First United Flight

Old Aug 2, 2004, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM; SPG Gold
First United Flight

Hi All,

First Post!!

I am travelling from DTW to SFO via Denver. On the Denver to SFO leg I will be on a 777. I am very excited about this prospect. I have never been on a T7 before. Normally (I am in Detroit after all) I am a World Perks geek, but circumstances (price) dictate this airline/routing. I have signed up for Mileage Plus as soon as I was confirmed on the flight.

Enough backdrop. Here is the question: my seating assignment is in row 48 which (according to www.seatguru.com) is a stinker. Will I be able to change my seating assignment online like I am able to via nwa.com?

Thanks in advance!

c|d
Old Aug 2, 2004, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Nope. Yur gonna have to call United Reservations to change your seat assignment.

United's web site is a bit behind the times. Just got color graphics last week!

Old Aug 2, 2004, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PremEx
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Nope. Yur gonna have to call United Reservations to change your seat assignment.

United's web site is a bit behind the times. Just got color graphics last week!

Thanks for the prompt reply!

I know it will depend on how full the flight is but can I reasonably expect a seat change?

TIA,

c|d
Old Aug 2, 2004, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
Ask for E+!

Yes, in fact when you check-in, be sure to ask if there are any EconomyPlus seats available. You can see which ones "rock" on the 777! :-:
Old Aug 2, 2004, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I know it will depend on how full the flight is but can I reasonably expect a seat change?
You answer your own question...just depends on what's available when you call. So don't put it off. Pick up the phone!
Old Aug 2, 2004, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Don't want to dump on your fun, but if possible you should see about connecting DTW-ORD and get a 777 or even 744 ORD-SFO. I fly to DTW from time to time and always go through ORD. Otherwise you are 3 hours on a 737, not an enjoyable time. You would then get to enjoy the full IFE and meal service. Worth trying.
Old Aug 2, 2004, 4:35 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, AA EXP
Actually, you *can* change your seat online IF you use Easy Check-in online. But you won't be able to get a seat in E+. You can always try to get an E+ seat at the gate however.
Old Aug 2, 2004, 4:54 pm

Programs: MP, 1K 1MM
"first" flight?

Interpreting this to mean, you "as a WP geek". will be taking your first flight on UA metal, I wonder* about the counsel to ask for an E+ seat.
My understanding is those seats are reserved for MP members who have accrued miles in their account. If this is truly your FIRST UA FLIGHT, you logically won't have an account balance.
But you can try; from posts here it's obvious that pax seated in Economy will re-seat themselves into unoccupied E+ seats once the door is closed for departure. In that case, if you're successful, even possibly being denied E+ by the res agent may be meaningless.
Welcome aboard!
Old Aug 2, 2004, 5:49 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by dcutcher
Interpreting this to mean, you "as a WP geek". will be taking your first flight on UA metal, I wonder* about the counsel to ask for an E+ seat.
My understanding is those seats are reserved for MP members who have accrued miles in their account. If this is truly your FIRST UA FLIGHT, you logically won't have an account balance.
But you can try; from posts here it's obvious that pax seated in Economy will re-seat themselves into unoccupied E+ seats once the door is closed for departure. In that case, if you're successful, even possibly being denied E+ by the res agent may be meaningless.
Welcome aboard!
Both the check-in agent and gate agent can place anyone in E+ seats, with or without M+ account. My recommendation is ask and ask again, particularly right after they clear the upgrades at the gate.
Old Aug 3, 2004, 4:13 am

Programs: BA Silver, UA Gold
Originally Posted by PTahCha
Both the check-in agent and gate agent can place anyone in E+ seats, with or without M+ account. My recommendation is ask and ask again, particularly right after they clear the upgrades at the gate.
My first UA flight put me in E+ for the final segment without my even asking, and that was on a V or W fare. It might have been a computer glitch, but I didn't complain...
Old Aug 3, 2004, 6:49 am

Programs: BA Gold; VA Velocity Gold; LH FTL; Marriott Gold; ICHG Platinum AMB; Hilton Gold
Once the airport staff take control of a flight for check-in, theyhave complete control of the seating map and can assign anyone a seat in E+. Whether or not they do so is likely to depend on likely loads (if the flight is oversold then why not reward those checking in for the flight early?). Before I had status I regularly asked for (and got) E+ seating without a problem.
Old Aug 3, 2004, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the insights. Here's my update....

I called United and talked to a CSR about getting a better seat than 48B on my DEN-SFO leg. He offered 35E(middle of the 5) to which I politely declined. It seems that all four legs are fairly full. He said my best chance for a better seat is at the gate and asking for an exit row and/or hoping for an unused E+ seat. Grovelling never hurts.

c|d
Old Aug 3, 2004, 10:05 am

Programs: BA Gold; VA Velocity Gold; LH FTL; Marriott Gold; ICHG Platinum AMB; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cardood
Thanks for all the insights. Here's my update....

I called United and talked to a CSR about getting a better seat than 48B on my DEN-SFO leg. He offered 35E(middle of the 5) to which I politely declined. It seems that all four legs are fairly full. He said my best chance for a better seat is at the gate and asking for an exit row and/or hoping for an unused E+ seat. Grovelling never hurts.

c|d
Ask at check in as well - they may be able to help you.
Old Aug 4, 2004, 8:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by House
Ask at check in as well - they may be able to help you.

New Update!

I checked in using Easy Check-In and voila! better seat! I am now in bulkhead aisle which according to www.seatguru.com is a good seat (green) as opposed to my bad seat (red) before. Thanks again for all the tips!

c|d

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.