Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Crediting back Reserved Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2004, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AK Gold 75K, etc. etc.
After my original issue, where I was told that my upgrade was available, but not visible in their system--it got more complicated. I gifted 4 systemwides to friends for their round trips to Singapore, but only two were used--resulting in two more reserved SWUs that went into limbo for a total of 3. After a sweep, 2 of them ended up back in my account--automatically without any input from me. This still left one in limbo. I don't know if it was the original SWU or one of the two newer ones. I was on the line with mileage plus for another matter and I mentioned this to the rep. She put in a request and a day later I received an email saying that they found the mistake and credited the missing SWU to my account. Again, there was an apology for their programming errors.

I guess all's well that ends well.
Old Oct 9, 2004, 2:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I gifted 4 SWU's to a friend so he and his wife could upgrade on a recent LAX-LHR round trip. I went to the Airport early on one of my trips, with his PNR and ticket number, and the agent had me sign a blue card, entered everything and said it was good. My friends got their upgrades on all flights confirmed before date of departure. At checkin at LAX, they asked him if he had paper SWU's. He said no, that I had gifted him, and to scroll down the screen and look for the note indicating that I had signed the blue card and my info. They did that but said that My MP # was not in the record although my name was. They gave him his upgrades but did not pull my E-SWU's. Although my friend had my MP number he did not volunteer it. At LHR, they were given Biz class BP's with no problems.
No SWU's were pulled from my account according to e-upgrade summary or my call to United to offer them the 4 SWU's back. Person on
1K line said don't worry about it enjoy my SWU's. So I guess my friends got OP-up'd instead of gifted.
Old Oct 15, 2004, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Spent an hour on the phone just now with a SD. She was great, but could not resolve anything.

Let me back up.
Yesterday morning, I had 5 regionals available and 2 on reserve (7 total). I refared my trip on line, getting a voucher for the difference. Of course, the confirmed upgrades were released. I called back to rereserve them. But now I have 3 regionals available and 2 on reserve (5 total). As far as UA is concerned, the 2 I originally had on reserve had already gone back into my available account. But, as we know, they are now somewhere in outer space.

Problem is, my account does not show them as stuck in reserve. The account does not show them at all.

I said to the agent today, "I am usually the first to call when UA forgets to take miles, or when UA gives me miles I didn't earn. Now, I am asking for UA to extend the same act of ethics."

But the SD had nothing to stand on, and she has escalated it to WHQ.
Old Oct 16, 2004, 11:42 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Yesterday, I had to unreserved two SWUs with two different expiration dates on two different PNRs. CSR was able to unreserved them and they showed up instantly in my eBank. CSR then used them to upgrade two new itineraries.
Old Oct 16, 2004, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Unhappy Reserved SWUs not shown as "reserved" -- just gone!

OK, there still appear to be lots-o-problems with the system -- at least with how the website works. (Not news, I realize -- just confirming that there are still problems. )

I recently (two days ago) booked a roundtrip to Europe for November, and used the new online feature that permits you to upgrade with SWUs. It seems to have worked, in that my flights are shown as waitlisted for upgrade on the web.

But, when I look at my e-upgrade summary online, it just shows two fewer SWUs. Which would be fine, but there is NO "reserved upgrade" listing at all in the summary, even though I am using the View feature to look at Reserved and Redeemed Upgrades (and OF COURSE I put in a reasonable date range -- it defaults to a weird one ending a year from now ) So, no history showing that the SWUs were reserved, no listing of reserved upgrades, NOTHING. Just a total of two fewer SWUs.

I have to agree with others' comments about the lack of QA that has been applied to this website. I resent being an unwilling beta (or maybe "alpha" would be more accurate) tester for this system!
Old Oct 20, 2004, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
My bad, sort of

Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
OK, there still appear to be lots-o-problems with the system -- at least with how the website works. (Not news, I realize -- just confirming that there are still problems. )

I recently (two days ago) booked a roundtrip to Europe for November, and used the new online feature that permits you to upgrade with SWUs. It seems to have worked, in that my flights are shown as waitlisted for upgrade on the web.

But, when I look at my e-upgrade summary online, it just shows two fewer SWUs. Which would be fine, but there is NO "reserved upgrade" listing at all in the summary, even though I am using the View feature to look at Reserved and Redeemed Upgrades (and OF COURSE I put in a reasonable date range -- it defaults to a weird one ending a year from now ) So, no history showing that the SWUs were reserved, no listing of reserved upgrades, NOTHING. Just a total of two fewer SWUs.

I have to agree with others' comments about the lack of QA that has been applied to this website. I resent being an unwilling beta (or maybe "alpha" would be more accurate) tester for this system!
OK, I played around with this and it looks like it's user error on my part. I thought the "To" Date would refer to the date the SWUs were reserved, rather than the flight date. Silly me. When I changed the "To" date to a date after the November dates of the flights, the Reserved Upgrade Summary shows up.
Old Nov 27, 2004, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Still a problem

I was supposed to fly LAX-ORD on 11/24. Had confirmed upgrades. Partner and I were checked in and sitting on the plane. When the captain announced the 4 hour delay, we decided to get off and cancel the trip.

No problem getting the refund (I don't think). But no one can help get the "redeemed" upgrades back into the account. MP says calls res. Res says call MP. Service director says wait 24 hours. MP says wait 72 hour. Well, we're now at 80 hours, and no upgrades back in the acount.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.