Wiki Posts
Search

UA policy of free upgrade Y or B PAX

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2004, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, and MM, Marriott Platinum
UA policy of free upgrade Y or B PAX

This is a good one. I believe UA's policy was if there were open seats in first and you were traveling on a Y or B ticket they would upgrade elite members into those seats without having to use miles or upgrades (I do not have the exact wordings on this PC but will post them tomorrow fom my letter to UA).

On a recent flights from BDL to IAD on an A320 and flying on B tickets. When I deplaned I noticed there were 3 or more seats in first that hadn't been sat in each time. Each time I wrote a letter to UA CS to complain about this. This was on a series of 3 short notice trips from IAD to BDL. I know this is only a one hour flight but it's the principle, besides we had to pay $790 for these tickets.

Anyways, so far I've gotten the boilerplate letters saying that they received them and are reviewing them. I went to their site and low and behold they have now changed their policy it now reads:

Also, when you buy a full fare economy electronic ticket (select Y or B class*) for travel within the United States, Canada, Hawaii, Caribbean or Central America (Region 1), you may upgrade one (1) class of service, free of charge without using miles, certificates or money. Your upgrades are subject to availability and processed based on your elite status. See the chart below. If traveling with a companion on the same reservation and itinerary, the companion will clear based on your status.

* Excludes governmental/military and some other fares.

Your priority status with upgrades
Upgrades are confirmed in the following order, at the following times before departure, based on availability:

1K® members 100 hours
Premier Executive® members 72 hours
Premier members 48 hours
General members and non-members 24 hours

You may request your upgrade when you reserve your tickets. You don't have to call to confirm your upgrade. It will be confirmed automatically, based on availability. You can also stand-by at the gate.
The last paragraph was never in the policy before. Hmmmm, wonder how that happened?
Old Jul 26, 2004, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The key is in your post. Select Y or B fares. Not all Y or B fares qualify for the free upgrade.
Old Jul 26, 2004, 8:45 pm
Original Poster

How do you know which ones are considered "select"?
Old Jul 26, 2004, 9:13 pm

Programs: NorthSails® | Starboard | ION
Qualifying Y and B fares

From this thread found in the sticky, and thanks to sftrvlr:

-----BOOKING CODES/FARE BASIS CODES-----

PERMITTED FROM BOOKING CODE BOOK UPGRADE IN
---------------- -------------- -----------------
ECONOMY Y/B - SEE BELOW NC OR NF

FARE BASIS CODES: Y YUA YUAS BUA BUAS B1UA YUAX BUAX
BUANR YUANR B0CRREF B0NB B2 BE120C
BHE120C BHE90C BHO BHW0CR BHWR BA3
BHX0CR BHXR BLE120C BLE90C BLO BA3S
BLW0CR BLWR BLX0CR BLXR BPE90C
BRHOLNR BSFFL Y2 YHO YHWR YHXR
YLO YLWR YLXR
As for the "changed policy," I am unclear as to what the issue is...

If the added paragraph is this:
You may request your upgrade when you reserve your tickets. You don't have to call to confirm your upgrade. It will be confirmed automatically, based on availability. You can also stand-by at the gate.
I see no change here, nor do I see how that materially affects your situation as you have described it.

Did you book in any of the above codes and tried to get upgraded and were denied, both at reservations and at the gate? If so, then you have a real issue to take up with C/S.
Old Jul 26, 2004, 9:42 pm
Original Poster

As for the "changed policy," I am unclear as to what the issue is...

If the added paragraph is this:
I see no change here, nor do I see how that materially affects your situation as you have described it.
The policy before never mentioned that you had to request the upgrade or stand-by at the gate, it inferred it would just be granted.

Did you book in any of the above codes and tried to get upgraded and were denied, both at reservations and at the gate? If so, then you have a real issue to take up with C/S.
Not really sure which class I was in but I'll check the tickets tomorrow when I get into the office.
Old Jul 27, 2004, 9:54 am
Original Poster

I just checked my ticket and I was in BA3S which is one of the selected from the list above. Now the point is, do you have to request it or do they give it to you? Does anyone know?
Old Jul 27, 2004, 10:39 am

Programs: NorthSails® | Starboard | ION
Originally Posted by abramom
I just checked my ticket and I was in BA3S which is one of the selected from the list above. Now the point is, do you have to request it or do they give it to you? Does anyone know?
They give it to you automatically based on availability at reservations, at clearing window based on status, and checkin. Note, however, that the computer is looking for NC or NF inventory, not the number of empty seats in C or F.

Perhaps this is why the policy now encourages you to stand by for it at the gate: once you have checked in, the gate agent has no way of knowing you are up for an upgrade unless inventory management turns every empty C or F seat into NC or NF iventory in those last few minutes before departure.

I don't know about you, but if I were flying on an elegible B fare, I would be requesting the upgrade at reservations, my clearing window, check-in and at the gate, particularly due to the booking code of the upgrade. In fact, because of that, I would expect that if I didn't clear at reservations, my next real chance would only come at the gate.

Please keep us posted on how C/S addresses your situation.
Old Jul 27, 2004, 10:46 am

These upgrades are processed automatically when making the purchase through UA reservations. If you purchase through another outlet (ie travel agency) it requires manual effort.
Old Jul 27, 2004, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Most of my travel is booked by our inhouse travel agent. I always use easy check-in or print my own tickets at home and bypass the ticket counter. I just assumed that these upgrades would be automatic by the GA like OP-UPs.

They want you to use the wasy check-in to reduce their need for TA's but it seems to screw the pax.

Will keep you posted on the CSR results.
Old Jul 27, 2004, 2:16 pm
In Memoriam, Original Member

Most of my travel is booked by our inhouse travel agent. I always use easy check-in or print my own tickets at home and bypass the ticket counter. I just assumed that these upgrades would be automatic by the GA like OP-UPs.
???

I is very clear that if your ticket is booked by a TA that they have to request the upgrade. The GA has nothing to do with it and IMHO nor does Customer Relations. It is your TA's fault not UA's.
Old Jul 27, 2004, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium

They want you to use the wasy check-in to reduce their need for TA's but it seems to screw the pax.

Will keep you posted on the CSR results.
If you use Mr. Easy Check-in, you can request the upgrade during the check-in process.

This does not work like the CO or NW plans where the computer automatically searches for eligable elites and upgrades them without a request. If your TA puts in a code they can request the upgrade without calling UA (search threads here to find the code).
Old Jul 27, 2004, 2:56 pm

Programs: BA GLD
It can be done by the travel agent or UA

It's a very simple procedure that is done at the time of booking. The entry is exactly the same as the entry to use 500 milers. The only difference is that they do not deduct the 500 milers at check in. The upgrades are based on your MP status, and clear or waitlist accordingly. If you were not already upgraded or on the waitlist when you checked in, the gate agent would not just automatically upgrade you. You need to have them add you to the list at that time if you wish to upgrade.
Old Jul 27, 2004, 7:10 pm

Programs: UA-1P
Originally Posted by Baze
The key is in your post. Select Y or B fares. Not all Y or B fares qualify for the free upgrade.

Another Key is you have to request it sometimes. Only when you buy a B or Y fare from UA with you MP elite status at time of tkt*ing does it automatically put the request in for you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.