FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger-504/)
-   -   Dear United: Start enforcing friggin carry-on bag limits! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger/1310399-dear-united-start-enforcing-friggin-carry-bag-limits.html)

fastair Feb 6, 12 12:12 am

Originally Posted by 130 fsw (Post 17959153)
What ever happened to the sizers at security? It must have been pre-2001. They were metal gates that limited the size of entry into the xray to the 2 short axes of the gate sizer. If your bag didn't fit it was Do Not Pass Go, return to check in counter. Didn't address the skinny 24 inch bags but at least keeps off the duffels and overstuffed rollaboards too fat to fit into any bin.

Which seem to always be carried by someone under 5ft6in who can't reach the overhead :rolleyes:

UA was sued (I actualy think that CO might have been the one) as checkpoints are "common use" meaning that even if a carrier has all the gates in a terminal, it may be an access point where a passenger can enter thru to transit to another terminal, like entering thru term 1 at ORD and walking over to terminal 2 after security.) This was back when the airlines controlled the checkopints (pre-tsa.) Different airlines have differend size limitations. I know that B6 sizewise on some aircraft is bigger than many other carriers size wise.

I don't think the suit had any monitary damages, just a removal of them was required. Plus they only measured 2 dimesnions. A 20 foot long item would fit under them as long as the other 2 dimensions were of standard size.

N1120A Feb 6, 12 12:51 am

Again, I'm still not seeing this. Oversized - absolutely. Putting bags in the overhead 10 rows ahead of the actual row - totally. Putting small stuff in the overheads when not in bulkheads - Definitely see that and people in the forward cabin are the most guilty. If anything, however, FAs and GAs themselves don't know the rules relating to carry-ons and try to restrict what they are not supposed to. Also, its impossible to get away with more than 1+1 if the third bag is of a noticeable size.

Originally Posted by fastair (Post 17959838)
UA was sued (I actualy think that CO might have been the one) as checkpoints are "common use" meaning that even if a carrier has all the gates in a terminal, it may be an access point where a passenger can enter thru to transit to another terminal, like entering thru term 1 at ORD and walking over to terminal 2 after security.) This was back when the airlines controlled the checkopints (pre-tsa.) Different airlines have differend size limitations. I know that B6 sizewise on some aircraft is bigger than many other carriers size wise.

I don't think the suit had any monitary damages, just a removal of them was required. Plus they only measured 2 dimesnions. A 20 foot long item would fit under them as long as the other 2 dimensions were of standard size.

I know CO was involved in that suit. I'm not sure if they did the suing or were the ones sued. And you are correct that there weren't monetary damages. It was a suit in equity.

aacharya Feb 6, 12 8:28 am

Originally Posted by N1120A (Post 17959934)
Again, I'm still not seeing this. Oversized - absolutely. Putting bags in the overhead 10 rows ahead of the actual row - totally. Putting small stuff in the overheads when not in bulkheads - Definitely see that and people in the forward cabin are the most guilty. If anything, however, FAs and GAs themselves don't know the rules relating to carry-ons and try to restrict what they are not supposed to. Also, its impossible to get away with more than 1+1 if the third bag is of a noticeable size.

I know CO was involved in that suit. I'm not sure if they did the suing or were the ones sued. And you are correct that there weren't monetary damages. It was a suit in equity.

They were suing.

http://avstop.com/news/baggage.html

NickP 1K Feb 6, 12 9:08 am

Sizer needs to change....

The sizers "SUCK" I would prefer a sizer that for sure ensures a bag with wheels can go WHEELS first.

I've got a Samsonite all wheel rotating bag that I can fit on INTRA-Asia flights by ANA and Asiana - this bag takes up so little room in the overhead. I can get away for 1 week with this bag if I have hotel laundry.

To be honest my full size carry on Tumi does NOT fit wheels first except on larger bins. After the guilt of taking up most of a bin (imagine an Elite that feels guilty) I stopped using that bag ; use an even larger Tumi and just check it or use the Samsonite one (which was a freebie from Cathay Pacific when they destroyed an earlier older Tumi bag)

UA enforce this: If it CAN'T go into the overhead WHEELS first and allow the bin to close FORCE people to check it; NO EXCEPTIONS on wheeled luggage. Hand out "Yellow Cards" to people in 2012 explaining in 2013 your bag will have to be gate checked and if you are asked to gate check the bag more than 2 times the 3rd time onward you will be asked to pay for the gate check!

