Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SWUS TO COME EARLY, 125K bonus SWU out

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2004, 10:19 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by UNITED959
No need to get your undies in a bunch...the 125k threshold will still be valid for the 2004 qualification period. It's not like they extended the offer to us in Jan/Feb and are now taking it away. That would be suicidal.

Aaaah....okay. Thanks for clearing that up! ^

Now my blood is pumping at a much more normal rate... .
Old Oct 7, 2004, 11:10 am

Programs: UA *G MM
Arrggh.... I am at 99800. An Air Canada flight didn't credit. Otherwise I would have cleared the 100k level.

Also, please clarify the 125k threshold for this year. Is that not the EQMs that I can read on the online statement? You have to be kidding if it is BIS miles. Are we supposed to sit there and add things manually???
Old Oct 7, 2004, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Why the complaints?

Not sure why there is all this negativity (if I am reading the posts correctly). A while back, we were up in arms that we could not upgrade flights after Jan 31 2005. Now, many will have the chance to do so. Sounds like UA listened to our voices.
Old Oct 7, 2004, 11:51 am
Original Member

Programs: UA MM Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by gnaget
Arrggh.... I am at 99800. An Air Canada flight didn't credit. Otherwise I would have cleared the 100k level.

Also, please clarify the 125k threshold for this year. Is that not the EQMs that I can read on the online statement? You have to be kidding if it is BIS miles. Are we supposed to sit there and add things manually???
It is definitely 125K BIS miles for the first threshold.

As for calculating the BIS miles from your online statement, I just copy and paste the whole thing into and Excel spreadsheet and delete the monthly total rows, then add the Actual column. It takes me about 2-3 minutes tops.
Old Oct 7, 2004, 12:02 pm
Community Director Emerita

Thumbs up Thanks to UA on shelflife of October SWUs

I am happy that UA is not taking AA's route re upgrade expirations. AA is crediting our accounts with our vips in the month that we cross the 100K threshold. They will then expire 12 months out. Just think, for those who crossed 100K in 1Qtr, as a number did on UA, that would mean that your 2005 SWUs would expire in March 2005. Thank God, UA is taking a more customer friendly approach. I'm one of those who will get 4 SWUs on October 15 - and still have thru January 2006 to use them. Kudos to UA!
Old Oct 7, 2004, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K - 2MM, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Napa
Not all, just the ones who buy expensive tickets (150 EQMs). I assume that's the objective. Those of us who have to buy cheap coach fares will probably just do the minimum necessary to re-qualify.
UAL is doing something for all people that cross over to 1K territory. However, they are signifying a difference for the people that pay higher fares with additional benefits. I cannot see where this is a bad thing. While I would definitely show appreciation for all 1Ks, I would certainly offer additional benefits for those who spent a higher revenue total than those who made 1K for low to mid 4 figures. There are 1Ks that spend in excess of $30K annually due to business patterns. Is it fair to offer the same benefits for those making a dramatic financial contribution year in and year out? I think that UA is doing the right thing here and certainly support the UGS program as well.
Old Oct 7, 2004, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA 2MM + 1k, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Any bonuses likely?

A bit off-topic, but thought I'd throw this out here.

Do you think there will be any bonuses for those
who reach certain thresholds, like 100K BIS miles?

Last year, there were 2 extra SWU for those with 100K BIS in 2003.
Also, those with more than 125K (I think) EQM could roll-over
25,000 towards status in 2004. Any chance of repeat this year?
Old Oct 7, 2004, 12:13 pm

Programs: The opinions I express here are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect those of United or Mileage
Originally Posted by SEA_Tigger
They also just incentivitized all 1Ks who hit 100K to stay with UA rather then gun for dual-status with AA or another Star partner.
HAAAAHahhahahahahaaa....that word came in an email to us a couple of weeks ago and we've been laughing about it ever since. So did "benchmarking." Sorry, that's righteous misuse of the English language. However, thanks for making me laugh this morning, Tigger...I needed that.
Old Oct 7, 2004, 12:17 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I am happy that UA is not taking AA's route re upgrade expirations. AA is crediting our accounts with our vips in the month that we cross the 100K threshold. They will then expire 12 months out. Just think, for those who crossed 100K in 1Qtr, as a number did on UA, that would mean that your 2005 SWUs would expire in March 2005. Thank God, UA is taking a more customer friendly approach. I'm one of those who will get 4 SWUs on October 15 - and still have thru January 2006 to use them. Kudos to UA!
Hmm Rule #12 says good 1 year from issue date. So if they're issued 10/15/04 the exp would be 10/15/05.
Old Oct 7, 2004, 12:21 pm

