Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Losing my virginity: things that go bump overnight (Voluntarily Denied Boarding)

Losing my virginity: things that go bump overnight (Voluntarily Denied Boarding)

Old Jun 25, 2004, 6:12 am
Original Poster

I got my first bump last Saturday, JFK-LHR. It was the first time I'd tried for a bump, and I researched a lot of threads here beforehand. I thought it might be useful to summarise what I'd learnt from both others' posts and my own experiences.

1. Keep an eye on how full your flight is (I used UA's booking tool in "expert" mode). On my flight, everything in Y and C was zeroed out, and F was down to only a few seats available.

2. Check-in early, but don't go mad. Apparently the VDB list (that's voluntary denied boarding) clears by status, then fare, then time added to the list. On a long haul flight with an overnight bump, it's not a particularly popular pastime given that most people have plans. The chances of there being someone with both your status and fare on the list are slim.

3. At check-in, get your seat-assignment if you don't already have it. Then politely enquire about how full the flight is, and say you're willing to bump and would they put you on the list. Even if they say they're unlikely to need you, still ask to be put on the list anyway just in case. They will give you a "departure management card" which is printed on boarding card stock which says something along the lines of "thank you for volunteering; if we need you, we'll see you right". Providing you have a seat assignment, you won't lose it unless they actually bump you, so don't worry about volunteering and ending up losing your E+ aisle seat and ending up down the back in the middle.

4. Don't worry if you have checked bags. Providing you ask to go on the list at check-in, they will tag your bags as if you were a "stand-by" passenger, meaning that your bags won't be loaded till you actually board.

5. You need to be at the gate when it opens (an hour before) but not before, so go shopping, hang out at the RCC, whatever. When the gate opens, wait a few minutes until the already harrassed gate agent has been hassled by a bunch of people wanting seat assignments and upgrades. Approach the gate agent and say (in an adaptation of PremEx's The Speech: "I just wanted to let you know that if you need my seat I'm happy to be bumped. I'm already on the list, my name's Wingnut and I'll be sitting just over there" (select a seat near the gate within the agent's line of sight).

6. Wait to be called. Catch the gate agent's eye now and then and smile sympathetically with a smile that says "I feel your pain. You're having an awful shift and all your passengers are being so unreasonable. Remember, I'm here to make your life easier." Practise that smile in the hotel before you go to the airport.

7. Don't board until the last possible minute. Check with the gate agent before boarding that they're not going to need you.

8. When called, go up to the podium but don't get into the negotiation unless they have the time. If necessary wait until the flight has gone.

9. When it happened to me, they offered $400 in vouchers over the PA (plus accommodation and food and a guaranteed seat on the next, also oversold, flight). My vouchers had been printed off when they raised to offer to $500 to try to get more volunteers. My vouchers were voided and increased without being asked. I was in the Ramada JFK for the night (UA's rate $119 if anyone's interested) and got $35 in food vouchers to be used at the hotel or at the airport. I had been waitlisted for upgrade, and got this confirmed on the next flight (I had to ask for this, "I don't suppose there's any chance you could confirm my upgrade on tomorrow's flight?". Providing you've not been pushy, they're very grateful that you've made their lives easier and will do most things within reason. I was aware from reading the threads that I ought to have got $600 for this bump, but I didn't know what the Apollo Code was (S*UAL/DENIED-VDB, good thread here), and the gate agent was only offering what her supervisor had authorised. Given that they'd confirmed my upgrade on the next flight, and that was worth at least $100 to me, I didn't push it. Also, I was going to try for a bump on the next flight (didn't get it in the end) and was aware that the same gate agents might be on duty the next day (which they were)...

Hope that helps others lose their bump cherry.

Moderator's Note - Link to active thread -http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus/1093537-consolidated-voluntarily-denied-boarding-vdb-bump-ua-thread-merged.html

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jun 19, 2010 at 9:34 am
Old Jun 25, 2004, 6:42 am

Programs: Club interjet; Airbnb
Great Post!

Congratulations, and thanks for the very excellent post on your experience. ^
Old Jun 25, 2004, 6:42 am

Programs: Club interjet; Airbnb
Great Post!