Agree on earlier statements; MA and PA Kettle are not the problem here; they are nuts on ensuring their bags fit wheels first or they check luggage even if they have to pay. The elites and biz travelers are the worst abusers. How about UA gives 1000 bonus miles when elites check bags; PAY for it out the revenue they get on people having to pay for bags... If I'm not in a rush I would more so check bags.

UA DO This: You have bag revenue now: GUARANTEE 15 min bag delivery in ALL stations or you give 2500 bonus miles.

fastair Feb 6, 12 9:18 am

Originally Posted by NickP 1K (Post 17961453)
UA DO This: You have bag revenue now: GUARANTEE 15 min bag delivery in ALL stations or you give 2500 bonus miles.

In your game, would people who do not pay for bags also get this bonus, or only those that pay for bags? If the former, then I can see alot of people with free baggage checking the max of empty boxes just for the opportunity to get something for nothing. It is an interesting concept though.

drewguy Feb 6, 12 9:22 am

Originally Posted by chollie (Post 17951118)
Why do people keep focusing on the 'Kettles' and the 'Y' pax and the baggage fees?

Some of the worst abusers are elite pax and FC pax (not to mention the occasional FAs who take up an entire FC bin).

+1. For every kettle avoiding a checked bag fee, there's an elite avoiding a baggage claim wait. (And I suspect a lot of kettles check because they are on vacation for a longer time and need a bag that definitely won't fit overhead, so pay the fee).

cyclogenesis Feb 6, 12 9:26 am

A thread dear to my heart.. Mainly as I was a Qantas flyer before moving to the US..

Qantas: Go to the lounge and check in (no need for BP @ security... you can use a machine at the lounge). Have a beer and chill until flight is called (my god you say: flight announcements in the lounge?????) be just about the last to board the plane and have plenty of room... Why spend more time on the plane than is needed?

United/American: Battle through security, go to lounge (if you can call it that) then keep watching monitors, checking united.com and flight aware so you know what is happening with your flight.. and make darn sure you are boarding with your status level otherwise your carry on and $$$ worth of work owned equipment is far from your sight... and in then end you spend about 30 minutes more on a plane going nowhere...

Difference: Exactly what has been said here: Speed of bag deliver and cost to check baggage...

fastair Feb 6, 12 9:42 am

Originally Posted by cyclogenesis (Post 17961569)
A thread dear to my heart.. Mainly as I was a Qantas flyer before moving to the US..

Qantas: Go to the lounge and check in (no need for BP @ security... you can use a machine at the lounge). Have a beer and chill until flight is called (my god you say: flight announcements in the lounge?????) be just about the last to board the plane and have plenty of room... Why spend more time on the plane than is needed?

United/American: Battle through security, go to lounge (if you can call it that) then keep watching monitors, checking united.com and flight aware so you know what is happening with your flight.. and make darn sure you are boarding with your status level otherwise your carry on and $$$ worth of work owned equipment is far from your sight... and in then end you spend about 30 minutes more on a plane going nowhere...

Difference: Exactly what has been said here: Speed of bag deliver and cost to check baggage...

Meat of the story, Qantas likes the bags "down under"! :)

mike313 Feb 6, 12 10:05 am

Two thoughts:

1. A few years back at security (in Chicago at least) on the x-ray machine entry belt was a frame that the baggage had to pass through to get into the machine. This helped minimize the size of baggage that could be carried on board;

2. Last November in South Africa I could not get to the check-in desk without first having my bags weighed. If the bag was over 7kg it was labeled as such and had to be checked in. And at the gate was a 2nd checker with a mobile scale just to be sure you were not cheating - and they weighed all the carry on again. If the bag was over the 7kg, they took the bag from you!

QBK Feb 6, 12 10:13 am

Here's a proposal.

*** Every passenger who boards with nothing more than 1 personal item (laptop backpack or smaller -- have a special sizer at the gate if necessary to test it [1]) gets an instant reward of 500 RDMs. ***

I came up with this because, reading through this thread, I came to realize that on my longer business trips (e.g., 3 weeks international) I am part of the problem. I'm the guy who -- while technically obeying all the regulations -- has a 22" rollaboard and a laptop backpack in the overhead. Why? Because I can (within the letter of the rules), and because I do not want to compromise my legroom by stashing my packpack under the seat in front of me, and because I do not want to spend time retrieving (or losing) my checked bag.

