Six years as a 1K and never a pilot card for me
Old Dec 17, 2004, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by RuggerDC
Had similar happen yesterday IAD-LAX. Captain Hansen did the cards via the purser. (Have started a mini-collection of his cards from various A320-A319 flights.) Plus he stood in the galley to greet pax as we boarded...and was by the forward door again as we deplaned in LA to say thank you. A really nice touch...and genuine (not some forced PR thing). Whole crew was great...esp the LAS based purser. (Letter complementing all in mail to WHQ.) There are times when the real spirit of UA shines through.
I got one earlier this year, also from Capt. Hansen via the flight attendant. A very nice touch.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.