Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

First Time on UA in 6 years, hopefully never again!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Time on UA in 6 years, hopefully never again!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2012, 4:06 pm

Programs: Something lifetime here and there
Originally Posted by ech207

I boarded very early and actually waited for about 20 minutes before the flight attendant came around with drinks (another dissapointment in my mind, but Iess of an issue). Previously I had tried to get the attention of various crew members but they seemed busy and often rushed by. Thinking they must be really busy, I thought I would just wait until they came by - after all, they are supposed to greet customers, serve drinks, distribute menus, etc. right? As others have noted, of course I did not expect her to drop everything. Nor do I think my wording or tone implied anything like that. At worst, my tone may have been neutral but I tend to smile when I talk to strangers - something UA personnel could learn. As for the rest of the flight the service was neither exceptional nor poor. I would describe it as indifferent. Definitely not "spunky" like others have suggested. More like, when does my shift end!
It sounds like UA in F INTL hasn't changed in the 1.5 years I have flown them. From an expectations standpoint, this is about the level I put mine at with UA, and usually wasn't disappointed nor pleasantly surprised (except the old SIN-HKG-SIN would surpass them).

Guess it is hard for senior citizens to remember people's names all the time
Yeah, this is not CX where they remember your name (in both F and J), or giving you a personalized card in F with the FA's names serving you etc, but again...you have to "level set" your expectations to avoid disappointment. Sorry...

Last edited by iluv2fly; Feb 7, 2012 at 7:39 pm Reason: merge
Old Feb 7, 2012, 8:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM, KF TPPS, SPG PLAT
You're absolutely right about the expectations. On the rerun flight I actually had a better experience from a service perspective, though when I think of it, it was more or less the same standard.

CX on the other hand, I once got a note signed by the entire crew when I was sittin in Y!
Old Feb 8, 2012, 12:15 am

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Thought I would share some thoughts from my recent trip which included PVG - LAX in C and SFO - PVG in F.

PVG - LAX. I has seated in 6B on a 777. Upon boarding the plane I stowed my gear in the overhead but wanted to hang my coat. When the FA showed up with drinks I asked if she could help hang it. Her sarcastic response was "well I can't do anything about it with my hands full of drinks can I?" I wasn't asking her to drop everything and take my coat right that second. I just wanted her to be aware that I needed some help hanging the coat before take off. Why couldn't she just say "I'll be right back for that."

SFO - PVG. Is it just me, or should most of the crew members on this airline consider retirement? I have nothing against older flight crew. In fact, they tend to be a little more experienced on how to fix problems than some of the kids you see on some non-US airlines. In the case of this flight crew, I actually worried that their age and physical condition should disqualify them from the job. For example, when pouring a glass of wine, the attendant's arm was shaking and she had to use two hands! When another attendant dropped a napkin she had just taken from the passenger across the aisle she asked if I could pick it up for her because of her bad back! Makes you wonder what these people would do if there is an emergency.

Finally, what's the deal with the lack of curtains on the plane? I know they instituted this after 9/11 but does this really help for safety? I can understand the barrier that they use for the cockpit, but how does having no curtains help? As someone who was at the WTC on 9/11, I'm all for safety first.
wow...that sounds like absolute torture...did you have to be evacuated by an ambulance from the gate? Honestly I can't believe you actually lived to tell this tale.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 12:30 am

Programs: Freelancer
Originally Posted by andyh64000
wow...that sounds like absolute torture...did you have to be evacuated by an ambulance from the gate? Honestly I can't believe you actually lived to tell this tale.
Agreed that the OP's first post sounds petty until you look at the going price for a seat in the C or F UA cabin.

Premium cabins should be "you get what you pay for." and not "caveat emptor."
Old Feb 8, 2012, 12:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM, KF TPPS, SPG PLAT
There are many experiences that are far far far more unpleasant that sitting in C on a long haul flight.

But you hit the nail on the head, it sucks when you are forking over thousands of dollars for the privilege....

In contrast, I type this as I settle into a short haul CX flight between HKG and TPE. In the past five minutes there have been three crew members who have approached me to 1. take my coat, 2. offer me a glass of champagne and 3. offer me a hot towel. Btw, the crew member who took my jacket was in the middle of helping another crew member to stow a trolley when she stopped what she was doing to assist me when she noticed I was taking off my coat.

I wonder what the difference in compensation between US air crew and their overseas counterparts... The answer may put some people to shame.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 7:48 am

I wonder what the difference in compensation between US air crew and their overseas counterparts... The answer may put some people to shame.
Depending on who you were flying in Asia, they make between 50% to 100% more than I do. So who's put to shame, Smisek? If so, I'd have to agree with you there.

