Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA SFO-NRT-TPE - Why?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2012, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mjcewl1284
I wonder if UA keeps the NRT-TPE leg because they used to fly (way back when) a SFO-TPE direct flight.

It also wasn't always a 777 on the TPE leg, as recent as late 2010 (might be wrong on this timeframe) it was still a 744 all the way through.
And if we go back to 2000, we also had AA flying an SJC-TPE route.

It does seem odd that the US carriers have ceded TPE to the Taiwanese airlines. (Especially since neither is in their respective alliances.)
I'm just hoping somebody eventually decided to resume the "early afternoon" nonstop from the Bay Area to Taipei.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime GS 4mm
Originally Posted by L Dude 7
And if we go back to 2000, we also had AA flying an SJC-TPE route.

It does seem odd that the US carriers have ceded TPE to the Taiwanese airlines. (Especially since neither is in their respective alliances.)
I'm just hoping somebody eventually decided to resume the "early afternoon" nonstop from the Bay Area to Taipei.
After EVA is accepted into *A sometime between 2H12-1H13, their nonstop SFO-TPE is available to earn EQM on UA, or redeem using UA miles.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 3:08 pm
uwr

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K
I have just done a couple trips SFO-NRT-TPE on both United and ANA, and am baffled by United. First, the flights on ANA and United leave within an hour of each other. (The "fastest" routing is to "switch" airlines at Tokyo.) However, while ANA has a very nice in flight product in Economy, United is significantly behind. (less room, inferior in flight entertainment, worse food.) Has United just given up on this route? (they do code share the NH flight.) Its even more ironic when the safety messages starts with the talk of spending millions on upgraded interiors... Hmmm...

Even more baffling is the "direct" flight to TPE. Sure it is billed as one flight number, but it is two different airplanes. (The 777 from NRT-TPE was much nicer.) United even sells a direct flight from Dallas to Taipei - an A320 to SFO, 747 to NRT and a 777 to Taipei.

Perhaps this is how they keep running it. You can see the "direct" flight and get the United option - even if adding ANA connections would get you there faster. (It is tough to see any "real" advantage of this flight numbering.)

Or perhaps they get the government traffic that has to fly on American carriers.
Direct flights with plane changes are common on many airlines in the US and abroad. They have been around for decades as a marketing ploy. They might be annoying, but I don't think they are "baffling."

The UA Economy Plus hard product offers superior legroom compared to ANA's economy class, although UA doesn't offer other perks such as an amenity kit, hot towel, or free drinks. Did you fly E+ or E- ?

Though transoceanic travel on UA (or on any American carrier) has some drawbacks, there are legitimate reasons to choose UA economy over ANA economy - E+ seats with more legroom (free for elites), the possibility of an upgrade, credit toward million-mile status, and potentially better service for elites in the case of IRROPS.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by NickP 1K
TSA-HND on NH is operated by secondary NH aircraft (Normally ANA subsidiary Air Japan- NOT Japan Airlines before someone tries to correct me). Their aircraft are not the best config compared to other NH aircraft. However until we see EVA join Star (hopefully) Tokyo Haneda to Taipei Songshan - your only Star Alliance choice will be on ANA with the Air Japan aircraft
I am not too sure that I agree the air craft of Air Japan is that much inferior than NHs; however, you should take note that that the Air Japan's aircraft is better configured in Y than the UAs, other than the UA's E+ seating. If you are not in E+ or qualified to be in E+, in my opinion, Air Japan offers a better alternative in food, service and seating.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 11:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl

Not totally accurate. CI did just join ST.

But yes I agree, while CI/BR are better in terms of FA service, planes and such, their food and beverage is stripped down to bare bones. The food's awful. I've flown the old TPE-(ANC)-JFK once with a client and witnessed an FA turn down a pax when asked for additional food. The plane was about 1/3 full. US carriers could make a dent if they really wanted to imo to/from TPE.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by uwr
Direct flights with plane changes are common on many airlines in the US and abroad. They have been around for decades as a marketing ploy. They might be annoying, but I don't think they are "baffling."

The UA Economy Plus hard product offers superior legroom compared to ANA's economy class, although UA doesn't offer other perks such as an amenity kit, hot towel, or free drinks. Did you fly E+ or E- ?

Though transoceanic travel on UA (or on any American carrier) has some drawbacks, there are legitimate reasons to choose UA economy over ANA economy - E+ seats with more legroom (free for elites), the possibility of an upgrade, credit toward million-mile status, and potentially better service for elites in the case of IRROPS.
UA absolutely does give free drinks on TPAC and intra-Asia flights.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
US carriers could make a dent if they really wanted to imo to/from TPE.
Not sure I agree with this, as the pricing on USA-TPE routes is usually quite low. Witness the withdrawal of other carriers (SQ and soon MH) from the LAX-TPE route.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Not totally accurate. CI did just join ST.

But yes I agree, while CI/BR are better in terms of FA service, planes and such, their food and beverage is stripped down to bare bones. The food's awful. I've flown the old TPE-(ANC)-JFK once with a client and witnessed an FA turn down a pax when asked for additional food. The plane was about 1/3 full. US carriers could make a dent if they really wanted to imo to/from TPE.
I guess I failed at brevity. UA and AA were the ones with nonstop service, and they are not members of alliances with Taiwanese airlines. (Though it sounds like one day EVA may be *A)

I saw a similar food rejection on a UA flight. The guy behind me had ordered a Muslim meal and decided he'd rather have something else. The FA's response: "tough luck, we only have one thing for each passenger." However, UA does have extra chips and snacks available. (And on UA I needed those because the coach meal was not very substantial.) On Eva, I don't recall any issues with the food, but I wasn't paying particular attention either. (2AM departure. Uggh.)

