Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

United has better customer service than American?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2004, 11:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, AA CK 2MM, DL DM 1MM, WN CP, AS MVP, B6 Mosaic3, Marriott Titanium Lftm, Hyatt GLB

Before y'all rush for the exits to switch to AA...

American shares service complaints
To help keep customers, airline asks flight attendants to improve
12:00 AM CDT on Wednesday, April 14, 2004
By ERIC TORBENSON / The Dallas Morning News

Poor service from flight attendants may cost American Airlines Inc. crucial business customers in the Northeast, according to focus groups with some of the carrier's top customers.

Fort Worth-based American detailed the bad news in a recent letter sent to thousands of flight attendants – and asked them to improve their performance.

If it weren't for American's schedule and frequent-flier program, top corporate fliers said, they'd switch carriers, according to the letter from American regional manager John Tiliacos. Travel managers at major companies "are being pressured by their employees to seek an alternate carrier to do business with instead of American," the letter said.

<snip>

American's service quality isn't as good as United's right now, said industry consultant Michael Boyd of the Boyd Group in Evergreen, Colo.

American should count itself lucky that United, the nation's No. 2 carrier, is busy reorganizing itself in bankruptcy protection and doesn't have the resources to try to swipe American's customers, he said.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...ght.c3d7c.html
Old Apr 14, 2004, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by ORD_UA1K
Poor service from flight attendants may cost American Airlines Inc. crucial business customers in the Northeast, according to focus groups with some of the carrier's top customers.
Yup - those businesses that switched from UAX/ACA to AA.
Old Apr 14, 2004, 5:51 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
It's not just the FAs with AA. Customer service in general is an oxymoron. No updates on flight time changes, no idea where lost luggage is, etc.
Old Apr 14, 2004, 6:06 pm

Programs: 1.3mm
better link

http://www.internalmemos.com:8080/me...p?memo_id=2241
Old Apr 14, 2004, 6:19 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Plat
I too have had better customer service experiences with UA than AA over the last year. It's like maybe a 10% better experience for me overall taking UA over AA (that's not much but it's enough to notice). The morale seems a little better overall at UA (or maybe there's more of an appreciation for the risk of bad service-- happens when you've fallen from #1 to #2 and are in CH11). I see the difference as UA realises they have to do something to positive to survive; AA just isn't sure what to do and they haven't been forced as close to the edge of the cliff (yet). Areas where I find UA superior to AA: Slightly more responsible information about flight schedules and irregularities; entertainment options on more flights; economy plus is a shade nicer than mrtc; channel 9; and free drinks in Y on overseas flights. Have found staff attitudes to be a toss up. From my experience though, I can count several instances where airport and cabin service staff at UA have done really unexpected and nice things to help me out whereas with maybe one exception AA staff have been cold, unhelpful and downright mechanical. Mind you, there are plenty of the same at UA (and there are some real prize winners there for sure) but I just finding AA to be getting increasingly cut throat and bottom-line oriented - to the extent they may be cutting their own throats and driving us to UA and the rest.
Old Apr 14, 2004, 7:57 pm

Programs: AA, UA
I am surprised by the report. I do find AA FA's & service to be better than UA, not sure of phone service (have not used them much lately - I could do upgrades on web for a long time on AA).

Still I am a 1K and just a Gold this year with AA - why - I do quite a bit of travel to Asia and UA has lot more options.
Old Apr 14, 2004, 8:35 pm

Programs: *A Gold, OW Sapphire, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat
UA and AA service are miles apart. UA is currently 1K better than AA.

The previous poster has summed up interesting points.

Having flown same routes on UA and AA I say it's incredible different, specially in coach: Eg: Seat belt sign is ON for the majority of the flight regardless of being a 90 min ride or a 10 hour flight. If one dares to get up (healthy exercise, loo, whatever) one will surely meet a GestAApo FA who will summon one back to the seat. If it's not her voice it'll be her looks that will make you do as ordered (ooops, should say instructed). And AA airplanes have a shabbier look when compared to UA's. And yes, finding an AA employee who's happy or smiles at you is rare - and because it's so rare it draws my attention - it's soothing.

I dare say AA marketing strategies are more effective for John Doe as only when he'll become a frequent flier he'll notice he has been somehow deceived. Becoming AA mid-tier elite is a joke, piling up miles is a piece of cake and getting MRTC is everything one can dream. Then one realizes that being mid-tier doesn't grant all those benefits, miles usually require a payment to be redeemed and even additional payments to change dates, also awards seem to be more expensive, finally getting an award is painful - read current threads at AA forum on no availability. Oh, and MRTC still being advertised yes if you don't fly their many 757 and Airbus- Wait you can fly in a cramped seat (757/airbus) and have IFE OR fly MRTC (MD-80 and others) and no IFE - What a choice. Exception for AA 767 (MRTC+IFE) and AA 777 (MRTC+PTV). Finally routes where UA serves a meal, AA serves... beverages.

The unique point I can't comment, other than "hear say" is the coveted EXP level, claimed to be better than UA 1K - But then so many things at AA land are said to be better and one gets there notices that the grass is so much darker, that I'm not as interested as before in getting EXP - not to be deceived again.
Old Apr 14, 2004, 9:46 pm

Before y'all rush for the exits to switch to AA...
Take it as a sign that things are going to get better. AA is finally putting the issue on the table. And something good might just come out of it.

On the whole, AA's FA's are very professional and most try to provide outstanding service, particularly in the premium classes. Unfortunately, this memo throws to wide of a net on the problem.

Whatever the case, someone inside the company is finally making a big deal out of the 5 to 10% of FA's who have bad attitudes. Has anyone said anything of the like at UA? Don't expect Jane Allen to speak up. She was brought in from AA to pacify the UA FA's. She was good at doing that at American. She did very little to improve the service levels.

There was a time when AA used to compare itself to United. The new benchmark at AA, however, is Continental. That's why, according to another internal memo, AA restored meal service to pre- 9/11 levels in all premium cabins. That is why AA instituted complimentary upgrades for EXP's. They want to beat Continental at its own game. They no longer really care what United does.
Old Apr 14, 2004, 10:04 pm

American's service quality isn't as good as United's right now, said industry consultant Michael Boyd of the Boyd Group in Evergreen, Colo.

American should count itself lucky that United, the nation's No. 2 carrier, is busy reorganizing itself in bankruptcy protection and doesn't have the resources to try to swipe American's customers, he said.

[/url]
One more thought I had when reading the article. Mr. Boyd is also quoted as saying - "I fly a lot, and I'm telling you, if United ever gets its act together, American's in trouble. "United's customer service is keeping them in the game. American has great management talent, but the passenger in Chicago doesn't care who's in the front office; they care about who's in the cabin."

I also fly a lot, particularly through Chicago. Apparently, Mr. Boyd hasn't stepped foot in Concourse F. What a disaster?

Hey, Mr. Boyd, thanks to AA's great management talent there is a Concourse G for American Eagle. He should visit it sometime before he starts spouting about what the passenger in Chicago cares about.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.