Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Pursuing AA status specifically for status match to UA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2012, 12:20 am
Original Poster

Location: New Orleans on a sabattical. My roots are in Los Angeles.
Programs: Chase Palladium, AMEX Plat, UA Plat, AA EXP, HH/SPG G, PC plat

Hi there.

AA is offering Platinum Executive - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ase-miles.html - for 25k flown miles. I'm UA Premier; and was considering flying on AA to earn the PE; and then transfer back to United mid-2012 to get Status Matched until 2014. (I assume that'd match me to UA Premier Plat) ... Plus I'd have status on AA to use all my mileage well over there.

Anyone else done something like this?
Old Feb 10, 2012, 12:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Honestly, AA EXP is far superior to United 1K, let alone Platinum. Looking back at last year, I'd argue that I had a better experience as an AA PLT worknig my way up the ranks than as a United 1P or 1K.

I'm 7/7 for AA upgrades this year as an EXP and expect to maintain that. As a 1P/Plat/1K last year, my upgrade success rate was order 60%.

If it makes sense to fly 25k miles on AA for this challenge, it probably would make sense shifting your travel patterns to AA (esp. if you're only a 2P now on UA).
Old Feb 10, 2012, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AA is in bankruptcy and it probably will end up merging with US.
EXP is nice if you can use it but AA network has huge gaps. On the west coast (where OP has "roots") AA is not competitive at all; going to Asia, India, Russia - you'll have hard time with AA. But that's drifting OT here...

OP, the promo is supposedly targeted - do you really want to experiment there?
Old Feb 10, 2012, 1:32 pm

Programs: CO Plat
The challenge may be flying 25K miles in 90 days on AA and then flying another 25K on UA to match the status.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 7:48 pm
Original Poster

Location: New Orleans on a sabattical. My roots are in Los Angeles.
Programs: Chase Palladium, AMEX Plat, UA Plat, AA EXP, HH/SPG G, PC plat
And by the time I do that, I could have flown another 50k on UA and actually obtained Platinum.

Yeah, I'll pass. Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.