SWUS TO COME EARLY, 125K bonus SWU out

Old Oct 7, 2004, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by PremEx

If there is no similar major Bonus EQM offer announced soon this year, I think the extra Systemwides for 100k BIS would not be offered again.
What about the early bird and 25k carry-over at the beginning of the year? Don't know how many people that affected, but those are some pretty substantial EQM bonuses.
Old Oct 7, 2004, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What about the early bird and 25k carry-over at the beginning of the year? Don't know how many people that affected, but those are some pretty substantial EQM bonuses.
Yes, but those Bonus EQMs won't qualify you for any True Flyer deals this year. For someone like me who will have flown way in access of 125k BIS this year, that 25k carry-over ended up being effectively worthless to me. It would have only been worth something if I came up short this year. But not knowing back in January if I'd hit 100k BIS again...I took the 25k just to be safe.

And that's a whole other deal and was related (earning-wise) to 2003 not 2004.

The 25k Sloppy Seconds carryover (or a gift Premier membership for someone else...your choice) was given for those that achieved 125k BIS in 2003.

So that particular promotion was more (philosophically) related to 2004's 125/150k offer, only it applied to 2003 earning-wise. In effect...it was 2003's "higher that 100k" plateau bonus.

Remains to be seen if that or any other 125k BIS plateau gift like this will be offered again. I think the 2 Systemwides at 125k this year probably replaced that. And they've certainly done away with the 125k extra Systemwides in 2005 at this point.

Last edited by PremEx; Oct 7, 2004 at 4:59 pm
Old Oct 7, 2004, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
I like it

Although I'm missing the first cut-off by a week or two, I'll get my SWUs in November and can now make real plans for February travel. ^ to UA, this is a good compromise on the SWU situation for this year.
Old Oct 7, 2004, 5:26 pm

Yes, but those Bonus EQMs won't qualify you for any True Flyer deals this year. For someone like me who will have flown way in access of 125k BIS this year, that 25k carry-over ended up being effectively worthless to me. It would have only been worth something if I came up short this year. But not knowing back in January if I'd hit 100k BIS again...I took the 25k just to be safe.

And that's a whole other deal and was related (earning-wise) to 2003 not 2004.

The 25k Sloppy Seconds carryover (or a gift Premier membership for someone else...your choice) was given for those that achieved 125k BIS in 2003.

So that particular promotion was more (philosophically) related to 2004's 125/150k offer, only it applied to 2003 earning-wise. In effect...it was 2003's "higher that 100k" plateau bonus.

Remains to be seen if that or any other 125k BIS plateau gift like this will be offered again. I think the 2 Systemwides at 125k this year probably replaced that. And they've certainly done away with the 125k extra Systemwides in 2005 at this point.
I guess my point is that, as with the EQM promo at the end of 2003, there are going to be some people (currently like myself) who will be 1K with somewehre between 75k and 99k BIS miles (or less if you also include the early-bird promotion). So following the logic last year of 'true-flyer' 1Ks getting a gift of two SWUs, would there also be a gift this year for true-flyers given all the '1K-lites' out there because of the roll-over and the early bird promos?

I agree that the promo itself was analagous to the 2004 125/150 BIS promo, but the effects (diluted 1K ranks) are the same as last year's big EQM promo that drove the decision for a 'true-flyer' award.

Just trying to decide if it is worth getting to 100k BIS or to start on the AA PLT challenge...
Old Oct 7, 2004, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So following the logic last year of 'true-flyer' 1Ks getting a gift of two SWUs, would there also be a gift this year for true-flyers given all the '1K-lites' out there because of the roll-over and the early bird promos?
I don't think that alone would be enough to incite another True Flyer gift being offered. Mainly because those that took advantage of the 25k Sloppy Seconds carry-over, were fully qualified True Flyer 1Ks to begin with. At most, all it bought a select few was another year of 1K if they only flew 75k-99k BIS this year. And many probably won't make 1K again even with the 25k carry-over.

And that's nowhere near the same swelling of the 1K ranks that broad and major Bonus EQM deals for all flyers generate.

My opinion is that only way you'd see another 100k BIS gift this year were if:

- United was desperate for more business from their mostly already high flyers, and they really thought a 100K BIS plateau gift of some sort was a big enough carrot

- They offered another major Bonus EQM deal to the general membership and felt they had to appease True Flyers again because of it.

My advise would be to not shoot for it at this point, especially if you think you'd have enough time in the months of November and December to do the extra (while still being able to get good fares perhaps), should they make such an announcement.

Last edited by PremEx; Oct 7, 2004 at 5:44 pm
Old Oct 7, 2004, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
I think some are confusing 2 separate deals. Those 2 deals were not related. Even though they were announced at the same time.

The 2 extra Systemwides for hitting 100k or 100 segments BIS last year were not tied into the extras for 125k or 150k.

The 2 extra Systemwides for hitting 100k or 100 segments BIS last year were "True Flyer" gifts meant to mainly appease the True Flyers because of the Bonus Double EQM offer of last year that many flyers achieved 1K Lite under. And to also get a few others to push to 100k BIS to get the gift.

