Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Dear United: Start enforcing friggin carry-on bag limits!

Dear United: Start enforcing friggin carry-on bag limits!

Old Feb 5, 12, 2:01 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by Cantheplanegofaster? View Post
And by the way, the CoC is not as binding as you would like to suggest as there are many parts of it that if challenged in the courts would likely not survive. Exactly how many passengers are present during CoC debates and approval? It's a one-sided document that probably 0.00000001% of pax even know exists let alone know the details of what is in it.
Really, 1 out of 100 million people know it exists? In 2010, 632 million people flew in the US, with many of them repeat. Assuming that each was only a 1 time flyer, you are stating that less than 7 people on all domestic flights of all carriers in 2010 have heard of a contract of carriage? Me thinks your math is off.
It is binding unless overturned by a court or a senior officer of, so it holds more weight than an opinion or an idea of how an individual thinks things should be, or wishes them to be.
In the abscence of a DoT (or other regulatory body) regulation, it is the rules that govern your travel, and a good reference for many questions that arise about rights granted to a ticket holder.

Last edited by fastair; Feb 5, 12 at 2:07 am
Old Feb 5, 12, 2:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: 1K, *G for "life", Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Just enforce the rules. How hard is that ?
Old Feb 5, 12, 2:15 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1K, Marriott Plat Premier
Originally Posted by Silver Fox View Post
+1

The baggage issue impacts the entire boarding process, seating, deplaning, and pushing back on-time so it goes beyond simply who gets to throw their bag in the OH bin.
Old Feb 5, 12, 9:33 am

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
Originally Posted by Silver Fox View Post
===================
It can be hard.
I tried to do that with Mr. Million Miler at the ticket counter recently -- refused to check his oversized/overstuffed "this IS a carryon!!!!" and he called me a $#@! rearend orifice. Barged down to the gate -- Now did he really think I wasn't going to call the gate and give them a heads-up ??
They gate-checked it !! So it's not just "us".
Old Feb 5, 12, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA 1.75MM EXP EMD, UA 1.31MM LT *G, DL SM, AS MVPG 75K, Marriott LT PLT(PP)/ICH AMB PLT/Hertz PC
Selfishness

This has driven me nuts when people abuse the overhead space by squeezing their jackets, bass, and their mini backpacks/LV bags. It's no doubt carry-on limit has to be enforced, but what frustrated me the most are the following:

1. I saw a bass in FC overhead bin. That took up the entire row of overhead bin. I had to call the FA up to get a rid of the bass.

2. I always saw people (Even in FC or elites) who boarded early put all their stuff on the overhead bin above row 1/2. In AA, it's 3/4. I am getting sick of having to move my carry-on at the back of FC or even in Y cabin.
Old Feb 5, 12, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA:1K 0.95MM – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
Originally Posted by Paulakers2010 View Post
I saw a bass in FC overhead bin.

You mean a bass guitar?
Old Feb 5, 12, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by TomA View Post
You mean a bass guitar?
Probably just a very lucky fisherman.
Old Feb 5, 12, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA 1.75MM EXP EMD, UA 1.31MM LT *G, DL SM, AS MVPG 75K, Marriott LT PLT(PP)/ICH AMB PLT/Hertz PC
Originally Posted by chollie View Post
Probably just a very lucky fisherman.
Well I did have see bass the other day when I was flying ORD-NRT...

Bass Guitar, that is.
Old Feb 5, 12, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I believe that the bag fees have definitely made the carry on problem worse, but there is no way that you can point the finger at non-elites, or 'kettles' as some of you like to say.

I dont fly every week, but when I do fly, I have noticed that almost everybody in the Elite Access scrum, and particularly the F passengers, either have 2 rollerboards or one giant one, with more cargo stacked on top. If I am last in the F cabin when going from hub to hub, I'd be lucky to get space for a shaving kit in the F overhead.

I'm sorry to say this, but I think that those of us in F have been conditioned to disregard rules and do whatever we want. For us, the thought of having to wait 15 minutes for a checked bag is unthinkable, while rest of the world works this time into their travel itinerary.
Old Feb 5, 12, 3:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by southtahoe View Post
I'm sorry to say this, but I think that those of us in F have been conditioned to disregard rules and do whatever we want. For us, the thought of having to wait 15 minutes for a checked bag is unthinkable, while rest of the world works this time into their travel itinerary.
LOL, if United could deliver bags in 15 minutes at IAD, I'd check my bags with pleasure.
Old Feb 5, 12, 6:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by halls120 View Post
LOL, if United could deliver bags in 15 minutes at IAD, I'd check my bags with pleasure.
Oh yeah? Well...

Well in IAD there's...

uh....

Touche

(but you get the idea)
Old Feb 5, 12, 8:09 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Starwood, Priceline
I have seen two fights on two recent flights

Originally Posted by schley View Post
Near fights? Seriously? Perhaps are you being overly dramatic as people who disagree aren't always headed to fisticuffs.

one where a really nasty guy was almost thrown off the plane, one where a young woman stood in the jetway screaming when the FA told her there was no room for her rollaboard.
Old Feb 5, 12, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
3. Solution lies in enforcing the sizer rules. Over-sized bags get gate-checked (no matter how empty the flight). And, gate-checked bags go to baggage office, not carousel, at final destination. The bag fee + a penalty (no freebies for status, cc holders and the like) is assessed at the baggage office so that the GA's don't stand around delaying the flight. Let those who break the rules wait for 90 mins. at destination to pay triple the bag fee.
I like the idea except it should be based on the bins. If it fits the bin properly it's fine regardless of the sizer.

Originally Posted by UA-NYC View Post
IMO the problem often isn't carryons bigger than 45 linear inches - it's that people can't be bothered to put their 2nd bag in the underseat storage in front of them. Your laptop bag / backpack will fit just find there, and you can even move it behind your legs once you take off to get your full legroom back
Definitely. I think most of the problem would disappear if this were enforced.

Originally Posted by jamesdenver View Post
Question: Is it right to shift someone's oversize bag from lengthwise to "wheels out" position, knowing full well the bin won't close and it will have to be removed after others use the remaining space with their "wheels out" positioned bags.

Or is that just being passive aggressive?

Just curious. I'm asking for a friend. Really.
Assuming it's a plane with reasonable-sized bins that's just bringing an oversize bag to the FA's attention. (There used to be some birds here, I forget the type, that wouldn't fit a normal rollaboard properly. I haven't seen them in years, though.)

Last edited by iluv2fly; Feb 6, 12 at 12:53 am Reason: merge
Old Feb 5, 12, 9:54 pm

Programs: UA unwanted $20K 1K, 2.25MM; AA ExecPlat 1.2MM
What ever happened to the sizers at security? It must have been pre-2001. They were metal gates that limited the size of entry into the xray to the 2 short axes of the gate sizer. If your bag didn't fit it was Do Not Pass Go, return to check in counter. Didn't address the skinny 24 inch bags but at least keeps off the duffels and overstuffed rollaboards too fat to fit into any bin.

Which seem to always be carried by someone under 5ft6in who can't reach the overhead
Old Feb 5, 12, 10:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA EXP, Marriott Plat
It's simple, get my checked bags to the carousel in less than 15 min and I'll follow the carryon rules. Otherwise, I will do all I can to avoid checking bags. Try getting a bag at IAD in less than an hour...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: