Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Seating Assistance for LH coded Flt out of ORD/T1/ConB

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2004, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1MM: PLAT

Am an AA flyer so appreciate the basic assistance on UA/LH......

My mother-in-law is flying a LH coded flight to Munich out of ORD on 8/30, T1, Concourse B. She wants to see if there are any window seats for her and her companion and has had difficulty with her Travel Agent -- they told her they could get her a window seat for an additional $300! A few questions:

- Checked the LH site -- does not give you option to check available seats on that flight. Can this be done on the UA site if I check the appropriate UA cooresponding flight #? Do they show the seats by airline or all seats, regardless of whether the ticket is booked as a UA flt or an LH flt?
- Do they release seats 3 hours prior to flight to the GA as well? She is thinking about arriving in the AM for a 4:40pm flight to try to get the window seats!! Suggested she get a RCC one-day pass if she wants to go that early.
- She tried calling LH, but according to her, they have not been helpful (of course I have no doubt that she was less than pleasant...fun for me!).

Appreciate any direction/help you can provide -- the UA/LH alliance is much more interchangeable than AA, so sorry in advance for the neophyte questions!

RB

Last edited by RoyaltyBuff; Aug 25, 2004 at 4:10 pm Reason: typo
Old Aug 25, 2004, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by RoyaltyBuff

My mother-in-law is flying a LH coded flight to Munich out of ORD on 8/30, T1, Concourse B. She wants to see if there are any window seats for her and her companion and has had difficulty with her Travel Agent -- they told her they could get her a window seat for an additional $300! A few questions:

- Checked the LH site -- does not give you option to check available seats on that flight. Can this be done on the UA site if I check the appropriate UA cooresponding flight #? Do they show the seats by airline or all seats, regardless of whether the ticket is booked as a UA flt or an LH flt?
- Do they release seats 3 hours prior to flight to the GA as well? She is thinking about arriving in the AM for a 4:40pm flight to try to get the window seats!! Suggested she get a RCC one-day pass if she wants to go that early.
- She tried calling LH, but according to her, they have not been helpful (of course I have no doubt that she was less than pleasant...fun for me!).

Appreciate any direction/help you can provide -- the UA/LH alliance is much more interchangeable than AA, so sorry in advance for the neophyte questions!

RB
If it is a LH coded flight, call LH directly and request seat assignment. Other carriers will not help you.
Old Aug 25, 2004, 5:29 pm

Programs: NorthSails® | Starboard | ION
Originally Posted by RoyaltyBuff

My mother-in-law is flying a LH coded flight to Munich out of ORD on 8/30, T1, Concourse B. She wants to see if there are any window seats for her and her companion and has had difficulty with her Travel Agent -- they told her they could get her a window seat for an additional $300!
Are you sure she's on LH and not on VS?

I don't recall having had a seatmap for flights on LH metal come up on ual.com (but then again, I usually avoid them). However if you try a dummy booking on AMEX's ITN site, a seatmap should come up.

IME, LH tends to not be very helpful with seat assignments in general, specially if the flight goes into an oversold state. Don't have experiences with the GAs that staff LH's flights in ORD, but the ones in MUC can be downright brutal (I recall reading the words "gestapo matron").
Old Aug 25, 2004, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe your mother-in-law could just ask for a window seat when she checks in? Or maybe she could ask someone with a window seat to change with her when she boards? I mean, is it really all that complicated?
Old Aug 25, 2004, 7:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by transpac
Maybe your mother-in-law could just ask for a window seat when she checks in? Or maybe she could ask someone with a window seat to change with her when she boards? I mean, is it really all that complicated?
Transpac -- to you and me it isn't complicated, but with her, it becomes complicated! She is planning on asking for a window seat at the airport, but LH is telling her that the gate will open at 11:30am for a 4:40pm flight, which seems unlikely or crazy to me...I think LH is refering to the ticket agents, not the gate agents.

Anyway, we will see what happens.....
Old Aug 25, 2004, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WindFlyer
Are you sure she's on LH and not on VS?

I don't recall having had a seatmap for flights on LH metal come up on ual.com (but then again, I usually avoid them). However if you try a dummy booking on AMEX's ITN site, a seatmap should come up.

IME, LH tends to not be very helpful with seat assignments in general, specially if the flight goes into an oversold state. Don't have experiences with the GAs that staff LH's flights in ORD, but the ones in MUC can be downright brutal (I recall reading the words "gestapo matron").

WindFlyer -- Many thanks! Checked the AMEX site -- found that there were (2) window seats that showed available. Called LH about them -- currently being held for unaccompanied minors, but the agent was actually very helpful and while couldn't get the seats booked for her, gave me all the info so she doesn't drive the folks crazy when she departs.

Thanks to all.....really appreciate it and hope I can help you on AA if you ever need it! RB

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.