Wiki Posts
Search

Booking 777XC/XI Y seats 17-19 H and J

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2004, 10:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UAL
Question Booking 777XC/XI Y seats 17-19 H and J

(I searched for this answer, couldn't find it. Apologies if it's already been answered)

Does anyone know what the requirements are to be able to book seats 17 through 19 H or J on a 777XC/XI in advance?

These are those six seats at the right front of coach that have more legroom, recline further and have a footrest. I've been able to get them a few times at check-in at the airport, but never any other way.
Old Dec 9, 2004, 10:53 pm
dcr

Programs: UA 2P, Hyatt Gold
In my experience, on International flights, these seats are crew rest seats and cannot be booked. On domestic flights, I've never seen them occupied by crew, but they usually do not show up on the website as available for booking when the 777 flight nr. continues on to an International destination.
Old Dec 9, 2004, 11:33 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
There is no way to pre-assign these seats on a domestic flight. You have to switch to them at check-in.
Old Dec 10, 2004, 5:59 am

17H and J are 100% crewrest seats. No chance. I like 17G as an aisle person
Old Dec 10, 2004, 8:46 am
J-H

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AA EXP
Talking You CAN Reserve these seats...

You ARE able to get these seats on flights where crew rest seats are not required (I think it depends on the time of day, but generally 6 hours or less), but usually only at check in, and I think only for status pax.

For example, SIN-NRT is available, but not NRT-SIN because the latter is 1 hr longer in duration. They are wonderful seats, and what I would call "real E+" If UA came up with economy plus comprised of these seats, I wouldn't bother upgrading to C.
Old Dec 10, 2004, 9:28 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

On every international flight I've seen, those seats are crew rest and never offered up to passengers.. except for one occasion where a female passenger somehow boarded the plane fine.. but limped her way into a crew rest seat.

The seats behind the crew rest area (21H/J) are excellent.. and can be reserved in advance!
Old Dec 10, 2004, 9:29 am

As a non-crew member, you could always shoot for 21H or 21J. No footrests and I assume less recline (sorry, don't carry on a protractor), but more than enough legroom for the person in 21J to exit his seat and not disturb the person in 21H.

Another "feature" that I particularly like about these two seats are the video monitors mounted on swing arms rather than in the seatback in front.

Seatguru.com criticizes these as having potential for passengers to mill about in the area, but I've yet to experience that unless the milling passengers were in fact talking to either of the people seated in the two seats.
Old Dec 10, 2004, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by izzik
On every international flight I've seen, those seats are crew rest and never offered up to passengers

The seats behind the crew rest area (21H/J) are excellent.. and can be reserved in advance!

I think the OP is talking domestic, and that is possible

21H/J are really the best Y seat on the plane.
Old Dec 10, 2004, 10:21 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
If you have to sit in Y and can book an A/B/H/J seat in E+ on the T7, it isn't actually the seat that has to be endured...

Last edited by cawhite60156; Dec 10, 2004 at 6:33 pm
Old Dec 10, 2004, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by anc-ord772
I think the OP is talking domestic, and that is possible

21H/J are really the best Y seat on the plane.
Yeah, I just sat on 21H today. I tried to switch to 17-19 H or J last night with online checkin and couldn't do it - they were already gone.

So either there's a lot of people doing online checkin who are smart enough to grab those seats a day in advance, or they're being booked in advance. I doubt that there was 6 folks who tried online checkin and changed to 17-19 H or J, so my guess is that there must be a way to book those seats in advance.

FWIW, I like 17B or 17C better, but they were both already gone when I booked the flight two or three months ago
Old Dec 10, 2004, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by Sneezy
so my guess is that there must be a way to book those seats in advance.

FWIW, I like 17B or 17C better
Let us know when that happens.
17 could be better but I prefer a window, and 21J is amazing ^
Old Dec 10, 2004, 8:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by anc-ord772
Let us know when that happens.
17 could be better but I prefer a window, and 21J is amazing ^
Yeah, of that big silver wing.
Old Jan 17, 2009, 3:54 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA Plat
Originally Posted by Sneezy
Yeah, I just sat on 21H today. I tried to switch to 17-19 H or J last night with online checkin and couldn't do it - they were already gone.

So either there's a lot of people doing online checkin who are smart enough to grab those seats a day in advance, or they're being booked in advance. I doubt that there was 6 folks who tried online checkin and changed to 17-19 H or J, so my guess is that there must be a way to book those seats in advance.

FWIW, I like 17B or 17C better, but they were both already gone when I booked the flight two or three months ago
I've searched to try to find out when 17-19 HJ become available (if at all) during OLCI on a domestic run of a 777 (XC/XI), but I can't really seem to find much discussion, except for this very old thread. Does anyone know when those seats will become available? We are waitlisted for an upgrade using e-500's so I want to OLCI right at 24 hours, but I might take the chance a waiting until later if it seems that the crew rest seats become available closer to flight time. Another post suggested it was 6 hours out, but I am not sure if that's just pure speculation.

p.s. What is the reason that these seats are blocked on domestic flights in the first place?
Old Jan 17, 2009, 4:36 pm

Programs: AA/UA/DL
Originally Posted by izzik
On every international flight I've seen, those seats are crew rest and never offered up to passengers.. except for one occasion where a female passenger somehow boarded the plane fine.. but limped her way into a crew rest seat.

These seat can be offered to passengers on short haul international flight.
If UA adds those footrest, I would love to buy E+ access every year if I were not an elite member.
I believe that those seats be opened up few hours (maybe 24?) before departure.
Here is my travel with the crew rest seat.
Old Jan 17, 2009, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by pigx5
These seat can be offered to passengers on short haul international flight.
If UA adds those footrest, I would love to buy E+ access every year if I were not an elite member.
Don't fool yourself, it UA add footrest to the E+ seat, they can further take out one seat from each row, become a true premium economy product similiar to BA, NH, NZ and BR. At that time, they would only limit to only 4 or 5 rows in 747 and 777, plus only full fare Y and B class can book into it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.