Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

The Effect of all the new MMs and Spouses...

Old Jan 2, 12, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I am wondering what we think the effects would be...

Some of the stuff I can think of:

- More motivation to get there - I am in this category, I got a decent bump and it makes achieving MM in the next 3-5 years possible. So, this means all UA metal - for me but for UA

- Got there, I am free from CO/UA - some members seem to express this opinion

- I doubt it will affect upgrade chances much for higher level elites - people who are high level MMs are either still travelling like crazy or retired and travel occasionally

For the spouse benefit (which seems to give the higher of your MM level or your current level - e.g. 1K 1MM's spouse will get 1K for the current year, not Gold):

- Would your spouse do more revenue or award travel with you on your business trips?

- Would your spouse do more independent travel now he or she has status?

- Would your spouse move travel to UA?

- How would this affect upgrade schemes when travelling with the spouse?

- I guess this seriously affects upgrade chances for lower level elites

I guess if there is another program that offers spouse benefit and both of you travel a lot, then each of you should focus a different program. That would be pretty cool - the Flyertalk Power Couple, I guess
Old Jan 2, 12, 12:13 pm

Programs: Something lifetime here and there
I will chime in.

For me, if my SO is traveling on a paid ticket domestically with me, then I would do UA vs AA.

Internationally, probably no change since I buy J tickets on OW, and would just use miles for her to travel with me as OW J awards (especially to Asia) are a lot more plentiful..... If I were flying UA INTL, I would buy C and UG to F with SWU, but 3 issues...

1) the UG to F from C are more difficult these days (as some colleagues have told me).
2) UA F awards are few and far between for her to sit in F unless I spend big miles for standard award.
3) UA in C is running 20% plus higher than Asia carriers.

So, essentially, it boils down to me on INTL flights with UA, sit in say J on CX together, or J on UA....hmmm.....let me think about that one.....

Originally Posted by username View Post
For the spouse benefit (which seems to give the higher of your MM level or your current level - e.g. 1K 1MM's spouse will get 1K for the current year, not Gold):

On a side note...
Is this true? So, if you qualify say as 1K, and then you go over 1MM (while a 1K), your SO, also gets the 1K (or another way to put it, the higher status you have regardless?)

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 2, 12 at 1:45 pm Reason: merge
Old Jan 2, 12, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Originally Posted by goingbananas View Post
On a side note...
Is this true? So, if you qualify say as 1K, and then you go over 1MM (while a 1K), your SO, also gets the 1K (or another way to put it, the higher status you have regardless?)
yes
Old Jan 2, 12, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA1k; Bonvoy Titanium; Hilton Diamond; IHG Spire
Has the spouse match already started?
Old Jan 2, 12, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 1k650 View Post
Has the spouse match already started?
You can nominate your spouse/significant other now but they won't get the status until the systems merge according to UAInsider and the statement on the web when I nominated my spouse last night.

And yes, they will get whichever is higher as their status for the year, your MM status or your annual status. They match your current status.
Old Jan 2, 12, 1:31 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Effects will be fewer upgrades for frequent travelers and more upgrades for non-status travelers. The upgrade you don't clear will now be occupied by (1) children (1k families of 4), bosses (folks will change mailing address to be able to give their bosses a 1k "gift"), etc. With "real" (and faux) 1Ks getting upgraded less and less frequently, more UFC and use of miles in advance will occur by these pax, further pushing you down the food chain.
Old Jan 2, 12, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by username View Post

- I guess this seriously affects upgrade chances for lower level elites
The thing about spouses who don't travel a lot is that they don't travel a lot. If they didn't travel enough to have their own status, they're not displacing lower elites that often.
Old Jan 2, 12, 4:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by mduell View Post
The thing about spouses who don't travel a lot is that they don't travel a lot. If they didn't travel enough to have their own status, they're not displacing lower elites that often.
BINGO! For example, my wife probably flies 20K and 12 segments a year. I fly 100K or more and 60 segments. Yes she might get upgraded before a Gold or a Plat with her 1K by association status but much less frequently then I would. Add in that she often upgrades with my CRs and SWUs and then it becomes even less frequent.
Old Jan 2, 12, 5:19 pm

Programs: UA MP Premier Gold (Life), Hyatt Explorer, Various other hotel FS pgms
"The bump" took me more than two years closer to MM status and I should hit the mark sometime this year.

Upgrades won't make much of a difference to me and my wife. But with matched status we will be able to take even more luggage on those cargo runs to our home in Brazil!