And to those who say that getting a note from the crew is a deciding factor, get real. Do you get a note from the chef in a restaurant? Does the manager meet every person entering a sales store? Does the CEO send you a note every day at the office to tell you how appreciated you are? I mean really.

I agree getting good customer service is a good thing and can help bring back business. However, seems some confuse customer service with "goodies and servitude". Crew members shouldn't have to be buying gifts for passengers for them to feel they had a good flight. Safe travels.

AD
Old Feb 8, 2012, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by aluminumdriver
Depending on who you were flying in Asia, they make between 50% to 100% more than I do. So who's put to shame, Smisek? If so, I'd have to agree with you there.

And to those who say that getting a note from the crew is a deciding factor, get real.
Yeah....CX flight deck crews for senior Captains are making 500K+ depending on the hours worked and even the Middle East Carriers are pushing close to this number now.

On the note thing from the people that are going to be "taking care' of me for a 14 hour flight is not the deciding factor... it is a nice touch...being able to call your FA by name, getting personalized service, developing rapport between you and them etc....

I could care less if the captain comes down to the FC cabin to give a personalized briefing of the flight from ORD-HKG to us and handing out business cards (that has happened for me several times on UA), is it a nice touch? yes...is it a deciding factor? hell no...

But let me list the deciding factors for me in deciding who I fly (not in any order):

1) Price
2) Hard product (seat, IFE, lie flat, privacy, etc)
3) Soft product (food and drink offerings, professionalism and the FA's attitude
4) Convenience. (timing of departure, connections, etc)
5) Business related. (i.e. need to travel with client).

Of these 5 factors, the only time UA wins is IF I compare price of getting a C fare upgraded to F (at around 9K vs Asian carriers a for a F seat would run between 11K and 14K).

So, buying a C fare on CX for 6.5K vs 9K on UA, (plus get the SWU to F...ASSUMING I CLEARS because there is no way I am going to pay for a C seat on UA with 8 across or even that BF thing on CO vs a C seat on SQ, OZ, NH and CX ), so now I am comparing CX C to UA F for a 2.5K premium. Comparing the new CX C seat to UA F is very close.....and the soft product...well....I guess you know where I stand on that....

Look, all I ask from a soft product is be nice to me, and I will be nice to you, keep the bubbly flowing, while I eat and watch a movie before sleeping for several hours.....you don't have to address me by name...but if you do...call me by my first name vs last name (too formal)...but if you are going to address me by name don't get it wrong...which UA seemed to be pros at doing...early and often....

Last edited by iluv2fly; Feb 8, 2012 at 11:24 am Reason: language
Old Feb 8, 2012, 10:38 am

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by DeltaFirst
Personally, I've had better experiences with FAs on UA during long haul flights when I sit in Y. .
Yes, I agree. I think you're seeing the bad effects of a rigid seniority system. As I understand it, FA's with the most time on the job will generally bid for long haul F and C, as I imagine they are seen as less work. Seems to me that it would be much better for management to insist (in negotiations) that newer/fresher FA's get mixed in the C and F service. This might even have the effect of reminding senior FA's that they are there primarily to provide outstanding service, not to pass the hours providing what's minimally acceptable.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 11:31 am

Programs: UA GS
And to those who say that getting a note from the crew is a deciding factor, get real. Do you get a note from the chef in a restaurant? Does the manager meet every person entering a sales store? Does the CEO send you a note every day at the office to tell you how appreciated you are? I mean really.
AD
Getting a note from the crew definitly doesn't define good service. But I bet you that if I visit the same restaurant every other week and each time fork over >20K I'll get the written note
Old Feb 8, 2012, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by goingbananas

Look, all I ask from a soft product is be nice to me, and I will be nice to you, keep the bubbly flowing, while I eat and watch a movie before sleeping for several hours.....you don't have to address me by name...but if you do...call me by my first name vs last name (too formal)...but if you are going to address me by name don't get it wrong...which UA seemed to be pros at doing...early and often....
Completely reasonable. Safe travels.

AD
Old Feb 8, 2012, 4:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by Plane-is-home
Getting a note from the crew definitly doesn't define good service. But I bet you that if I visit the same restaurant every other week and each time fork over >20K I'll get the written note

Well said! And probably your own special table...
Old Feb 8, 2012, 11:48 pm

Completely reasonable. Safe travels.

AD
Thanks...and good luck with your "battles/issues" with $misek.....
Old Feb 9, 2012, 1:23 am

Programs: UA 1MM (now flying with SQ)
Originally Posted by Plane-is-home
I usually get seated ahead of everyone in line and my dessert comp'd.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.