Wiki Posts
Search

35 Premiers on a 320!?!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2004, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Random acts of kindness and senseless beauty
35 Premiers on a 320!?!

Made a MR for 1P this week -- thanks FT. Returning thru LAX Thurs am there seemed to be a lot of people clamoring for seat changes. The woman in front of me holding a gold BP seemed unable to get satisfaction, when I overheard the GA say, "I am sorry I cannot accommadate you, but there are 35 Premiers on today's flight"

That's a lot of competition. Gotta go for 1K.
Old Oct 2, 2004, 1:48 pm
Suspended

Thiry-five Premiers - that's nothing. How about over FORTY UGS/1Ks on NYC/WAS-ORD flights during peak times (the most I've ever observed was 67 1K members on a Saturday morning EWR-ORD 319 pre 9/11 after both airports were basically shut down the day before).
Old Oct 2, 2004, 1:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
October through February are often like this.
Old Oct 2, 2004, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA G-1MM/*G, B6 Mosaicm, DL G, HH S, Bonvoy(...?) Plat, Avis PS, Hertz 5*, Nat ExVIP
I was once on a flight IAD-DEN where they announced that all but three passengers on the totally full flight were 2P or higher and, because of that, they were going to board by row, as it was pointless at that point to provide any boarding priority.

Timothy

I didn't care... I'd upgraded already and still got to board first. HA!
Old Oct 2, 2004, 2:38 pm
Suspended

What about the flights out of ORD to HKG/NRT? At the boarding gate I usually see nothing else but Gold boarding passes..... . So much for standing out of the crowd Shouldn't united have different colours for F and C?
Old Oct 2, 2004, 7:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Random acts of kindness and senseless beauty
Yikes the situation is much more dire than I thought. Gotta make 1K!
Old Oct 2, 2004, 7:24 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
A lot of routes around where all/nearly all have high status. Most business flights (ie timed for businesspeople) between dom hubs would be like this - eg AKL-WLG, SYD-MEL, etc.

Even some intl long haul flights have a large majority of high status flyers.
Old Oct 2, 2004, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by GodOSpoons

I was once on a flight IAD-DEN where they announced that all but three passengers on the totally full flight were 2P or higher and, because of that, they were going to board by row, as it was pointless at that point to provide any boarding priority.

They should have made the peon's day by saying "Those 3 folks WITHOUT a Gold boarding pass are free to board first".
Old Oct 2, 2004, 7:50 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, DL former Gold, AA, SPG, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Last night on my flight JFK-LAX, only UGS were allowed to board with F and C... the rest of us had to wait patiently so I guess even making it to 1K won't really help...
Old Oct 2, 2004, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ozstamps
They should have made the peon's day by saying "Those 3 folks WITHOUT a Gold boarding pass are free to board first".
^ ^ ^

Seriously though--how smart of a move is it for UA (or any other airline) to have so many passengers graduate to elite levels if you are not able to upgrade on a typical business route on a typical day?
Old Oct 2, 2004, 8:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, and MM, Marriott Platinum
Seriously, I think it's great for UA to have that many loyal customers. Like last2board said, now he's looking to get to 1K. Gives you incentive to go up.

Fortunately my flights are booked way in advance (at least 3 weeks) and I waitlist for UG when I book the flight if I'm not on TED. I always book my optimum seating just in case I don't get the UG. Gotta play all the angles.

Originally Posted by chicagorich
^ ^ ^
Seriously though--how smart of a move is it for UA (or any other airline) to have so many passengers graduate to elite levels if you are not able to upgrade on a typical business route on a typical day?
Old Oct 2, 2004, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by UA 882
What about the flights out of ORD to HKG/NRT? At the boarding gate I usually see nothing else but Gold boarding passes..... . So much for standing out of the crowd Shouldn't united have different colours for F and C?
I once waitlisted for C upgrade on HKG--ORD, and there were 36 1Ks ( in addition to the 1Ks who had confirmed F and C) on the upgrade list from Y to C. The agent told me there were 27 1Ks waitlisted for F upgrade from C, and she esimated 70 1Ks and equal amount of 1Ps and 2Ps on that particular flight.... which meant approximately 210 out of possible 347 passengers were 2P and above.
Old Oct 2, 2004, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I once waitlisted for C upgrade on HKG--ORD, and there were 36 1Ks ( in addition to the 1Ks who had confirmed F and C) on the upgrade list from Y to C. The agent told me there were 27 1Ks waitlisted for F upgrade from C, and she esimated 70 1Ks and equal amount of 1Ps and 2Ps on that particular flight.... which meant approximately 210 out of possible 347 passengers were 2P and above.
---------------------------------------

So out of 210 elite flyers--what percentage ended up feeling like they got their money's worth from being an elite..?

What percentage felt happy that they had won the "upgrade lottery"..?

What percentage felt like their elite status wasn't worth much...?

Do any of those three categories matter because most flyers (no matter the airline) are mileage junkees...?
Old Oct 2, 2004, 9:36 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA MM *G. Continental *G
Being able to get the rights seats, be in shorter lines, have lounge privileges on international flights and double miles are all worthwhile benefits to being a 1P besides the upgrades. That being said I've done quite well with upgrades this year, but I pick my flights carefully and book early
Old Oct 2, 2004, 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by chicagorich
^ ^ ^

I don't complain about this at all. This just sounds like they are doing something right for the business flyers. I enjoy flying UA because they are a lot better than the others and I get great fares to boot. If I can't get the upgrade because someone else is senior to me, then I will just have to sit in the back and enjoy an airline that should be around for along time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.