Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2004, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plt, FB Silver
bmi granted rights to India

Please see:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=376926\

Service to begin 3/27/05.

This would seem to make UA's flights to LHR more valuable, and potentially more lucrative.
Old Dec 5, 2004, 5:14 pm

Great news

This was in all the UK news. BA and Virgin are expanding their services as well and both BA and BMI will be flying to BLR in addition to BOM and DEL by 2006.

Great news for both *A and OW for the choices and the competition is expected to bring the price down noticeably (as BMI claims in its PR). This breaks the LH monopoly in *A for routes via Europe. The increase in seats available for both paid AND award travel is a welcome trend.

What I cannot understand is how was this decision made by the UK authorities by themselves? I thought airlines had trouble getting slots to India because of Indian regulations or is that a problem only for US airlines?
Old Dec 5, 2004, 5:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold; VA Velocity Gold; LH FTL; Marriott Gold; ICHG Platinum AMB; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by venk
This was in all the UK news. BA and Virgin are expanding their services as well and both BA and BMI will be flying to BLR in addition to BOM and DEL by 2006.

Great news for both *A and OW for the choices and the competition is expected to bring the price down noticeably (as BMI claims in its PR). This breaks the LH monopoly in *A for routes via Europe. The increase in seats available for both paid AND award travel is a welcome trend.

What I cannot understand is how was this decision made by the UK authorities by themselves? I thought airlines had trouble getting slots to India because of Indian regulations or is that a problem only for US airlines?
The extra slots were negotiated between the UK and Indian governments (they agreed to more than double the available slots for UK carriers, in exchange for AI getting more slots and access to UK regional airports like MAN). The slots given by the Indians were even assigned to specific airports (BOM, DEL, MAA and BLR).

Needless to say all three UK carriers wanted just about everything on offer. The UK Civil Aviation Authority held a hearing and then split up the rights.

BA will now serve BLR and MAA, while VS picked up a daily flight to DEL. VS and BD shared the slots to BOM.
Old Dec 5, 2004, 7:02 pm

Programs: UA MP
Finally..

That's great news! This means I won't have to go through FRA and travel with LH! Oh Happy Day!
Old Dec 6, 2004, 1:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP; UAMM
Originally Posted by onlyflybmi/UA
That's great news! This means I won't have to go through FRA and travel with LH! Oh Happy Day!
I just returned yesterday from a trip MUC-DEL-MUC on LH. They have the new lie-flat business seats on that flight, so the flight was very nice. Great cabin service, nice stop in the Senator's club in MUC airport (a great new airport ^ ). I was impressed overall.

I think the secret is to fly through MUC.
Old Dec 6, 2004, 4:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold; VA Velocity Gold; LH FTL; Marriott Gold; ICHG Platinum AMB; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by nor4

I think the secret is to fly through MUC.
Got it in one. The new terminal is very nice, with a very simple layout and decent lounges.
Old Dec 6, 2004, 4:31 pm

But isn't MUC the home of the infamous LH lounge matron, the role model for all IAD RCC employees?
Old Dec 6, 2004, 5:50 pm

Programs: MP 1K
IIRC, BA used to fly to MAA a few times a week even before this. I guess they will incrase the frequency of the service.

BA will now serve BLR and MAA, while VS picked up a daily flight to DEL. VS and BD shared the slots to BOM.[/QUOTE]
Old Dec 6, 2004, 6:21 pm

Programs: United MM- Marriott Titanium - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum
Originally Posted by House
Got it in one. The new terminal is very nice, with a very simple layout and decent lounges.
Much much nicer than FRA indeed !!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.