And I will be done making mileage runs just to be sure I got Prem Exec every year.

I predict that UA will actually lose revenue from us through this benefit.
Old Jan 2, 12, 5:28 pm

Programs: UA 1MM
Just adds to the ongoing devaluation of the ever decreasing elite-benefits available.

FT may not be a quality sample size for the general UACO population but from the recent MM-lite threads it sure looks like there will be several more MM'ers of various valuations going forward. From a crowded elite field, several 1K-lite-lites and other spousal elites won't help.

Sitting here with ToDs, higher number of elites, devalued priority for elite status for UGs list, failed boarding procedures, failed premier access this frog is feeling a little toasty.
Old Jan 2, 12, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RedEyeDelight View Post
Just adds to the ongoing devaluation of the ever decreasing elite-benefits available.

FT may not be a quality sample size for the general UACO population but from the recent MM-lite threads it sure looks like there will be several more MM'ers of various valuations going forward. From a crowded elite field, several 1K-lite-lites and other spousal elites won't help.

Sitting here with ToDs, higher number of elites, devalued priority for elite status for UGs list, failed boarding procedures, failed premier access this frog is feeling a little toasty.
I am curious. As CO had the spouse benefit before what are the actual impacts on travel from all the spouses with the matching status on CO? Did you really see any difference in the amount of upgrades you got?
Old Jan 2, 12, 5:49 pm

Location: Homosassa, FL & Wanaque, NJ -UA-G; SPG-Plat (Lifetime Gold)
Originally Posted by Baze View Post
I am curious. As CO had the spouse benefit before what are the actual impacts on travel from all the spouses with the matching status on CO? Did you really see any difference in the amount of upgrades you got?
No. Most CO folks (like myself whose wife is the desiganted recipient on my status) would probably agree. In the general overall number of elite flyers, those that are now upgraded because of MM designation just has not appeared to make a difference. I would say the TOD program had much, much, more impact on reducing upgrade percentages.
Old Jan 2, 12, 5:57 pm

Programs: UA 1MM
Originally Posted by Baze View Post
I'm from the UA side so I'm only speculating.

I think it is safe to say that several thousand more spouses from the PMUA side will now soon have status which will add to the competition on the flights they normally would take and I'm speculating that these spouses will be more likely to fly UA more with their new/elevated status.

Looking back at the good old PMUA e500 days our upgrade benefits, speaking from a 1Ks point of view, have drastically been reduced and it is not getting any better with the merger. PMUA started the devaluation with UDU of course, the New United has just accelerated the decline.
Old Jan 2, 12, 7:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K.. 1MM
I concur with those who think spousal sponsorship isn't going to have much effect.

My wife does not travel frequently. When she does, she's usually with me. She's either on an award ticket or on the same PNR as me. So, the one trip she takes alone every three years... yea.. she will see a benefit. But I don't forsee there suddenly being a slew of spouses and children "stealing" upgrades from you.

And honestly... If someone is a 2MM+ member, good on em.. having flow more than 2-3x mr/ms "i have 300k lifetime miles"... I personally feel their family has paid their own dues just as much.
Old Jan 2, 12, 8:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA-1K, Marriott Plat Premier
Originally Posted by superEGO View Post
I concur with those who think spousal sponsorship isn't going to have much effect.

My wife does not travel frequently. When she does, she's usually with me. She's either on an award ticket or on the same PNR as me. So, the one trip she takes alone every three years... yea.. she will see a benefit. But I don't forsee there suddenly being a slew of spouses and children "stealing" upgrades from you.

And honestly... If someone is a 2MM+ member, good on em.. having flow more than 2-3x mr/ms "i have 300k lifetime miles"... I personally feel their family has paid their own dues just as much.
Given the reconfigured planes with more E+ seats and less F/C availability, every person who has status just hurts upgrades chances that much more. Less seats, more elites = upgrades are going to be harder and harder to get.

If someone has 1MM and then they can get their spouse an upgrade over someone else who is actively flying a lot of miles, I have a problem with that. The spouse did not do the seat time.......

I flew 200k+ miles for 2011 and if a MM spouse got a nod over me during my travel days, I don't think it's fair regardless of how many lifetime miles I may have.

The biggest concern I have is the GM being allowed paid upgrades to swipe them out from under those of us using SWUs/CR-1 (or whatever they are going to be called). So the MM spuse benefit is another incremental way for UGs to be harder to come by.

I'm actively trying to use up my remaining SWUs any way possible as I think post-merger completion they will be severly devalued on INTL routes.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: