Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Difficulty in Sponsoring an Upgrade on United's Website

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Difficulty in Sponsoring an Upgrade on United's Website

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2012, 6:37 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Ethicist
Thanks everyone, when I was on the phone the agent said that she would do it for me but I told her that since I spend so much time there anyway, I would just stop by my friendly TA.
You should have been able to do this over the phone at the same time when you transferred your SWU from CO to UA.

I recently called 1K desk to sponsor someone on CO TATL with my UA SWU. The agent transferred my SWU from UA to CO, then another agent took over the call to apply my SWU to the CO flights. No need to go sign a form at the Airport.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 9:26 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, BA Gold, SQ TPP
Problems sponsoring upgrades (possibly merger related)?

Sponsored upgrades (using CR1s) for a co-worker. He had problems checking in both on the outbound and return. On the outbound, he called me from the airport and had me speak to the agent, who said it was something having to do with the merger, that I needed to call Continental. I explained to her the upgrades came from a UA account and was applied to a UA flight, and she said she'd look into it.

Anyway, he did manage to get the upgrade both ways after 20 minutes or so of check-in confusion each time.

And - get this - the upgrades didn't get deducted from my account in the end (or more precisely, they were re-credited automatically as though he didn't get the upgrade).

Also, not sure if it matters - but he had a CO frequent flyer number on his reservation.

Anyone have similar experiences?
Old Feb 10, 2012, 9:34 am

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
How did you sponsor them? Phone? Online?
Old Feb 10, 2012, 9:41 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, BA Gold, SQ TPP
Originally Posted by stevenshev
How did you sponsor them? Phone? Online?
Online (united.com)

By the way, I suspect he got op-up'ed both ways. He offered to forgo the upgrade both times (it was a C -> F upgrade and he was ok in C) but in both cases C was full by the time he checked in.

Last edited by c1mth0g; Feb 10, 2012 at 12:13 pm
Old Feb 10, 2012, 1:15 pm

Programs: CO Plat
I have noticed that even if you are able to sponsor the upgrade online, it still gives the message on check-in "The requested upgrade has not been authorized for use by a Mileage Plus member".

This just happen to me today with CR1.

I called 1k + web support for supervisor over-ride help with this database glitch. It seems as security measure for upgrade sponsorship of passenger(s) with different last name as the upgrade account holder, UA now require to re-verify signature release authorization for online checkin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.