Air China-United codeshare

Old Sep 27, 2004, 2:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: My own
Air China-United codeshare

Hi folks! I understand that United currently has an agreement with Air China in which MP miles can be accrued on Air China-operated flights with a United codeshare flight number. Does anyone know where I can find a list of such flights? I'm presently booked on CA 4105, departing from Chengdu at 1620 and arriving into Beijing at 1835, next month. Despite the relatively short distance (and United's current financial situation), it's always nice to earn a bit of MP miles, so I'm wondering whether that sector is codeshared with United. Thanks in advance for your reply!
Old Sep 27, 2004, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is a master list of all UA Flight numbers which shows who operates the flights. The old paper timetable used to have this information, and the PDF version has a list but it is outdated.

You can however determine if UA codeshares your flight(s) by doing a sample booking at ual.com, or by checking the PDF or electronic timetables.

http://www.united.com/page/middlepag...3,1891,00.html

My guess is that UA does not codeshare this flight. For those flights that UA does codeshare, you would have to ticket the UA codeshare in order to get mileage credit.

Last edited by transpac; Sep 27, 2004 at 7:26 am
Old Sep 27, 2004, 8:09 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

how does it work in reverse? that is, flights with air china flt no. but operated by ua?
Old Sep 27, 2004, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by transpac
For those flights that UA does codeshare, you would have to ticket the UA codeshare in order to get mileage credit.
Can anybody confirm this? It is not mentioned in UA's website that you have to hold a UA ticket to get the miles. I know for AA and MU agreement, you do need to have an AA ticket to get AA miles for trans pacific flights.
Old Sep 27, 2004, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,1360,50614,00.html

"You may earn Mileage Plus miles on Air China-operated flights with a United code-share number. This includes flights within China and from China to Los Angeles, New York JFK and San Francisco. Additional code-share flights will be announced over the coming months. Simply present your Mileage Plus number when making reservations on these flights and you can earn:"
Old Sep 27, 2004, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by aidsactivist
Hi folks! I understand that United currently has an agreement with Air China in which MP miles can be accrued on Air China-operated flights with a United codeshare flight number. Does anyone know where I can find a list of such flights? I'm presently booked on CA 4105, departing from Chengdu at 1620 and arriving into Beijing at 1835, next month. Despite the relatively short distance (and United's current financial situation), it's always nice to earn a bit of MP miles, so I'm wondering whether that sector is codeshared with United. Thanks in advance for your reply!

I recently took a trip to China on Air China. My flights between Beijing and Shanghai on Air China did not have United codeshare numbers and I WAS credited with the miles. see below (recently credited to my UA account):

08-Aug-04 CA 0984 K Class LAX to PEK 6,228 0 6,228
12-Aug-04 CA 1517 K Class PEK to SHA 676 0 676
15-Aug-04 CA 1558 K Class SHA to PEK 676 0 676
15-Aug-04 CA 0983 K Class PEK to LAX 6,228 0 6,228

IN FACT: All of my ticketing was done through Air China. My flights from LAX to PEK and back were on Air China flight numbers (no mention of UA codeshare.)

ALSO: The UA website said I would only get 70% miles for economy tickets on Air China, but I was credited 100%...

Last edited by djohn125; Sep 27, 2004 at 2:00 pm
Old Sep 27, 2004, 2:24 pm

To djohn125 Do you earn EQM on these flights?
Old Sep 27, 2004, 2:39 pm

Programs: Westjet Platinum, Fairmont Platinum RIP, Accor Gold, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by gachen
I didn't when I flew from SFO to PEK earlier this year on an Air China flight that was a United codeshare. Peculiar that the route Air China took was about 100 miles further than the equivalent United metal route!
Old Sep 27, 2004, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by gachen
No I didn't...
Old Sep 27, 2004, 5:01 pm

Thanks for share the information.
Old Sep 28, 2004, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by izzik
how does it work in reverse? that is, flights with air china flt no. but operated by ua?
No, it doesn't. And if you have a CA ticket, you're actually not *supposed* to get the miles either. People at the CA counter will tell you you'll get miles for *any* flight with them in MP, but that's totally untrue, as the links provided show clearly. Apparently the MP people get a ton of calls on this, and not everyone there is fully abreast of the situation, but any service director will explain it clearly if you're confused by anything a CSR says or get two diff stories from two diff people.
Old Sep 28, 2004, 11:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: My own
Xie xie / Thanks

Originally Posted by transpac
There is a master list of all UA Flight numbers which shows who operates the flights. The old paper timetable used to have this information, and the PDF version has a list but it is outdated.

You can however determine if UA codeshares your flight(s) by doing a sample booking at ual.com, or by checking the PDF or electronic timetables.

http://www.united.com/page/middlepag...3,1891,00.html

My guess is that UA does not codeshare this flight. For those flights that UA does codeshare, you would have to ticket the UA codeshare in order to get mileage credit.
Before posting the original message, I did a sample booking on the UA website, but the city pairs were not recognised. I also did a sample booking on Travelocity, and it listed several Air China and Hainan Airlines flights during the day, but not mine in particular. It is possible that the flight on which I am booked is full because I noticed that the fare basis code begins with "Y", most likely denoting full fare economy class. I suppose that it never hurts to present the MP card at check-in, as one individual in this thread received mileage credit for an Air China ticket on Air China-operated flights with Air China flight numbers.

A warm xie xie and thanks to all who have responded!
Old Sep 30, 2004, 5:20 pm

I am a newbie

how is air china? after going round and round with amex 2 for 1 tixs they sais I can fly AC out of Lax to sydney and back from singapore to lax - good airline??? bus class by the way
Old Sep 30, 2004, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joannapv
how is air china? after going round and round with amex 2 for 1 tixs they sais I can fly AC out of Lax to sydney and back from singapore to lax - good airline??? bus class by the way

You'll get there...thats about it!

Entertainment is worse than UA, food is worse, service is better though. The biggest bummer is the C class seat....its got terrible pitch and recline.

Try and get AMEX to spring for another carrier!
Old Nov 2, 2004, 9:53 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Question

I just flew UA metal with US flight numbers.. and they were posted as UA flight numbers to my MP account.. so I wonder if I would see the same result with UA metal / Air China flight numbers as well.. ?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.