FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger-504/)
-   -   Scandinavia this summer: What would you do? Pay $2700 for C or $1700 W with SWU? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger/1302548-scandinavia-summer-what-would-you-do-pay-2700-c-1700-w-swu.html)

SFflyer123 Jan 14, 2012 5:36 pm

Scandinavia this summer: What would you do? Pay $2700 for C or $1700 W with SWU?

I am flying for a vacation to Scandinavia this summer. As you may or may not know, United is having a huge sale for $2700 business class fares SFO-Scandinavia (matching SAS's sale). Although it's not a super-bargain, it's pretty cheap for a business class fare SFO-Europe.

However, it's still about $1000 more than if I were to fly UA 901 to FRA and try to upgrade a W fare with an SWU. An upgradable fare SFO-Scandinavia is around $1650 to $1800 in economy in July. Of course, NC=0 this summer, as we know how the new UA is. If I could get NC confirmation, I would not even ask this question; I'd save the money.

What would people do? Pay the extra $1000 for the guaranteed C (plus the bonus of no stress and the extra EQM), or try to save the $1000 and go for the W fare? $1000 is $1000, and I could do a lot with a $1000! But then again, $1000 for guaranteed C is still another nice perk (plus 150% EQM). Thanks for any input people may have.

United757 Jan 14, 2012 5:52 pm

I'd definitely pay the $2,700. But then again, people value their $$$ differently.

halls120 Jan 14, 2012 6:11 pm

The first thing I'd do is see if there is a chance to buy an upgradeable coach fare that allows you to use miles and co-pay to confirm the upgrade at purchase. If that isn't available, I'd buy the C seat. I have no faith in buying a W fare and upgrading with an SWU, given the new management's habit of preferring GMs over elite members.

SFflyer123 Jan 14, 2012 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by United757 (Post 17814892)
I'd definitely pay the $2,700. But then again, people value their $$$ differently.

thanks.

Originally Posted by halls120 (Post 17814978)
The first thing I'd do is see if there is a chance to buy an upgradeable coach fare that allows you to use miles and co-pay to confirm the upgrade at purchase.

100% no way to confirm at purchase. It's the gate lottery.

NC=0.

Total NC=0.

Welcome to the new United.

FlyerChrisK Jan 14, 2012 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by halls120 (Post 17814978)
The first thing I'd do is see if there is a chance to buy an upgradeable coach fare that allows you to use miles and co-pay to confirm the upgrade at purchase. If that isn't available, I'd buy the C seat. I have no faith in buying a W fare and upgrading with an SWU, given the new management's habit of preferring GMs over elite members.

If you can confirm the miles+copay at booking (into NC space), a SWU could also be confirmed at booking.

To the OP: Which part of Scandinavia are you flying to? Is it served out of EWR? It might be worth connecting there.

Originally Posted by SFflyer123 (Post 17815051)
NC=0.

Total NC=0.

Not true?

Originally Posted by SFflyer123 (Post 17814831)
I am flying for a vacation to Scandinavia this summer. As you may or may not know, SAS is having a huge sale for $2700 business class fares SFO-Scandinavia, and United has matched. Although it's not a super-bargain, it's pretty cheap for a business class fare SFO-Europe.

Is this fare good only on SAS metal? Reading descriptions of SAS business leads me to think that UA's new C or CO's BF hard products are superior.

Originally Posted by SFflyer123 (Post 17814831)
What would people do? Pay the extra $1000 for the guaranteed C (plus the bonus of no stress and the extra EQM), or try to save the $1000 and go for the W fare? $1000 is $1000, and I could do a lot with a $1000! But then again, $1000 for guaranteed C is still another nice perk (plus 150% EQM). Thanks for any input people may have.

Connecting on the US east coast would give you a 20% EQM bonus for (nearly) free.

The EQM bonus of a C fare is roughly 3k EQM. I value 3k EQM at about $150, not $1000. What do you value your EQM at?

SFflyer123 Jan 14, 2012 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerChrisK (Post 17815210)
If you can confirm the miles+copay at booking (into NC space), a SWU could also be confirmed at booking.

To the OP: Which part of Scandinavia are you flying to? Is it served out of EWR? It might be worth connecting there.

Not true?

