Wiki Posts
Search

UA: Blame the weather and don't complain

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2012, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

UA: Blame the weather and don't complain

Complaining could get you arrested

On Monday, Rahsaan Johnson, a United spokesman, cited the effects of high winds on Friday night and said weather problems had caused the cancellation of Flight 3876 on Saturday. But, according to FlightAware.com, United canceled only nine of its 947 flights on Saturday. Both the Dulles and Binghamton airports reported clear weather, and the Federal Aviation Administration reported no significant flight delays anywhere in the country on Saturday night.

Frustrated, she said she told the United agent at the service counter: “Tuesday is not acceptable. This is not our problem, it’s United’s. But he told me, ‘Listen, if you don’t stop complaining I could call the police and have you arrested, because I feel insulted.’ ”

She said she then deferred to her husband, who sympathized with the agent, telling him how hard his job must be. “That’s probably why the man put us on a flight the next morning,” Ms. Petkov said. “I don’t think he would have given it to me.”

Last edited by malgudi; Feb 28, 2012 at 1:18 pm
Old Feb 28, 2012, 1:36 pm

Programs: Avis Preferred, Hertz #1 Gold, National Exective, United Premier Silver
I hate news writers who write stories like this, who know nothing about what they are writing.

Flight Aware's cancelled flights tool only shows the operating carrier, not marketing carrier. Grr.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Threatening to have them arrested is unreasonable no matter what the cause of the delay.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 9:10 pm

Programs: UA PM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold
I'm confused after reading the article. They say only 9 flights were cancelled on Saturday, yet people waited two hours in line to rebook......for a 34 person flight.....something doesn't jive.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 10:16 pm

This story is not primarily about the writers 82 year old mother-in-law, who had a canceled flight, but rather goes on to report how he heard a story from another passenger who told him a story about how her and her husband were important because he was a doctor. What ever was told to the reporter by MRS. DOCTOR is second hand information about her being threatened to be arrested by the police if she didn't pipe down.
__________________________________________________ _______
The other day I was walking down the street and a guy comes up to me and tells me that he almost got arrested because some lady said he was being rude to the cake maker @ Costco. I immediately reported it to my local newspaper who took my word that Costco employee's were all bad people, especially the chick in the bakery department, and since everyone knows it must be true, the editor wasn't required to take the initiative to verify anything.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 10:36 am

The ground staff can be rude sometimes, but in the only case I ever saw where someone threatened to call the police, it seemed entirely appropriate - the passenger was loud, abusive, was warned to calm down several times, etc. When he boarded, someone sitting near me said, "someone call the air marshall". The particular gate agent involved was a lot more patient than I would have been.

In the air, that's a different story - complaining there strikes me as extremely unwise.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.