Are those things critical? Not usually. But like many FTers, I'm addicted to the game of getting as much as I can (miles, money, perks), and it's very hard to voluntarily give up a perk (even if it's just a minor convenience).

But I'm not rational about this -- I'll spend 90 minutes on the internet scheming to get an extra 1000 miles. It's a game. Which is why I love AS's baggage policy. Bag comes in 19 minutes? Okay, cool. Bag comes in 25 minutes? Awesome! -- I win 2000 miles!

So if UA offered me a token reward -- say, 500 miles, which costs them about $2.50 -- to skip the carryon, I'd be excited about it. Then it becomes a game, where I'm trying to get the prize.

And, no, that wouldn't motivate everybody -- certainly not the rational business traveler who needs her stuff at the destination, and realizes that 500 miles is chicken change. But I'll bet it would motivate enough people to free up all the overhead bin space we need. And it's much friendlier to give a token reward for extra-good behavior than to impose a penalty for bad behavior.

[1] I admit that there's a weak point here: there's no way the GA can afford to be sizing bags at boarding time in order to tell whether each pax "deserves" the bonus. This needs some thought.

chollie Feb 6, 12 10:32 am

Originally Posted by fastair (Post 17961526)
In your game, would people who do not pay for bags also get this bonus, or only those that pay for bags? If the former, then I can see alot of people with free baggage checking the max of empty boxes just for the opportunity to get something for nothing. It is an interesting concept though.

AS already has something similar to this and, in my limited experience, it's working well (meaning my bag has been there in 20 minutes).

From the AS website: If your baggage is not at baggage claim within 20 minutes of your plane parking at the gate, you're entitled to a $20 Discount Code for use on a future Alaska Airlines flight or 2,000 Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan bonus miles.

If we don't meet our 20 minute guarantee, simply see an Alaska Airlines Customer Service Agent within 2 hours of your flight's arrival for your voucher."

aacharya Feb 6, 12 11:11 am

Originally Posted by drewguy (Post 17961548)
+1. For every kettle avoiding a checked bag fee, there's an elite avoiding a baggage claim wait. (And I suspect a lot of kettles check because they are on vacation for a longer time and need a bag that definitely won't fit overhead, so pay the fee).

I don't agree. Far fewer elites abusing this versus kettles. Yes, I do see elites with two bags, but they're usually sitting in F and not impacting the rest of the plane. As for kettles, you see massive backpacks and bags that can barely be lifted all the time.

alpinesta Feb 6, 12 11:14 am

Mar. 3 marks date of more carry on bags

Those with Silver status lose the ability to check 2 bags free on Mar. 3. Being saavy flyers, most will know the game and choose to mimic the F flyers who carry everything on.

We've gladly checked our bags in the past and have never had any issues with waiting or losing anything. By the time we make a pit stop and get to the carousel, our bags our there.

Now we'll join the overhead bin wars to save the bagagge fees.

Travelin Man 069 Feb 6, 12 11:20 am

This has really been bothering me lately. I often fly hub to hub and always check my main bag. I have one back pack I bring as carry on (computer, camera, etc) and many times as of late I have a hard time even finding space for this without walking several isles back which is a pain come time to de-plane. What bothers me most is the number of carry ons people bring (mostly Elites). We all know we are supposed to put one item in the overhead and the other near your feet but I don't see too many actually doing this with their second item.

Another peeve are the ones who clog up the isle during boarding cramming, forcing, slamming to get their large bags in. I saw a UA crew member board very late with 3 bags last week (IAH-DEN) and did this (assuming he was heading back home). He was being ridiculously rough - when a passenger politely questioned him the agent got really nasty with him and of course the FA came and stood up for her fellow agent - I was embarrassed for the passenger who was completely in the right...

I try not to participate in the Elite boarding "Rugby Scrum" but it seems like that may be the only way to go.

thehoax Feb 6, 12 11:24 am

Originally Posted by Silver Fox (Post 17950918)
Agree. It is beyond belief ridiculous the sense of entitlement that some have to bring on stuff that would not even fit in two sizers.

Totally agree. Please feel free to roll that bag down the isle back to your seat in rom 38 and smack every passenger along the way.