Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Dumb Question (especially as a seasoned 1K) regarding e-fares

Old May 19, 2004, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Location: Los Angeles, CA USA UA Premier Plat , 1.24MM, AA EXP

Sorry in advance on this dumb question but I haven't purchased an e-fare in a long, long time. I know that historically, international e-fares have not been upgradeable with SWU's given the booking codes (T, I think). I was looking at efares for LAX-SYD and wasn't able to identify the booking code on the UA website. I think the answer is that international e-fares remain un-upgradeable with SWU's, but maybe some pigs do fly. Any help from those in the know out there??

Peace,
Jimbo
Old May 19, 2004, 3:33 pm

Programs: DL-Plat, UA-Plat 2MM, AA-PlatPro, B6-Mosaic 3, AY-Plat, HY-Globalist, MR-LT Plat, HH-Gold
Originally Posted by Jimbo
Sorry in advance on this dumb question but I haven't purchased an e-fare in a long, long time. I know that historically, international e-fares have not been upgradeable with SWU's given the booking codes (T, I think). I was looking at efares for LAX-SYD and wasn't able to identify the booking code on the UA website. I think the answer is that international e-fares remain un-upgradeable with SWU's, but maybe some pigs do fly. Any help from those in the know out there??

Peace,
Jimbo
If the e-fare is W or higher, you can use your SWU.

See here for more.
Old May 19, 2004, 3:45 pm

Programs: Bear Backers
E fares and vouchers

I have a $150 voucher but every time I try to use it, I find an E fare about that much cheaper than what a reservationist will give me for domestic travel. Very frustrating that you can't use vouchers with e fares.
Old May 19, 2004, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It used to be that International weekly e-fare specials had very specific wording that stated that they were not upgradeable, up front not in the fare rules.

I reviewed the International weekly e-fare specials rules many months ago and found this wording about 'upgradeability' was no longer included.

I assume now that the fare class is the deciding factor. So e-SWU's "... may be used on most United Business (C) or United Economy (Y, B, M, H, Q, V, W) booking classes. ...except when the terms and conditions of sale state that the fare is not eligible for upgrade. "

So if you purchase an International e-fare weekly special in CYBMHQVW, and there is no wording in the fare rules specifically excluding upgrades, you should be good to go?
Old May 19, 2004, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by oskidunker
I have a $150 voucher but every time I try to use it, I find an E fare about that much cheaper than what a reservationist will give me for domestic travel. Very frustrating that you can't use vouchers with e fares.
Its called an E-Fare for a reason. All online means less human intervention...which means less cost to United. ^
Old May 19, 2004, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
In the case of your LAX-SYD e-fare, it comes out as an S fare basis, not upgradable with SWU but it is with mileage. Sometimes I have gotten Pacific e-fares that I have been able to use SWU on, but not those to Oz the last couple of weeks.
Old May 19, 2004, 6:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP
Question S Fare upgradeable with mileage????

Originally Posted by flyinbob
In the case of your LAX-SYD e-fare, it comes out as an S fare basis, not upgradable with SWU but it is with mileage.

REALLY???? I thought it was HMBY for miles. (But I could be wrong)...

Lurker
Old May 19, 2004, 6:59 pm

Programs: NorthSails® | Starboard | ION
Originally Posted by flyinbob
In the case of your LAX-SYD e-fare, it comes out as an S fare basis, not upgradable with SWU but it is with mileage.
Really?

I thought that only "H" and higher were upgradable with miles on international itineraries...
Old May 19, 2004, 7:34 pm

Internationally (South America, Europe, Japan, North Asia, South Asia, & Australia), only C,D,Y,B,M, & H can be upgraded with miles. 15,000 miles are required each way for Y & B fares. 30,000 miles are required each way for C,D, M, & H fares. While I am at it, within North America (50 States, Mexico, Canada, Caribbean, & Central America), C,D, M, H, Q, V, W, S, K, L, T are upgradeable using 15,000 each way, while Y & B are upgradeable for 8,000 each way.

See http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,1151,00.html for more information.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.