If there is no similar major Bonus EQM offer announced soon this year, I think the extra Systemwides for 100k BIS would not be offered again.

But if they do end up offering some major Bonus EQM deal before the end of the year, I think they would consider offering a True Flyer gift of some sort once again to appease those that got their status the hard and original way. Of course, whatever True Flyer gift they offer this year (if they have to and if they do) could be something completely different than 2 additional Systemwides.

IMHO.
Call me confused. So many offers regarding status, miles, EQM, SWU, and all of them mixing in the replies here. A simple clarification for a simple mind, if someone can.

The way I read the e-mail and the 1K site is that everything applies to 2005, except the depositing of the SWUs. The earning of SWUs, the EQM thresholds, etc. are for miles earned after 12/31/04. Since I passed 1k+ several months ago, 4 SWUs will be deposited next week, 2 more in January. However, I don't recall, from all the offers flying around early this year, if there are extra SWUs for 125k or 150k BIS miles flown THIS year or not, which would be deposited in January. Any help?
Old Oct 7, 2004, 8:02 pm

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by flyinbob
However, I don't recall, from all the offers flying around early this year, if there are extra SWUs for 125k or 150k BIS miles flown THIS year or not, which would be deposited in January. Any help?
This is a published benefit. If you flew 125K/150K BIS miles this (2004) year, you will get extra SWUs a couple weeks after you pass the threshold, and they will be deposited within a couple of weeks or so after you pass the threshold, depending on the sweep. Someone with more time can supply the UA link.
Old Oct 7, 2004, 8:21 pm

Programs: NorthSails® | Starboard | ION
Originally Posted by Chapel Hill Guy
... Someone with more time can supply the UA link.
It's the Plus = more page:

• Two (2) Systemwide Upgrades upon reaching 125,000 flight miles* or 125 flight segments during 2004.
  • Two (2) additional Systemwide Upgrades after flying 150,000+ flight miles* or 150+ flight segments during 2004.
**Flight miles include travel flown on United, United Express, Ted and Star Alliance; flight mile and flight segment totals do not include promotional EQM/EQS.
Old Oct 7, 2004, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Someone with more time can supply the UA link.
You'll find it near the bottom of this page:

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,50622,00.html

Beat to it by seconds!
Old Oct 7, 2004, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
1, Has any 1K resident OUTSIDE North America received this email about this new deal? Pretty stupid policy not to advise all 1Ks. I have not received it, and can't see anyone posting above who is outside NA. Probably only a tiny % of 1ks read the 1k website.

2. My strong feeling is this has been done as many 1Ks were rightfully complaining that even if they'd made 1K now they could NOT upgrade any flights past end January. Witness the threads on FT over this. This is no way to retain the loyalty of your best customers, and this move addresses that.

3. Lots of guesses and opinions and sage in hindsight commentary above re expiry but nothing clarified officially from MP as far as I can see. My strong guess is that these will expire a year from when they are posted into our account, not Jan 31 2006. Especially as they are now giving more SWU based on your flying this seems fair and reasonable, and expiry a year later seems the only logical way to do this. i.e. just like HK49s are done.
Old Oct 7, 2004, 9:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM; SPG LT Platinum
Originally Posted by ozstamps

3. Lots of guesses and opinions and sage in hindsight commentary above re expiry but nothing clarified officially from MP as far as I can see. My strong guess is that these will expire a year from when they are posted into our account, not Jan 31 2006. Especially as they are now giving more SWU based on your flying this seems fair and reasonable, and expiry a year later seems the only logical way to do this. i.e. just like HK49s are done.
Actually, if you look on the 1K only website it specifically says the following:

"All six of these Systemwide Upgrades will be valid from the day they are deposited into the account through January 2006."

So it looks like, according to United, even though deposited on the 15th they will be valid thru 1/06, which is great news!!
Old Oct 7, 2004, 9:17 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
I think everyone is missing a very important point here. This is the first time we have seen a written statement saying that 1Ks will receive Systemwides in Jan. 2006(or earlier) for travel in 2005. Normally since this is an "unpublished" benefit, we never know for sure that we will receive them at all. Now we even have guidelines as to the quantity we can earn in 2005!
Old Oct 7, 2004, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by BaldEmu

Actually, if you look on the 1K only website it specifically says the following:

"All six of these Systemwide Upgrades will be valid from the day they are deposited into the account through January 2006."

So it looks like, according to United, even though deposited on the 15th they will be valid thru 1/06, which is great news!!
My bad .. now I look at 1K site you are 100% right.

Knowing UA's flip flops at times, a screen capture might be a wise idea.

Still be interested if any 1K who is NOT a Nth American resident has been advised of this by email? Hardly gives folks any advance warning that may well want to switch some flights to UA to take advantage of this.
Old Oct 7, 2004, 10:11 pm

Programs: WWMFD
I'll be happy if the 125K BIS bonus is not having to swipe my RCC card.
Old Oct 7, 2004, 10:16 pm

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by ozstamps
1, Has any 1K resident OUTSIDE North America received this email about this new deal?
Don't believe an email was sent. Saw it first here on FT, then checked the 1K site.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.