The Taiwanese carriers, however do go all out on cross-straight flights. China Airlines had a full economy meal service on a <500 flight to China. (I was amazed they pulled it off, as there was some turbulence on the flight delaying the FAs.)
Old Feb 5, 2012, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA, AA, SPG
However, UA does have extra chips and snacks available. (And on UA I needed those because the coach meal was not very substantial.)
I must not have known the secret phrase, because all UA offered me in the way of additional snacks was a couple packets of crackers. That was probably the hungriest I've ever been on a flight, and I don't understand why there isn't even food for sale on this route.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 6:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by itstimetofly
As for direct flights, this is a common industry practice. To keep route authorities on the up and up, airlines use the same flight numbers to segments continuing on.
This answer is tantalizingly baffling. What do you mean by "keep route authorities on the up and up"?

(I've also wondered "why do direct flights exist". It sounds like you have a meaningful answer, but I don't quite understand it.)

Last edited by rmbl; Feb 6, 2012 at 6:59 am Reason: typo
Old Feb 6, 2012, 1:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Originally Posted by oldtimer
I am not too sure that I agree the air craft of Air Japan is that much inferior than NHs; however, you should take note that that the Air Japan's aircraft is better configured in Y than the UAs, other than the UA's E+ seating. If you are not in E+ or qualified to be in E+, in my opinion, Air Japan offers a better alternative in food, service and seating.
100% agree that except for the seat Air Japan is MUCH more superior to UA on Japan-Taiwan.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

While I look forward to the day EVA joins *A (gestimate ranges from 4Q12-2014), I got to reach my MM before I can switch. I guess the MM program does keep some customers

TG, NW, UA, SQ and MH have pulled out or about to pull out the nonstop TPAC market out of TPE since the 90s. It used to be CI was the only Taiwanese TPAC carrier in town but many would not fly CI due to its safety record. BR started LAX service in December of 1992 and the rest was history.

For a while, it seems UA kept SFO-TPE going (stopped and resumed) because of cargo. The cargo market out of TW is really bad now. BR/CI relied on that for years but are cutting back. There was a report just 2 days ago that CI is sending 2 74Fs to the AZ deserts for storage and BR is dumping 2 or 3 M11Fs. Now the money maker is passenger routes to Mainland China.

I think once BR is in *A, UA might even stop TPE service and use BR/NH for codeshare or switch to CO 737s. TPE is not a high yield business market - a lot of Taiwanese manufacturing and companies have moved to China.

The Taiwanese carriers have a lot more frequencies to US/Canada and most is nonstop and have better schedule (you can work all day on both ends and hop on the flight). Language, service and food are other factors that most Taiwanese prefer CI and BR - even though they are more expensive. If I am not slave for UA miles/status, I would too

I am surprised that people think the food on US carriers is better than CI or BR. One possible explanation is that Americans are more used to UA food and Taiwanese/Chinese are more used to CI/BR food. (You need to compare long haul with long hual - TPE-HKG on BR has some strange and cheap hot meals but that is only 492 miles.)

Looking at how CI awards DL miles for their flights, I think BR will probably do the same - 50% EQM for most fares in Y. The interesting thing will be how much is given for Elite Class (Premium Economy) and whether one can redeem UA miles for Elite.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 7:36 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Originally Posted by wcalvert
Is there an easy way to get a list of all of the UA/CO direct flights?
I have not experienced any UA/CO international flights that isn't part of a direct flight. So my guess is every international flight is part of a direct flight.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 5:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton something
United's international economy product competes other US-based carriers... here you have:

• price sensitivity: the "mass market" of US travelers want the absolute cheapest thing no matter how miserable it makes the service
  • frequent flyer loyalty... people who will fly airline X because that's where their miles are, no matter how poor the service
  • people who fly airline X because that's who their companies have contracts with, no matter how poor the service
  • people who live in the USA, travel infrequently, and have no idea that there are foreign carriers out there, and will always travel on a US based airline, no matter how poor the service...
  • I'm sure you get the common theme here by now... ;-)

I think any marginally educated traveler, who has no loyalty and just wants the best service in economy from point A to point B, would rarely if ever pick a US based airline if there's a competing product from an international carrier. But those conditions very rarely occur... so the US based carriers all fight each other for the scraps of low-fare paying, hard to please, miserable whining americans.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 1:38 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl

I saw a similar food rejection on a UA flight. The guy behind me had ordered a Muslim meal and decided he'd rather have something else. The FA's response: "tough luck, we only have one thing for each passenger." However, UA does have extra chips and snacks available. (And on UA I needed those because the coach meal was not very substantial.) On Eva, I don't recall any issues with the food, but I wasn't paying particular attention either. (2AM departure. Uggh.)
My experience on UA has been incredibly different. If I happen to be in the back of the bus, when I do request for seconds, the FA will usually tell me, "If I can get you one after everyone has been served, I'll come back to you."

And no, I don't enjoy Economy food, I'm usually just loading up on the rice so I don't get hungry 4 hrs later.

Originally Posted by username
)

but many would not fly CI due to its safety record.
It's the only reason why I won't fly CI if I don't have to.

Last edited by mjcewl1284; Feb 9, 2012 at 1:50 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.