FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger-504/)
-   -   Why does this forum exist? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger/1327725-why-does-forum-exist.html)

malgudi Mar 22, 2012 11:32 am

Why does this forum exist?

Just curious ... since the merger has been completed. What is the point of posting here (instead of the other Consolidated Forum?) :confused:

JetAway Mar 22, 2012 12:06 pm

There are still a lot of holdover issues to be discussed and put to rest.

SEA1K4EVR Mar 22, 2012 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by JetAway (Post 18252210)
There are still a lot of holdover issues to be discussed and put to rest.

I guess, but I think it's high time to get rid of these sub-forums. At minimum, perhaps a permanent moratorium on any NEW threads in the sub-forums... only replies to older threads.

thomasj Mar 22, 2012 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR (Post 18252245)
I guess, but I think it's high time to get rid of these sub-forums. At minimum, perhaps a permanent moratorium on any NEW threads in the sub-forums... only replies to older threads.

Agreed. No need for sub-forums at this point. The multiple forums have gone on long enough, and they're just tedious at this point.

And besides...WE...ARE...UNITED! Right? :p:D:rolleyes::cool:

FWAAA Mar 22, 2012 12:39 pm

There's no need to do away with the sub-fora; IMO, keeping them would make searching easier than if they were somehow combined into one mega-forum. At the same time, there's no need to start new threads in the sub-fora.

Hungry Dingo Mar 22, 2012 1:14 pm

These aren't the posts you're looking for...

The force is strong with this one.

NickP 1K Mar 22, 2012 2:08 pm

Can't the mods at least put a sticky to post NEW threads to the consolidated board??

Also can new threads be prevented while still allowing replies to old threads?

I see many threads being moved to the consolidated board BUT NO sticky on why this is happening - if intent is to move discussion to the Consolidated for new threads than sticky this in the forum! Right now it seems hap-hazard.

flg8rmatt Mar 22, 2012 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by FWAAA (Post 18252422)
There's no need to do away with the sub-fora; IMO, keeping them would make searching easier than if they were somehow combined into one mega-forum. At the same time, there's no need to start new threads in the sub-fora.

The forums (or sub-forums in this case) can be locked to prevent further posts without losing any posts or preventing them from being searched. It's pretty simple (see the USAirways forum).

I agree with the sentiment...no need for posts in these sub-forums anymore.

exerda Mar 22, 2012 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by flg8rmatt (Post 18253175)
I agree with the sentiment...no need for posts in these sub-forums anymore.

I disagree; there are plenty of CO-specific and UA-specific issues still outstanding which have open threads in the sub-fora (and which will inevitably be lost in the consolidated forum's blizzard of "Integration Issue #123456" threads). I could see (soon) stopping the posting of new threads, perhaps, but not the cessation of all posts.

It will also take time for the moderators to move over appropriate threads to the consolidated forum.

Thunderroad Mar 22, 2012 4:15 pm

+1

hobo13 Mar 22, 2012 4:37 pm

This forum exists as a place for PMUA flyers to conduct discussions regarding this disaster of a merger without being told how wrong we are by PMCO-types.

(At least that's what I wish it was for!)

star_world Mar 22, 2012 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by hobo13 (Post 18253805)
This forum exists as a place for PMUA flyers to conduct discussions regarding this disaster of a merger without being told how wrong we are by PMCO-types.

(At least that's what I wish it was for!)

As a very frequent PMUA flyer - you're wrong ;)

United also thinks you're wrong by the way - http://hub.united.com/en-us/News/Com...em-update.aspx - the word "disaster" is nowhere to be found.

StingWest Mar 22, 2012 6:10 pm

I guess, but I think it's high time to get rid of these sub-forums.

AGREE!

MODS: One idea would be to simply move any threads that have had activity in the last couple weeks to the Consolidated thread, and delete any other threads in the sub forums? It's a whole new world out there - let's start fresh!

Also, maybe a reminder should be posted as a sticky to remind people to change their bookmarks to the consolidated forum rather than this one.

hobo13 Mar 22, 2012 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by star_world (Post 18254145)
As a very frequent PMUA flyer - you're wrong ;)

United also thinks you're wrong by the way - http://hub.united.com/en-us/News/Com...em-update.aspx - the word "disaster" is nowhere to be found.

Thanks for continuing to prove my point, one post at a time.

youreadyfreddie Mar 22, 2012 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by malgudi (Post 18251970)
Just curious ... since the merger has been completed. What is the point of posting here (instead of the other Consolidated Forum?) :confused:

What forum? ;)