Programs: The opinions I express here are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect those of United or Mileage
Originally Posted by kluau88
Hmm Rule #12 says good 1 year from issue date. So if they're issued 10/15/04 the exp would be 10/15/05.
kluau is right...they're good for one year. Issued 10/15/14 will actually expire 10/31/05. I've seen them in accounts already and they are the same as any other SWU you get issued at the beginning of the year or when you hit MM.
Old Oct 7, 2004, 12:28 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by MP Goddess
kluau is right...they're good for one year. Issued 10/15/14 will actually expire 10/31/05. I've seen them in accounts already and they are the same as any other SWU you get issued at the beginning of the year or when you hit MM.
Then I suggest that each and every 1K who is getting SWUs in October print out the front page of www.united.com/1k/1konly where it says:

All six of these Systemwide Upgrades will be valid from the day they are deposited into the account through January 2006.
Old Oct 7, 2004, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by RobotDoctor
UAL is doing something for all people that cross over to 1K territory. However, they are signifying a difference for the people that pay higher fares with additional benefits. I cannot see where this is a bad thing. While I would definitely show appreciation for all 1Ks, I would certainly offer additional benefits for those who spent a higher revenue total than those who made 1K for low to mid 4 figures. There are 1Ks that spend in excess of $30K annually due to business patterns. Is it fair to offer the same benefits for those making a dramatic financial contribution year in and year out? I think that UA is doing the right thing here and certainly support the UGS program as well.
Agreed. I'm as much for "maximum benefits for minimum outlay" as most, but unless we all want WN as our only option, the majors have to tweak their programs to try and keep as many "full fare" folks as they can. And the more they bribe me to do it, the more likely I am - and I fly on my own dime. No "business subsidies" here.

I'm doing SEA-SFO-NRT-SIN-NRT-(multi-day stopover)-SFO-SEA to renew my 1P status. $1950 all in with a B fare. Cheapest is Q at $1250 and if I had e-SWUs, I could upgrade it. I can also do H for $1450.

I know to many 1Ks paying an extra $700 is as pleasurable as passing a watermelon in the water closet (and paying an extra $70 would be like a canteloupe), but that extra $300 over the H fare gets me an additional 20,000 EQMs (including the fare basis and promotional bonuses) and saves me 30,000 RDM miles. And it improves my yield to UA which helps them keep flying and keep offering me the benefits like First Class and Business Class.

If and when all the majors fold, all we get left is WN, people. Even AA, the bastion of mileage plan lagresse, just significantly increased the cost of their upgrades. So all the AAdvantage members who used to snicker at UA MP members on international upgrades are now starting to look seriously at a comp and a switch to UA.

Times have changed, and they continue to change. The more we choke the goose for golden eggs, the sooner the goose expires and we have to get the tarnished bronze ones from the chicken down in LUV.
Old Oct 7, 2004, 12:30 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Then I suggest that each and every 1K who is getting SWUs in October print out the front page of www.united.com/1k/1konly where it says:
PDF'ed it
Old Oct 7, 2004, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also, please clarify the 125k threshold for this year. Is that not the EQMs that I can read on the online statement?
It's only the amount that you can read on your YTD statement if you didn't earn any bonus EQMs this year. If you did earn any bonus EQMs...you have to add 'em up manually like JeffS says.

From the 2004 Plus Is More page on the 125k and 150k extra Systemwides:

* Flight miles include travel flown on United, United Express, Ted and Star Alliance; flight mile and flight segment totals do not include promotional EQM/EQS.
http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,50622,00.html

While I applaud many of these changes, I've already expressed to United (some of us knew this was coming, but were sworn to secrecy) that I am concerned that the "Fall Forward" Systemwide "advance" aspect of this might take the pressure off some folks to fix some of the other problems associated with the new Reserve system. I was told they understood that and were going to attempt to continue to find solutions to those separate issues.

But overall on the advance upgrading opportunities issues into the following year...I think it's a fairly good compromise. At least they acknowledged the issue and did something about it. Wish we still had it the old way, but they said they had their own issues with that, so what the heck...it's a compromise.
Old Oct 7, 2004, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MP Goddess
I am sorry but your statement does not agree with what is printed on the 1K only website:

Customers who qualify for 2005 1K status before December 15, 2004, will receive four of six 2005 SWUs early. Customers who have qualified by October 8, 2004, will have their four SWUs deposited into their accounts by October 15, 2004. For customers who qualify between October 8, 2004 and December 15, 2004, their four SWUs will be deposited into their account within two weeks of qualifying for 2005 1K status. The remaining two SWUs will be deposited into accounts on January 1, 2005.

All six of these Systemwide Upgrades will be valid from the day they are deposited into the account through January 2006. Please note that while the E-UpgradeSM summary will show the correct SWU balance, the expiration date for the four SWUs received early will not appear until the expiration date is 13 months away.

Customers who qualify for 2005 1K status after December 15, 2004, will receive their six SWUs on January 1, 2005.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.