Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

LAS United security lines this past Sunday?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2004, 7:02 am
Original Poster

I have heard a lot of horror stories of the security lines at LAS. I have a TED flight out to DEN at 8am this Sunday. I am traveling with a 4 and 1 year old so I am trying to find out timing to arrive at the airport and check in and go through security without missing my flight or getting there too early? How long are the waits? Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance
Old Apr 20, 2004, 7:20 am

Sunday is the worst day to fly out of LAS. If you are on an 8:00AM flight, I would arrive at the airport no later than 6:30AM. I flew out this past Sunday with at Noon, and my friends left at 8:00. They said the line was about 30 minutes long at 6:30. It appeared to be about 45 minutes long when I went through, but I was in the FC line, which still took about 10 minutes.
Old Apr 20, 2004, 9:26 am
mkc

I flew out 2 weeks ago at 7:45pm on Sunday, and there were ZERO people in the security line. First time in a long time that I've arrived at the gate with more than an hour to wait.
Old Apr 20, 2004, 10:45 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
Apparently the worst of the line on Sunday was between 8am and 11am. By the time we got in line at 11:30am, it took "only" 45 minutes. I don't know if it got worse later in the day..
Old Apr 20, 2004, 11:56 am

Programs: UAL IK;Marriott Plat Elite;Hyatt Diamond;Hilton Gold;Hertz Presidents Circle
I went thru about 3:15 and it was not bad at all...
Old Apr 20, 2004, 2:27 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond & 2MM; Hertz Platinum; UA GS; Hilton Diamond & Marriott Plat Premier Lifetime
Problem is that some of the delay at LAS security is dependent upon a major convention ending and everyone in attendance trying to get home at the same time. It's hard to be absolutely certain what you're going to find...
Old Apr 20, 2004, 5:19 pm

I flew out Easter Sunday afternoon. It took all of 5 minutes checking in and getting through security.
Old Apr 20, 2004, 7:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
I flew out of LAS at 4:05 this afternoon. I arrived at the airport at 2:15 in anticipation of a security line from hell. It took me less than 5 minutes to get through security. However, the security line for the C concourse (Southwest) was very long, but at least looked like it was moving. A major broadcasting convention (90,000 people) is ending on Thursday afternoon, so you should miss that mass exodus.
Old Apr 20, 2004, 9:13 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Gold, Hertz Gold, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by Talker
Problem is that some of the delay at LAS security is dependent upon a major convention ending and everyone in attendance trying to get home at the same time. It's hard to be absolutely certain what you're going to find...
A list of conventions in Vegas, including estimated numbers of attendees in each one, can be found at http://www.ratelasvegas.com/conventions/index.html

For example, it indicates that 20,000 attendees are expected at the Hospitality Design Exposition during 4/29-5/1. It also provides a link to the exposition Website which includes the schedule for the exposition, allowing one to guess (at one's own peril) when most of the 20,000 will be departing.

Some other big conventions inVegas in May:

18,000 at International Esthetics, Cosmetics and Spa 5/1-5/3
50,000 at National Hardware Show, 5/10-5/12
25,000 at Networld+Interop 5/11-5/13
34,000 at International Council of Shopping Centers 5/24-5/26
Old Apr 21, 2004, 1:17 am

Programs: UAL IK;Marriott Plat Elite;Hyatt Diamond;Hilton Gold;Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by SS255
I flew out of LAS at 4:05 this afternoon. I arrived at the airport at 2:15 in anticipation of a security line from hell. It took me less than 5 minutes to get through security. However, the security line for the C concourse (Southwest) was very long, but at least looked like it was moving. A major broadcasting convention (90,000 people) is ending on Thursday afternoon, so you should miss that mass exodus.

I was on your flight! I was in the exit row, seat 11A...
Old Apr 21, 2004, 9:39 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
I was in 3D. Looked around for FT luggage tags, but didn't spot any.
Old Apr 21, 2004, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fogmalkin
I flew out Easter Sunday afternoon. It took all of 5 minutes checking in and getting through security.
Same here.
Old Apr 21, 2004, 10:02 am

It has been pretty good the last several weeks. Perhaps they have made some behind the scenes changes that have sped up the screening? Tomorrow will be an interesting day at LAS. Anyone who flies out of there tomorrow, please let us know...
Old Apr 21, 2004, 4:18 pm

Programs: DL-Plat, UA-Plat 2MM, AA-PlatPro, B6-Mosaic 3, AY-Plat, HY-Globalist, MR-LT Plat, HH-Gold
Originally Posted by debua1k
Perhaps they have made some behind the scenes changes that have sped up the screening?
There are changes in the works. They are building a huge screening area in front of the existing D checkpoint and there are giant banners with some sort of western-themed saying like "Howdy pardner, we're building more security checkpoints. We thank everyone for their patience." OK, it's not that cheezy, but close.

I flew out of LAS two days ago (Monday night). My companion forgot his ID, so we got there WAY early. Took less than 5 mins to get through security. Two changes I did notice, possibly related:

-The door between the C&D gates behind security was open, so you could conceivably go through either checkpoint and cross over to the other tram. This is not always the case.

-The C gates (Southwest) have an alternate security checkpoint. You access it from outside, directly below the C terminal area. It doesn't use a tram, you just walk (stairs/escalator/elevator-?) right up to the gate area.

Maybe by cutting down the C line, they can divert D people to the C checkpoint?
Old Apr 21, 2004, 4:23 pm

They are adding 6 new checkpoints. These are due to open up in the Fall. However, the D gates are being expanded. They are adding 16 new gates. These are due to open in the Winter. So, these new gates will take up any additional capacity created by the additional checkpoints.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.