Unfortunately, on the dates that I'm interested in: NC=0, UA 901, 900, 926, 927, as well as out of ORD & IAD.

Is it served out of EWR?

Is this fare good only on SAS metal? Reading descriptions of SAS business leads me to think that UA's new C or CO's BF hard products are superior.

Connecting on the US east coast would give you a 20% EQM bonus for (nearly) free.

The EQM bonus of a C fare is roughly 3k EQM. I value 3k EQM at about $150, not $1000. What do you value your EQM at?

It would be on UA metal all the way except in Europe, when it's on LH metal. UA has matched SAS fares. I prefer to fly SFO-Europe non-stop because when you connect on the East Coast, those flights are so short (7 or 8 hours) that you really can't sleep on them. Plus, it takes 5hours to get there in domestic first, which is barely a step up over economy plus.

How does one get the 20% EQM bonus by connecting on the east coast? I think you may have lost me there. I know that on LH and UA, you get 150% EQM (I am not going to fly SAS metal).

I never thought about how much I value EQMs, unforunately! I guess I'll have to think about that!

Thanks for your great response!

Baze Jan 14, 2012 8:01 pm

Are you firm on your dates? The NC=0 could be because of the Olympics. Don't want to give away all those business seats for free ;) when they could sell them for Olympic visitors who combine a European vacation with the Olympics.

SFflyer123 Jan 14, 2012 8:04 pm

Good point, but unfortunately, it has nothing to do with that.

Originally Posted by Baze (Post 17815479)
Are you firm on your dates? The NC=0 could be because of the Olympics. Don't want to give away all those business seats for free ;) when they could sell them for Olympic visitors who combine a European vacation with the Olympics.

Good point, but unfortunately, if you take a look at this summer, NC=0 every single day. Look for yourself. It has nothing to do with the olympics unfortunately.

The NC=0 out of SFO-FRA is because this is the new United. Welcome to it.

Baze Jan 14, 2012 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by SFflyer123 (Post 17815498)
Good point, but unfortunately, if you take a look at this summer, NC=0 every single day. Look for yourself. It has nothing to do with the olympics unfortunately.

The NC=0 out of SFO-FRA is because this is the new United. Welcome to it.

Ok, forget Olympics, but summer is high season to Europe so I would expect fewer, if any, NC seats available. Was that way years ago too. Summer to Europe is always bad.

travel.flier Jan 14, 2012 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by SFflyer123 (Post 17815280)

How does one get the 20% EQM bonus by connecting on the east coast? I think you may have lost me there. I know that on LH and UA, you get 150% EQM (I am not going to fly SAS metal).

Because it's more miles to get there with a connection. About 800 more. Something like 5600 v 6400 to go sfo-fra v sfo-ewr-fra

SFflyer123 Jan 14, 2012 9:00 pm

I see

Originally Posted by travel.flier (Post 17815675)
Because it's more miles to get there with a connection. About 800 more. Something like 5600 v 6400 to go sfo-fra v sfo-ewr-fra

Ah, I see. Thank you. Great observation. I hadn't thought of that.

lhrsfo Jan 14, 2012 9:24 pm

FWIW, all my op-ups have been in high summer, when vacationers fill the back of the bus and business travellers are all on vacation.

But, you already know the answer: if you must be in Business, you have a bargain. If you are a gambler and don't object to being in E+, then save the $$.

Baze Jan 14, 2012 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by lhrsfo (Post 17815819)
FWIW, all my op-ups have been in high summer, when vacationers fill the back of the bus and business travellers are all on vacation.

But, you already know the answer: if you must be in Business, you have a bargain. If you are a gambler and don't object to being in E+, then save the $$.

Never said they would sell them, they just hope to sell them ;) It's getting cheaper for Americans to travel there. The exchange rate has been getting better for us lately.

Passmethesickbag Jan 14, 2012 10:04 pm

Or alternatively, pay $1,300 and travel Economy Extra on SK. Although you'd have to connect in ORD/IAD/EWR, and I'm not sure you can apply CR-1s for the domestic portion (operated by UA) if it's a codeshare.

PVDProf Jan 14, 2012 10:34 pm

I'm assuming this books into Z so you can't use an SWU C->F. But if you put up some miles, $2700+miles might make for a fun trip in F.