Congratulations, and thanks for the very excellent post on your experience. ^
Old Jun 25, 2004, 7:16 am
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Wonderful post wingnut! Thanks for sharing!
Old Jun 25, 2004, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by Wingnut
Losing my virginity: things that go bump overnight
And here I was thinking this was gonna be a Mile High Club story...
Old Jun 25, 2004, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K - 2MM, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Great post Wingnut and what a great way to handle yourself. ^
Old Jun 25, 2004, 8:07 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
Getting bumped 101!

For someone who has only been bumped once you certainly know how it's done! Congratulations. Yes, I'm often impressed with how relieved the GAs are when you offer up your seat. In their position, I would dread telling someone that, sorry, you've been involuntarily denied boarding!

Unfortunately, it only occasionally comes down to fare/status/time. This is really one of the things in the airline business where a lot of lee-way is given to the agent. One of my frustrations is that GAs often prefer to bump families/couples over individuals. That way there are seats together should families traveling be requesting those, or just to have to deal with less people. Often I would find myself at the top of the list, but the GA decides to take a family of 4 instead because, well, it works out better for them (and screws me!).

Practise that smile in the hotel before you go to the airport.
... ... ... getting better??
Old Jun 25, 2004, 8:07 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
Getting bumped 101!

For someone who has only been bumped once you certainly know how it's done! Congratulations. Yes, I'm often impressed with how relieved the GAs are when you offer up your seat. In their position, I would dread telling someone that, sorry, you've been involuntarily denied boarding!

Unfortunately, it only occasionally comes down to fare/status/time. This is really one of the things in the airline business where a lot of lee-way is given to the agent. One of my frustrations is that GAs often prefer to bump families/couples over individuals. That way there are seats together should families traveling be requesting those, or just to have to deal with less people. Often I would find myself at the top of the list, but the GA decides to take a family of 4 instead because, well, it works out better for them (and screws me!).

Practise that smile in the hotel before you go to the airport.
... ... ... getting better??
Old Jun 25, 2004, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good play!
Old Jun 25, 2004, 9:17 am

I was aware from reading the threads that I ought to have got $600 for this bump, but I didn't know what the Apollo Code was (S*UAL/DENIED-VDB, good thread here), and the gate agent was only offering what her supervisor had authorised.
Wingnut, just so you know, S*UAL/DENIED-VDB only covers DOMESTIC flights. A bump from an international flight is a whole other ballgame, which is actually a good thing, because those international bump vouchers can go way over the $600 domestic limit if necessary.
Old Jun 26, 2004, 5:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SGT Clair
Wingnut, just so you know, S*UAL/DENIED-VDB only covers DOMESTIC flights. A bump from an international flight is a whole other ballgame, which is actually a good thing, because those international bump vouchers can go way over the $600 domestic limit if necessary.
That's very interesting to know. Does anyone have the Apollo code for the guidelines on international flights? Or is it just at the agent's discretion?
Old Jun 26, 2004, 9:26 am

Programs: UA, bmi, Leaders Club
That's very useful. Thanks. I have had VDB before in Hong Kong, and when I hanged out in the RCC, I chatted with a supervisor for this and that. When I went down to the gate, the supervisor told the agent to give me the VDB, which I have been requested. I got $400. It was a flight from HKG - ORD - DSM and the christmas of 2001. The ticket was only $760 including tax. The next day, she asked me whether I would like a VDB again, but I had an appointment. So, I had to come back for sure. If I have stayed, UA paid to fly me the round trip, and gave me $40 to spend in Hong Kong.
Old Jun 28, 2004, 5:11 pm

Wingnut, I salute your potency.
Old Jun 28, 2004, 6:46 pm

Great post on the polite way to get a bump. I only fly about 4-5 times a year, but I always volunteer for bumps and usually get them. I travel with a carry on which makes it even easier. My best bump was from a ticket I bought on pricline for $175. I got 2 bumps on the way home, came home with $700 in vouchers and flew first class on two legs. My last bump is taking me to New Orleans in Jan to go on a Western Caribbean cruise. I love the bump!
Old Jun 28, 2004, 9:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP
Talking

Originally Posted by dirtcheaptraveler
I love the bump!

"gotta love the bump"

(With apologies to Seinfeld)

Lurker

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.