United, it time to improve TED!!!!!!

Old Apr 17, 04, 2:28 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, RCC, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
United, it time to improve TED!!!!!!

I hear many stories of Flyertalkers unhappy with their service with TED. Most of the complaints are No First Class sections. I still would not care sitting in FC on a SFO/LAX-LAS flight but if I had an expiring 500 milers, I would gladly use them. I think it's time for TED to add a FC section on at least their long range routes (IAD-LAS). Maybe TED should make a TED long range A-320 on a long range route or have a TED A320 with 4 or 8 FC seats so there would be less than 150 seats so TED will only need 3 FAs. I think TED was created to reduce the costs of crew members which did not happen and to compete with LCCs. Does anyone know why Aloha and Hawaiian Airlines have First Class sections on thier interisland planes when the flight lasts about 20-45 minutues? It is because connecting passengers who paid a FC fare or miles would not be disappointed when connecting on Aloha or Hawaiian. Their code share partners want Aloha and Hawaiian to have a First Class cabin. What other things should TED improve on?
Old Apr 17, 04, 7:09 pm
das

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold
The whole point of Ted is to NOT have First Class - so they can cram in 4 seats. Given Ted is flying in high load factor markets, the 4th F/A is far cheaper than the revenue of those extra 6 seats.

Here's a list of the cutbacks I've noticed on Ted:
- No First Class
- No full cans of soda, even on the Denver to Florida flights
- No full beverage service on LAX-LAS, just lemonade and water (mainline had full drink service, even with only 3 F/As)
- No movies
- Different audio (I like normal UA audio better)
- No closet space, so crew bags and video equipment are stored in the overheads, meaning there is limited space for carryons.

But at least they kept E+, and they also have more frequency and seats in the markets they are serving (swapped out more 737s and regular 320s than 757s) - so overall I'm actually glad we have Ted.
Old Apr 17, 04, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
One of TED's cornerstones, in addition to (supposedly) cheaper operating costs and (in some cases) lower fares, was the idea that on a leisure route, First Class was a money-loser. Nobody paid the actual fare, most upgraded from mid-to-low fare bases, and removing the seats allowed more Economy seats to be fitted which would be filled because the loads on leisure routes are (always) so high.

I flew SFO-BWI in 11C (Exit Row) on a packed A320 on Friday. I am 6'2" and 300 pounds and I was perfectly fine. More legroom then First, more tray room for my laptop (if not in Row 1, forget using anything larger then a Sony VAIO subnotebook on a domestic First Class cabin), and the FAs did a water run every hour. Normally, transcons are automatic upgrades, but this was an overnight and the Airbus seats are so much more comfortable then those on the 737/757 (I still cannot comprehend how an extra inch of seat width offers so much more comfort. I used to work for Boeing, yet I will go out of my way for Airbus single-aisle plane service).

Now I am flying a 757-200 back Monday morning, and I just secured 1B, even though I had 9C (best Exit Row seat on the plane). Just don't want to be wedged into my seat for five hours.
Old Apr 17, 04, 7:39 pm

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by SEA_Tigger
(if not in Row 1, forget using anything larger then a Sony VAIO subnotebook on a domestic First Class cabin),
Odd. My 15.4" Dell seems to work just fine in any domestic first seat.

Still no excuse to dump FC. BRING BACK FIRST CLASS.
Old Apr 17, 04, 11:09 pm

I thought that AQs 1st class cabin was that I could use a 10k UA award when the 5k award wasn't available.

-David
Old Apr 18, 04, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
I guess it's true, they can't measure flier loyalty against pure revenue.

