FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger-504/)
-   -   Dear United: Start enforcing friggin carry-on bag limits! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger/1310399-dear-united-start-enforcing-friggin-carry-bag-limits.html)

TomA Feb 8, 2012 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel (Post 17978080)
No. It's of fairly recent manufacture. I find I'm wrong on the weight, though, it's only 12 pounds.

Does it have a small compartment for storing your fishing weights? :p

Kidding. But just FYI, PC Magazine has these laptop weight categories:

6 lbs and up (409)
Less than 6 lbs (796)
Less than 5 lbs (520)
Less than 4 lbs (355)
Less than 3 lbs (220)
Less than 2 lbs (84)

So you are a bit of an outlier...

Originally Posted by Rpcfly (Post 17966791)

Originally Posted by fastair (Post 17966623)
a solid meal was served if you bought F and 747s had bars in them.

Now that is definitely something I'd like to see back on board :D

I could make do with just...

Originally Posted by fastair (Post 17966623)
747s had bars in them.

Traveladdict69 Feb 8, 2012 5:02 pm

FF

Originally Posted by jayhawk (Post 17951034)
I could not agree with you on another thread, but you have it right on this issue. The biggest abusers seems to be those sitting in FC. Checking for luggage size is so rare that it is unfair. Do it consistently and the rules will be followed.

It is experienced frequent flyers that are the most abusive. They think they are being smart by bringing medium-sized wheeled suitcases on the plane as "carry-on." I have been traveling for years with a small backpack for carry-on, and now I also have a laptop case. It irks me to see people pulling wheeled luggage down the aisle, and having a huge duffel bag or two slung on their shoulders besides! ...? I agree, airlines like UA would rather piss on a pax who is doing nothing wrong than do anything about pax who bring on enough carry on to weight down a donkey.

chollie Feb 8, 2012 5:24 pm

+1

It isn't just about baggage fees or even mostly about baggage fees, or we wouldn't see so many offenders boarding in F or the first (elite) boarding group.

There's much more of it in Y because 1) elites fly in Y, too and 2) there's more full flights and 3) waits for baggage are getting ridiculous and it's impossible to secure checked bags.

StingWest Feb 8, 2012 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by Traveladdict69 (Post 17978930)
It irks me to see people pulling wheeled luggage down the aisle, and having a huge duffel bag or two slung on their shoulders besides! ...? .

Yes, agree, but it's not just the premium flyers that you accurately describe, it's occurs to some extent with all types of flyers.

It would be nice to have reasonable limits (and baggage "sizers") that more accurately reflect what can fit wheels first on most mainline aircraft (except the 767). Once this was done, I would say enforce the rules strictly, including for premium flyers. My 22" roller bag is actually 23" long and can be stuffed to about 10.5" thick. It fits easily in the overhead, wheels first (except on the 767). The sizer is just over 9" wide however, but luckily no one has ever asked me to try it (I did it surreptitiously)

In the meantime, why can't airport security reject the obviously oversized bags at the source, rather than inconveniencing everyone downstream.

chollie Feb 8, 2012 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by StingWest (Post 17979131)
Yes, agree, but it's not just the premium flyers that you accurately describe, it's occurs to some extent with all types of flyers.

It would be nice to have reasonable limits (and baggage "sizers") that more accurately reflect what can fit wheels first on most mainline aircraft (except the 767). Once this was done, I would say enforce the rules strictly, including for premium flyers. My 22" roller bag is actually 23" long and can be stuffed to about 10.5" thick. It fits easily in the overhead, wheels first (except on the 767). The sizer is just over 9" wide however, but luckily no one has ever asked me to try it (I did it surreptitiously)

In the meantime, why can't airport security reject the obviously oversized bags at the source, rather than inconveniencing everyone downstream.

First, 'airport security' can't even do their own job right.

Second, it is not TSA's responsibility to do the airline's job on the taxpayer's dime.

Third...would you rather gate-check your admittedly over-sized when stuffed bag or be turned back after waiting through the line at security by TSA, so you can return to the counter, wait in line, and check your bag?

As I posted elsewhere, I fly quite a bit, wide variety of times (peak and off-peak), front and back cabins, elite-heavy and non-elite-heavy routes. I'm not seeing this as a huge problem - in fact, I have yet to see a flight take off late because of problems with carry-on bags. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, I'm just saying I question how 'pervasive' it really is.

The elites will squeal the loudest if UA does decide to take a really aggressive approach to carry-ons, both those in the front cabin and those in the back.

Perhaps UA should institute a fee for carry-on bags? A fee that is larger than the fee for checked bags. That would certainly encourage folks to check more bags.

Of course, elites would expect to be exempt from the fee...

sim510 Feb 8, 2012 6:27 pm

I'd be curious to know what happened with a bag that somebody thought they would take on board a flight I was taking today. The bag was most definitely the size to be CHECKED, not carried on. The GA announced the size limits and offered to check bags before boarding, since the flight would be full. I was sitting in first class (and had checked my bag, so only had a small bag with me) and I boarded when first class was called, so I didn't get to see what happened. Really people.... a 25-26" suitcase is NOT going to fit in the overhead bin! I can't help but wonder how this person got through security without someone commenting on the size of the bag! I'm surprised it fit in the scanner, other than it was not over-stuffed.

With that in mind, what if the scanner refused to accept bags that were too fat, too full, too wide, and then the traveller would know immediately that their bag was too big. Just a thought.

