Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

United flight to Cancun, upgraded to business... where is first?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2011, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

Hello All,

I was just curiouos, I am a united Prem Ex member, wife and I are flying to cancun this saturday, (Dec 3rd) from SFO directly to CUN. Flight 0677. Should be an airbus A320. I used miles to upgrade. 20K each person on the way there. The upgrade cleared right away, and we got our seats. For some reason though it cleared to business class not first.

I always thought it a 2 cabin plane (3 if you can economy plus), coach and first.

Do they do this because it is an international flight, and they dont want to pass the international first perks along?

Also, should I have used my miles for the upgrade, or are these trips usually upgraded for free?

Thanks all!
Old Nov 28, 2011, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Welcome to FT!

They sell it as Business, but you'll be seated in First on the A320.

ETA: Here are some threads you may wish to read..

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ss-mexico.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...weirdness.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-business.html
Old Nov 28, 2011, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Free elite upgrades apply on A320

International Business Class is CO branding for domestic F planes heading to the Carribean/Central America. There is no difference between these seats and domestic "F".
Old Nov 28, 2011, 4:52 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Welcome to FT! UA has always done this..it's a practice unique to Mexican and (I believe) other Caribbean destinations. But it's just a normal 2 class domestic plane.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 4:56 pm
Original Poster

Thanks guys. But flying international business, I dont get a few of the perks that I was hoping for.. for example, at SFO, there is a specific line for international first. Also, international first I can bring 1 guest into the lounge with me. My wife and I are going with another couple, who are flying economy. Now we will not be able to bring them into lounge.

Also, next question, should I upgrade on the way back, or wing it and see if I get a free upgrade cleared?

Thanks for all replies!
Old Nov 28, 2011, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think you are expecting too much for 20,000 miles.

This will be standard domestic "first" class. No guests unless Star Gold into the regular United Club (NOT the first class lounge)
Old Nov 28, 2011, 5:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rankourabu
I think you are expecting too much for 20,000 miles.

This will be standard domestic "first" class. No guests unless Star Gold into the regular United Club (NOT the first class lounge)
I understand it is a domestic first seat... that I have known all along. It is just the lounge access. So I am Star Gold.. can I bring people with me @ SFO? How Many?
Old Nov 28, 2011, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by j_savitskiy
I understand it is a domestic first seat... that I have known all along. It is just the lounge access. So I am Star Gold.. can I bring people with me @ SFO? How Many?
Star Gold +1
First class +0

so if you are Star Gold and your wife is not, and you are both flying to CUN in "F", you can bring a total of three people including you two.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 5:16 pm
Original Poster

Star Gold +1
First class +0

so if you are Star Gold and your wife is not, and you are both flying to CUN in "F", you can bring a total of three people including you two.
I bought economy seats, and used miles to upgrade. Upgrade happens to be in business class, and not first as I originally thought. Currently in NC. Will those seats have any influence on lounge access?
Old Nov 28, 2011, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I bought economy seats, and used miles to upgrade. Upgrade happens to be in business class, and not first as I originally thought. Currently in NC. Will those seats have any influence on lounge access?
No. You get in. As a Star Gold you get a guest.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 5:47 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
FWIW, even if it were called "first".. if only to Mexico the rules would be the same in terms of the number of guests. If your wife is also *G then you each can bring 1.. otherwise the other couple will have to flip a coin.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 6:09 pm
Original Poster

No. You get in. As a Star Gold you get a guest.
Ok. So basically just me +1 would be able to go in under my star gold status. the business seats have no impact on this.

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.