Short-sighted thinking.
Old Apr 18, 04, 3:00 am

Originally Posted by flyhawaii
I hear many stories of Flyertalkers unhappy with their service with TED. Most of the complaints are No First Class sections. I still would not care sitting in FC on a SFO/LAX-LAS flight but if I had an expiring 500 milers, I would gladly use them. I think it's time for TED to add a FC section on at least their long range routes (IAD-LAS). Maybe TED should make a TED long range A-320 on a long range route or have a TED A320 with 4 or 8 FC seats so there would be less than 150 seats so TED will only need 3 FAs. I think TED was created to reduce the costs of crew members which did not happen and to compete with LCCs. Does anyone know why Aloha and Hawaiian Airlines have First Class sections on thier interisland planes when the flight lasts about 20-45 minutues? It is because connecting passengers who paid a FC fare or miles would not be disappointed when connecting on Aloha or Hawaiian. Their code share partners want Aloha and Hawaiian to have a First Class cabin. What other things should TED improve on?
Yeah but if you wan FC you could fly IAD-DEN(FC)-LAS(TED).
Old Apr 18, 04, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by Axey
Odd. My 15.4" Dell seems to work just fine in any domestic first seat.
You have the WXGA widescreen, right? They're a good deal shorter. Try one of the old 4:3 aspect ratio 15"s. My corporate Thinkpad is one and, especially on 757s, if I am not in Row 1 and the person in front is fully reclined, it ends up partly on my lap to fit.
Old Apr 18, 04, 8:15 am

Programs: UA 1MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
If you are sad about the lack of First Class because you were paying First (or Business) Class fares, take your business to a company that appreciates it. If you are sad about the lack of First Class because you were upgrading, accept what you pay for.

TED will fail. The sooner that happens, the better it will be for everyone.
Old Apr 18, 04, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by zvezda
If you are sad about the lack of First Class because you were paying First (or Business) Class fares, take your business to a company that appreciates it. If you are sad about the lack of First Class because you were upgrading, accept what you pay for.

TED will fail. The sooner that happens, the better it will be for everyone.
Zvezda, you have said what almost everyone is afraid to say. "Ted will fail." I think most are complaining because they are afraid that WHEN TED FAILS, UNITED WILL FAIL.

Like the parent of a wayward teenager, we tell them what they are doing is wrong, we explain our concerns, and they... do what ever they want because they think they know everything.

And when the "tough love" kicks in and we tell them that we are not going to fly their United flights anymore (not because we don't love them, but because we cannot condone their actions and lack of concern), they will, like wayward teenagers, be completely shocked, hurt, and they will ask "WHY?!?"

.... And we will shake our heads
Old Apr 18, 04, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by SGT Clair
Zvezda, you have said what almost everyone is afraid to say. "Ted will fail." I think most are complaining because they are afraid that WHEN TED FAILS, UNITED WILL FAIL.
On the contrary, I suspect the main fear in elites here is that Ted will indeed succeed and perhaps even set the tone for what UA will become in the future. "Ted will fail" is wishful thinking and "United will fail because of it" is a rationalization to justify that view. Despite all the posturing we do on this board, our wishes for what is good for UA is almost entirely dictated by what is good for us. Sometimes, we are right. Sometimes, UA is right.
Old Apr 18, 04, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by SGT Clair
Exactly. Either UA will cut their losses and pull the plug on TED or UA will ride TED into the ground. I'm hoping for the former, but I fear the latter.
Old Apr 18, 04, 7:26 pm
das

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold
I don't understand why you all want Ted to fail - I'm actually really glad about the additional seats into Florida and LAS. Makes it far easier for me to stay loyal to UA when they have flights available at convenient times. I actually wish they would bring Ted onto SEA-SFO, because that route sells out quite often, and F service isn't really much different from Y (especially on the Shuttle 737s).

They just need to leave SEA-LAX alone, because I like the hot meals up front. :-)
Old Apr 18, 04, 7:45 pm

Programs: lapsed UA 1K (now a lowly 2P), HGP Platinum
I don't know if I want Ted to fail or not, but it's not going to do well when I search for fares to LAS, and my choices are:

$147 Ted (same price the mainline flight was a month ago) LAX-LAS
$98 WN BUR-LAS

Exactly how is this competition with the LCC? I booked the WN flight, and I'll suck it up and deal with WN for such a short flight.
Old Apr 18, 04, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by robb
I don't know if I want Ted to fail or not, but it's not going to do well when I search for fares to LAS, and my choices are:

$147 Ted (same price the mainline flight was a month ago) LAX-LAS
$98 WN BUR-LAS

Exactly how is this competition with the LCC? I booked the WN flight, and I'll suck it up and deal with WN for such a short flight.
Why are you comparing LAX and BUR? I think flights that depart from LAX is going to be price higher than BUR anyway since LAX is an international gateway.
Why not compare

wn and ua - lax-las. Even though I do not fly those route. WOuld like to know the price difference

Search this Thread
Search Engine: