Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Interesting new MP sign up deal - 2500 just for SIGNING up then 5000 for 1st flight!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Interesting new MP sign up deal - 2500 just for SIGNING up then 5000 for 1st flight!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2004, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold

Wow .. have not seen this one before. ^ ^

Targeted email to me. Joh (also a 1K) did not get it. Nor did several family members whose accounts I manage here to ensure they enroll for things on time. Any bolding below is mine.

When a referral enrols between 1 August and 31 October 2004, you and your referral will each earn 2,500 bonus miles

• When a referral completes a paid, qualifying round-trip on United, United Express® or Ted(SM) (in booking class F, A, P, C, D, Y, B, E, M, U, H, Q or V) between 1 August and 31 October 2004, you and your referral will each earn 5,000 bonus miles!

That’s as many as 45,000 bonus miles for you and up to 7,500 bonus miles for each of your referrals who enrols.

Refer your friends now to earn up to 45,000 bonus miles.

etc

In the reams of fine print it goes on to say:

Valid only on flights operated by United, United Express and Ted(SM) and not on United-marketed code-share flights operated by other carriers. Bonus miles apply to base flight miles only and do not count towards elite status. Offer not valid for employees of United, Mileage Plus or their affiliates. Not valid on government fares. Valid only for international Mileage Plus members and not valid for Mileage Plus members residing in the US, Canada, Puerto Rico and US Virgin Islands. Qualifying flights must be posted to the Mileage Plus account in order to qualify for this offer. Sponsor may earn bonus miles when new members are qualified and have purchased and completed a qualifying flight. Online registration is required. We will not accept registration via telephone. Offer subject to change without notice. Other restrictions may apply.

Needs to be done via a UA weblink and they need a NAME and EMAIL for the new enrolled, and then they email you direct saying I have invited you to join, and when you join via that link the referral points credit to me.

Now this bit is rather vague - Valid only for international Mileage Plus members and not valid for Mileage Plus members residing in the US, Canada, Puerto Rico and US Virgin Islands. Yes it appears to be a targeted offer to some non-USA MP members. And clearly anyone offering a North American mailing address will not get the 2500. What stops me signing up 5 local family members and all of us getting 2500 points per referral I wonder? Whether they fly or not?

Or of course a new MP member that resides in the USA that suddenly acquires an Ozzie mailing address before their first flight, and gets 7500, and when posted moves their address back stateside. coff.

Thoughts?
Old Jul 30, 2004, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Reading it further it allows me to sign up 6 folks for this.

So, if anyone has a granny or cousin making a cheap TED flight soon, please get in contact ozstamps at ozemail.com as 7500 bonus miles plus the flight miles is a pretty decent first flight balance. Could even mean a free First Class RT award anywhere in Hawaii (10,000) on a 2 hour debut flight.

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,,1183,00.html
Old Jul 31, 2004, 5:06 am

Programs: AC Elite *G :: LH Sen *G :: IC Royal Amb :: PC Plat :: HH Diamond
I got the same e-mail last night! Easy miles for just signing up a few friends
Old Jul 31, 2004, 7:14 am

Programs: QR platinum
got also :

Dear ,
Mileage Plus has made it easy for you to earn as many as 45,000 bonus miles.

refer up to six friends, family members or business associates who are not already Mileage Plus members

• When a referral enrols between 1 August and 31 October 2004, you and your referral will each earn 2,500 bonus miles

• When a referral completes a paid, qualifying round-trip on United, United Express® or Ted(SM) (in booking class F, A, P, C, D, Y, B, E, M, U, H, Q or V) between 1 August and 31 October 2004, you and your referral will each earn 5,000 bonus miles!

That’s as many as 45,000 bonus miles for you and up to 7,500 bonus miles for each of your referrals who enrols.
Old Jul 31, 2004, 10:15 am

Programs: AC Elite *G :: LH Sen *G :: IC Royal Amb :: PC Plat :: HH Diamond
Question

Deleted...

Last edited by Gustaf; Aug 1, 2004 at 5:18 am
Old Jul 31, 2004, 10:31 am

I also got this offer. This should be an easy 15.000 miles and hopefully another 30.000 coming if I can find some friends who will fly United.
Old Jul 31, 2004, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I have four referrals left if anyone knows a first time flyer among your friends or family. .

Thank you United-- thank you FT. ^

FWIW United tell me the member signing in the new member must be targeted, i.e. other members adding their MP number will not work. Tried to have them target Joh for this but they say 'no can do'.
Old Jul 31, 2004, 9:54 pm

Location: SYD, Australia......Hotels: HHon LT Diamond, Hyatt LT Glob, Marriott AMB (LT Gold), IHG AMB (20 years of SCC and RoyAMB dropped 2024)...Airlines: BA GGL (OW Emerald), LH FTL (*S), QF Plat (LT Gold), VA, UA Silver (*S), SQ Silver (*S)
I can also offer another five referrals if anyone plans to "move" to Australia or Europe for that promotion

PM me if you're interested and Ozstamps has no referrals left...
Old Jul 31, 2004, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ozstamps
Interesting new MP sign up deal - 2500 just for

Or of course a new MP member that resides in the USA that suddenly acquires an Ozzie mailing address before their first flight, and gets 7500, and when posted moves their address back stateside. coff.

Thoughts?
USA residents are offered this less generous offer of similar nature.
http://bonusmilesmpd754.com/
Old Aug 1, 2004, 6:15 am
Original Member

Programs: 1k UA, UA MM, AA EXPlat
Miles for Referrals

For international MP members--I simply changed my address in my profile to reflect another country. As far as I can tell, the only thing that is affected is my quarterly update from United. Nothing else. Once the miles post, I will switch it back. I am doing this as I have six people who I have referred and will be flying this next week. Also, I have tried using the US referral site and it hasn't sent the emails to the folks.
Old Aug 1, 2004, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by azepine00

USA residents are offered this less generous offer of similar nature.

http://bonusmilesmpd754.com/
Yes, quite a difference.

Wonder why they do not standardise this kind of deals? If they want new members and offer the same deal worldwide, not targeted and be done with it. It would certainly get a lot more members. Curious.
Old Aug 1, 2004, 6:13 pm
Suspended

Thanks.
I'm going to give it a try.
Old Aug 2, 2004, 12:55 am

Programs: BA GGL, ICC Amb Plat, LH Freq Fly, Hilton Diamond
Finally something for us MPs in the UK. Should be able to get 15k points I think from two friends flying next months but don't know what to do with the other 4 referrals. Can you refer people at different times or must it be 6 at once?

Thanks
Old Aug 2, 2004, 5:51 am

Promotion code?

Does anyone please have an MPD code or URL to enable us to sign up for this? Thanks.
Old Aug 2, 2004, 5:52 am

Programs: BA GGL, ICC Amb Plat, LH Freq Fly, Hilton Diamond
Try this:

www.bonusmilesmpi214.com/member

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.