Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

UA violates US DOT order 2009-9-20 to charge an extra (out of contract) baggage fee

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA violates US DOT order 2009-9-20 to charge an extra (out of contract) baggage fee

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2012, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

My itinerary started with an operator who allows 2 check-on bags at no additional cost, with a destination in the U.S. Per US DOT order 2009-9-20 (which trumps IATA 302):
Code:
(a) For passengers whose ultimate ticketed origin or destination is a U.S. point, 
the baggage provisions selected at the beginning of the itinerary shall apply 
throughout the itinerary, regardless of stopovers
The booking documentation that was sent to me stated:
Code:
Baggage: 2 piece(s) per traveler
on every leg of the outbound journey and every leg of the return (as expected, because this is the allowance for the first operator of the itinerary).

When I appeared for my return trip with two bags, United refused the second bag, and stated that the documents sent to me were "wrong". The uncooperative moron then stated that the return trip begins a new "first flight", which determines the number of bags allowed to return home with me. Both the law and the documentation are on my side, but this UA person refused to accept it, and also refused to escalate the problem to management.

I was trapped, and with a non-refundable ticket, forced to either accommodate United Airlines breech of contract and pay for the second bag, or walk.

I paid. It did not make sense to walk and demand a refund to the non-refundable fare -- because even if they would do the refund, a last-minute one-way ticket back would cost at least triple that of the unused portion.

Out of curiosity, has anyone ethically strong-willed enough and simultaneously flexible in travel options tried to "walk" in this type of situation, and not take the flight? How did it pan out?

What's the most effective way to report DOT violations?

Last edited by garyschmitt; Jan 13, 2012 at 2:52 pm
Old Jan 13, 2012, 1:53 pm

Programs: UA, AA, LH, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, Hertz
I am not a lawyer so I can't comment on the legality of the issue but I believe that the first carrier on the itinerary is different for the outbound and inbound directions of the round trip (unless it is the same company, of course).

Furthermore, the wording of the US DOT order mentions stopovers, which are generally different than destination. Unless your ticket was purchased as a one way ticket between your origin and your origin (not a typo and very highly unlikely to happen) you may be interpreting the rule the wrong way.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 2:00 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by garyschmitt
My itinerary started with an operator who allows 2 check-on bags at no additional cost, with a destination in the U.S. Per US DOT order 2009-9-20 (which trumps IATA 320):
Code:
(a) For passengers whose ultimate ticketed origin or destination is a U.S. point, 
the baggage provisions selected at the beginning of the itinerary shall apply 
throughout the itinerary, regardless of stopovers
The booking documentation that was sent to me stated:
Code:
Baggage: 2 piece(s) per traveler
on every leg of the outbound journey and every leg of the return (as expected, because this is the allowance for the first operator of the itinerary).
Interesting, since I read that section to refer to a given trip, with stops, rather than a round-trip. So, in the case of a trip from A to B, where either A or B is in the US, the baggage rules that are in effect at the start of the trip are valid for the entire trip from A to B, but I don't read that to require that they be the same for the trip from B back to A. So, for example, if you are flying FRA-ORD-STL, whatever baggage rules are in effect FRA-ORD will still apply STL-ORD (so if you got two free bags FRA-ORD, there wouldn't be an additional charge ORD-STL). What makes you read this to imply that the baggage rules at the start of the itinerary apply for the return trip as well?
Old Jan 13, 2012, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by todorovic
I am not a lawyer so I can't comment on the legality of the issue but I believe that the first carrier on the itinerary is different for the outbound and inbound directions of the round trip (unless it is the same company, of course).

Furthermore, the wording of the US DOT order mentions stopovers, which are generally different than destination. Unless your ticket was purchased as a one way ticket between your origin and your origin (not a typo and very highly unlikely to happen) you may be interpreting the rule the wrong way.
I'm not a lawyer either, but suppose we neglect the law for a second and consider what's sensible. Is it sensible to have a law that allows more baggage on an outbound journey than an inbound? You would have that kind of silliness with no regulation on the matter at all, so then what would be the point of regulating this, if not to create a sensible industry?

On the one hand I have a machine-generated answer saying 2 bags for the whole trip (a machine that was designed to incorporate the law into the algorithm), and on the other hand I have a human -- a desk clerk who is not an aviation lawyer, saying the computer is wrong.

At the moment I'm not convinced that the human was correct.