WineCountryUA Feb 8, 2012 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by sim510 (Post 17979345)
.... With that in mind, what if the scanner refused to accept bags that were too fat, too full, too wide, and then the traveller would know immediately that their bag was too big. Just a thought.

been there, done that (but skipped on the t-shirt)
bag scanners use to have templates a number of years back
- only checks two dimensions
- does not check length
- different airlines have different dimensions (which do you use at the scanner station?)

the templates were dropped since they did not work.

anc-ord772 Feb 8, 2012 6:53 pm

Since I'm usually at the front of the pack, due to my love of bulkheads, I only get to watch other elite behavour when the GA interjects. I'll say this, elites also do not take the high road when stopped. Lack of respect is not an elite/non elite divide.

That being said, I've seen some crazy stuff these days. 26", really? I've also seen GAs single out a passenger. It's not fun.

JeffK69 Feb 8, 2012 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by chollie (Post 17979325)
First, 'airport security' can't even do their own job right.

Second, it is not TSA's responsibility to do the airline's job on the taxpayer's dime.

Third...would you rather gate-check your admittedly over-sized when stuffed bag or be turned back after waiting through the line at security by TSA, so you can return to the counter, wait in line, and check your bag?

As I posted elsewhere, I fly quite a bit, wide variety of times (peak and off-peak), front and back cabins, elite-heavy and non-elite-heavy routes. I'm not seeing this as a huge problem - in fact, I have yet to see a flight take off late because of problems with carry-on bags. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, I'm just saying I question how 'pervasive' it really is.

The elites will squeal the loudest if UA does decide to take a really aggressive approach to carry-ons, both those in the front cabin and those in the back.

Perhaps UA should institute a fee for carry-on bags? A fee that is larger than the fee for checked bags. That would certainly encourage folks to check more bags.

now your talking, that is the idea. Charge to carry on, and make it steep!

chollie Feb 8, 2012 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by sim510 (Post 17979345)
With that in mind, what if the scanner refused to accept bags that were too fat, too full, too wide, and then the traveller would know immediately that their bag was too big. Just a thought.

NO. Absolutely not.

First, TSA can't even do the job it is tasked with well.

Second, it is not the taxpayer's responsibility to pay for airline responsibilities.

IF (and I think a lot of this is blown out of proportion) it is genuinely a problem (ie, flights missing on-time departures because of bags), the airlines will step up and handle it. Clearly, in spite of all the grumbling, the airlines are not seeing significant numbers of delayed departures due to carry-on issues, in spite of what pax may think.

Loren Pechtel Feb 8, 2012 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by TomA (Post 17978341)
Does it have a small compartment for storing your fishing weights? :p

Kidding. But just FYI, PC Magazine has these laptop weight categories:

6 lbs and up (409)
Less than 6 lbs (796)
Less than 5 lbs (520)
Less than 4 lbs (355)
Less than 3 lbs (220)
Less than 2 lbs (84)

So you are a bit of an outlier...

I know. Few people are willing to trade the extra weight for the extra horsepower it gives. It's a desktop-replacement class machine, something normally only used by gamers and those of us who run very CPU-heavy tasks such as modern development environments. I'd much prefer to lug a heavy machine than keep waiting for it while I'm trying to type stuff.

fastair Feb 9, 2012 12:23 am

Originally Posted by chollie (Post 17979325)

Nope, UA has already stood before either the DoT or congrss (I forget which) and stated that they wouldn't do it. When the airline spends millions lobbying the Fed, one of the few times they testify before them saying you won't do something, and then do it, looks very bad. I think they even signed some sort of promise (short of a contract or a consent decree, but it was signed.)

Ari Feb 9, 2012 1:32 am

The quantity of cataclysmicly stupid ideas expressed in this thread is astounding.

TomA Feb 10, 2012 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by chollie (Post 17979766)
IF (and I think a lot of this is blown out of proportion)

Me too.

130 fsw Feb 11, 2012 1:38 am

Originally Posted by TomA (Post 17978341)

I could make do with just... [a bar on a 747]

Two words for you: Virgin Atlantic

misdirected baggage Feb 15, 2012 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by Ari (Post 17980829)
The quantity of cataclysmicly stupid ideas expressed in this thread is astounding.

I agree with Ari. The TSA's job is not to enforce airline baggage policy - they're already whacking up the TSA fee to $5/segment and they're slow enough. The airlines love to blame bag restrictions on the TSA, but we all know that baggage policies originate with the airlines. It also isn't rocket science for GA's to monitor bags as PAX board and to reject oversized ones. If the airline values elites and 1st class PAX then they might be somewhat less restrictive for them. It's hard to believe some of the proposals (including more fees and regulation) in this thread come from frequent fliers. I flew almost 200k last year and witnessed a number of stupid bag episodes. But, so many stupid things happen on aircraft these days that silly bag events are, well...

Oh, and I apologize to the gentleman in 2B on the HNL->DEN flight whose lap I ended up in while trying to lift a (tiny, albeit heavy) carry-on into the overhead... small bag hoisted overhead by a bumbling lady (me).

LEONIDES Jul 20, 2012 11:13 pm

DYNWIA thinks captain is a porter.

Rant on: :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

On my flight tonight, some DYKWIA boarded next to last. Predictably, his bag was way too big to into the bins, which were already stuffed. The FAs told this guy he had to gate-check the bag. This was at the end of boarding, and were about to leave. The Captain was outside of the boarding, talking to the FAs, while this transpired.

So what did this DYKWIA do? He handed the bag to the captain....and told him to check it! What an incredibly rude a-hole!

The FAs took the oversize bag from the jerk, and gate-checked it for him. What a complete sphincter.

Seriously, folks......A captain is not a porter. Similarly, the porter who checks your bag at the curb? He doesn't fly the airplane. So take your bag to the porter - the real one - and check it. And don't give it to the airplane captain. He has much more important things to do - like fly the plane, and make sure we all get there safely.

Rant off. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: