Wiki Posts
Search

Amazing Race and UA?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2004, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM 1K, HH Lifetime Diamond
Amazing Race and UA?

I know that AA is the official sponsor of the Amazing Race, but two seasons in a row, UA carries the winner on a leg in the final episode to a win by a few minutes. Guerilla marketing?

Riechen and Chip in Season Four. Chip and Kim in Season Five. Maybe it just takes a Chip to win...

Barratt
Old Sep 21, 2004, 9:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Absolutely phenomenal season. I can't wait for the next (anyone know when it is??)!

Great finishing episode too. That flight delay really threw everything into the air - I love it!
Old Sep 21, 2004, 9:12 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1MM,
Sorry I missed that episode. I know they shot that at the YYC UA counter not that long ago. Great UA employees there in Calgary!!!

^
Old Sep 21, 2004, 10:57 pm

Amazing Race is moving to the fall schedule, so 6 will be starting in October.
http://www.cbs.com/primetime/amazing_race6/index.shtml

As for the last leg, it was funny for us since my boyfriend is Canadian (from Calgary), and almost always flies YYC-DEN-DFW when returning from visiting his family.

BillJ
Old Sep 21, 2004, 11:00 pm

Programs: 1K (I know, my screen name is outdated), Marriott Plat, *Wood Plat, Five Star, Amex Plat
Sort of amusing that UA carried the winners, looks like AA just doesn't measure up.

I have wondered if I were able to make it on the amazing race if I could use my * Alliance Gold and Prem Ex UA status to my advantage.
Old Sep 21, 2004, 11:27 pm

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
... and t-shirts seen on Colin & Christie ... "we lost the damn race coz we had checked luggage!"
Old Sep 21, 2004, 11:29 pm

Programs: 1K (I know, my screen name is outdated), Marriott Plat, *Wood Plat, Five Star, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by thezipper
... and t-shirts seen on Colin & Christie ... "we lost the damn race coz we had checked luggage!"

I'm surprised AA didn't lose it on them.
Old Sep 21, 2004, 11:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
The Canadians over on AC Forum been discussing the finale and the interesting editing. Such as there is no MNL-YYC nonstop or direct flight, or how they showed a UA 747 landing when pax actually flying CR9.

But, hey, it's Hollywood and don't hold the creative editing against the producers. Just us rabid FTers who would notice some of the details.

Can't wait for the next installment, which I heard was being delayed until early Nov. to give a decent break between series. Who knows, maybe in the nest version they fly to YEG! Could happen...
Old Sep 21, 2004, 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by thezipper

Should have said "We lost the damn race because we flew AA!"
Old Sep 22, 2004, 12:12 am

Programs: AA EXP UA 2KMM AMB
Amazing indeed! I was rooting for that UA flight to Dallas all the way . Of course, hats off to Chip and Kim ^ .
Old Sep 22, 2004, 1:31 am

Programs: SPG PLT, AA EXP
I'm sure ALL the frequent fliers were just SCREAMING when they decided to check their luggage! I know I was. What a time waster

The cardinal rule about checked bags, "Whatever luggage you check has to stay with you". The moment they started thinking about taking UA out of Denver after checking in on AA - I was thinking "you're screwed".

Oh well... I'm thrilled Chip and Kim won.

- T
Old Sep 22, 2004, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by TonySCV
I'm sure ALL the frequent fliers were just SCREAMING when they decided to check their luggage! I know I was. What a time waster

The cardinal rule about checked bags, "Whatever luggage you check has to stay with you". The moment they started thinking about taking UA out of Denver after checking in on AA - I was thinking "you're screwed".

Oh well... I'm thrilled Chip and Kim won.

- T
When you are going for the million, just leave your bags behind in the hotel. I am sure the concierge would be happy to mail them later. That was goofy.
Old Sep 22, 2004, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by bmoy210
I know that AA is the official sponsor of the Amazing Race, but two seasons in a row, UA carries the winner on a leg in the final episode to a win by a few minutes. Guerilla marketing?

Riechen and Chip in Season Four. Chip and Kim in Season Five. Maybe it just takes a Chip to win...

Barratt
Maybe someone slipped the winner's a few buddy passes.
Old Sep 22, 2004, 1:16 pm

Programs: AA,DL,UA,US
Originally Posted by DENPremEx
Sort of amusing that UA carried the winners, looks like AA just doesn't measure up.

I have wondered if I were able to make it on the amazing race if I could use my * Alliance Gold and Prem Ex UA status to my advantage.
Not sure if you knew this, but AA was delayed due to fog in Dallas, where the inbound aircraft was from. But I guess United never experiences any weather related delays
Old Sep 22, 2004, 2:24 pm

It seems really bad that AA, who has been a big sponsor, had a delayed flight, that might have ended up costing someone $1,000,000. I mean, look at it this way. If you absolutely must be there on time, don't go AA.

I know there is nothing AA could do about weather, but it just looks bad. Some might feel that Colin and Christie or Brandon and Nicole lost the $1,000,000 because of AA. Just not the best PR image in the world.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.