Originally Posted by cestmoi123
What makes you read this to imply that the baggage rules at the start of the itinerary apply for the return trip as well?
I'm figuring both trips are on one itinerary. Certainly it's one booking code and one reservation. I asked for a concrete answer on whether it was one "itinerary" or two in this thread - and two people are confident that it's one itinerary. I don't yet see a compelling reason to find the contrary.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 13, 2012 at 8:22 pm Reason: merge
Old Jan 13, 2012, 2:21 pm

Programs: Many
I'm not a lawyer either, but suppose we neglect the law for a second and consider what's sensible. Is it sensible to have a law that allows more baggage on an outbound journey than an inbound?
What is sensible to you?

What is sensible to me?

What is sensible to my lawyer?

What is sensible to the UA check in agent you spoke with?

What is sensible to the UA person given the task of writing the rules?

What is sensible to UA management?

---------

As different people will consider different things to be sensible, it is not a good measure. What matters is the most correct and enforceable interpretation of the pertinent rules and laws.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 2:45 pm

Programs: was UA 1K now Gold, cuz UA 1.3 MM; HA,DL,AS (no status in these), Marriott Gold
Interesting philosophical question, but in practice you lose. IME, a couple of years back had an itinerary SEA-SFO-OGG all on United metal, then the return was OGG-HNL (on a Hawaiian Airlines codeshare w/a UA flite #), then HNL-SFO-SEA (on UA metal). Outbound, no problem w/ bags; however, Hawaiian charged a bag fee on the 20 minute OGG-HNL codeshare flight. Appealed to UA; answer was policies of 1st carrier on the 2nd half of the RT apply; too bad. IIRC, posted this experience on an FT thread at the time & got sympathy from others who'd had the same experience. Is there no justice <gr>?

Last edited by BH62; Jan 13, 2012 at 2:49 pm Reason: clarify code share airline
Old Jan 13, 2012, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Hmmm. If you'd like clarity as to whether the DOT regulation requires that the return trip be treated as part of the "throughout the itinerary" period under DOT order 2009-9-20, you could try filing a DOT complaint: http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/CP_AirlineService.htm and see what they say.

I imagine UA will be pretty responsive.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mherdeg
Hmmm. If you'd like clarity as to whether the DOT regulation requires that the return trip be treated as part of the "throughout the itinerary" period under DOT order 2009-9-20, you could try filing a DOT complaint: http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/CP_AirlineService.htm and see what they say.

I imagine UA will be pretty responsive.
And correct.

The DOT does not define the itinerary as the round-trip. End of story.

Your own quotation proves it. Your ultimate destination is not back home, it is the ending point of your first outbound leg(s).
Old Jan 13, 2012, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by aacharya

The DOT does not define the itinerary as the round-trip. End of story.
That is incorrect.

See this post of the above linked thread for clarification that the "itinerary" is indeed represented by the travel indicated by the entire PNR: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...l#post17804880

Since the introduction of the MSC IATA rules in April last with the special exceptions for single bookings that begin, end or have a turnaround point in the USA, the OP is entitled to the same checked luggage allowance that they had on the first "journey"ą of the trip for the entire trip.

The checked luggage allowance would be that for the segment of the "Most Significant Carrier" of the first "journey". Since the itinerary has a turnaround point in the USA, this would be that of the Marketing carrier of the segment.

See here for ANA's information: http://www.ana.co.jp/wws/sg/e/asw_co.../iata_302.html

and here for a reprise: http://www.businesstraveller.com/asi...ggage-policies

ą first "Journey" being the travel from the point of embarkation(origin) to the first stopover.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 3:25 pm

I'm not a lawyer either, but suppose we neglect the law for a second and consider what's sensible.
By the same token, it would be "sensible" for the DOT to put a regulation in place that makes it clear that passengers flying LGA-ORD-STL won't be told at ORD "since your trip to STL is on carrier X, which doesn't allow any free bags, it's a $50 fee if you want them to go on." My understanding, and, if you disagree, I certainly encourage you to submit a DOT complaint, is that it's exactly what I describe that the regulation is designed to prevent.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 3:39 pm

Turns out there's a thread on this here, and, based on the DOT powerpoint here, it looks like you're right, the definition of "itinerary" includes the return.

Problem is, the rule hasn't yet gone into effect, and won't until 1/24/12. So, next month, you'd be right, but as of now, IATA 302 appears to hold.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I will file this thread under Travel Philosophy.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 8:23 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by cestmoi123
Turns out there's a thread on this here, and, based on the DOT powerpoint here, it looks like you're right, the definition of "itinerary" includes the return.

Problem is, the rule hasn't yet gone into effect, and won't until 1/24/12. So, next month, you'd be right, but as of now, IATA 302 appears to hold.
Thanks for the link. Let's follow this topic there.

iluv2fly
Moderator, UA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.