FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger-504/)
-   -   UA 763, take upgrade and split with family or forego? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger/1283233-ua-763-take-upgrade-split-family-forego.html)

mp2 Nov 22, 2011 6:13 am

UA 763, take upgrade and split with family or forego?

I have a flight coming up in the next 3.5 hrs, from SFO to Hawaii.

Very likely, I will get the UDU (Am #1 on the list right now), but Mrs. mp2 will likely not (She's #5). There are just 2 seats open (2F, 1A) on the flight.

I was thinking of taking the upgrade, and letting Mrs. Mp2 and little mp2 sit up in first, whilst I sit in economy.

This is a UA763, and from what I read, the first is not that much worth it(?). Yes, the upgrade is free, and I get a meal, but is it great enough for us to sit separately?

Any opinions on what I should do?

AZjohns Nov 22, 2011 6:20 am

Well, to start with, I have never been lucky enough to only fly 3.5 hours to Hawaii from the west coast. I wish you the best luck to do that ;)
Second, I don't understand why your wife isn't with your priority unless you split or have two different PNR's.
But personally, I like to fly together with my family to Hawaii and wouldn't think of any other situations. It's not like domestic F is that great.

Ready4Snow Nov 22, 2011 6:23 am

I have rejected a half dozen upgrades this year do I could sit with my girlfriend. Domestic first for a few hours vs sitting, talking with her during the rare time we get to spend together, no contest.

sbm12 Nov 22, 2011 6:23 am

Last time I was on the 763 to HNL I ended up trading during boarding and giving my upgrade to a guy's wife so they could sit together. The net quality of my flight experience was not particularly different, especially as I had purchased a meal in the terminal prior to boarding and plenty of drink chits. Knowing that the seat up front wasn't really all that much better made it easy for me to make someone else very happy with minimal negative effect to me.

What it really comes down to IMO is whether you (or, more appropriately, your wife + kid) think that the little bit of extra space would make the flight sufficiently more comfortable to justify the split. With me and my wife the general rule is that we take the upgrade and deal with being split up. I'm not sure how having the kid in tow would affect that. But if you bring a meal with you the overall impact of skipping the upgrade will be minimal. If that makes taking care of the kid easier then that's what I'd do.

SFO777 Nov 22, 2011 6:24 am

Originally Posted by AZjohns (Post 17496747)
Well, to start with, I have never been lucky enough to only fly 3.5 hours to Hawaii from the west coast.

OP stated that his flight was in 3.5 hours, as in 8:45A-ish.

You would really earn brownie points by letting the Mrs. take the F seat and you keep the little one with you in Y. :D
On the other hand, it may be a moot point as both 763 flights (OGG and KOA) are currently showing F0.

jhayes_1780 Nov 22, 2011 6:59 am

Originally Posted by mp2 (Post 17496717)
This is a UA763, and from what I read, the first is not that much worth it(?).

IME, it is not worth it. Especially having a child with you, I had an excelltent expierence in E+ on the 763 in the middle row, when you lift the armrests you have as much (if not more) room then the middles in F.

Plus with little mp2 in the middle, you can both attend to her.

aacharya Nov 22, 2011 8:34 am

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 17496764)

I remember that thread. I wish I would be as nice if the opportunity arose. Drinks on me if we ever meet at an airport or a DO.

airchick Nov 22, 2011 9:22 am

Of my total flying time, the percentage I fly with my family is low. Thus far, I have declined the handful of times I've been upgraded when traveling with family.

Much better was the time when my son and I were traveling together and we both got upgraded. And, at the airport for the connecting flight, we watched our names bounce around the upgrade list. We ultimately did not get upgraded, but it's been a nice story for us to share.

mp2 Nov 22, 2011 9:30 am

Thanks all for the replies. Luck was on our side and we both got upgraded. I had gone to the desk to give it up. But kept it since we both got it :-)

sbm12 Nov 22, 2011 9:32 am

Originally Posted by mp2 (Post 17497756)
Thanks all for the replies. Luck was on our side and we both got upgraded. I had gone to the desk to give it up. But kept it since we both got it :-)

:cool:

Enjoy the flight.

SFO777 Nov 22, 2011 9:34 am

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 17497771)
:cool:
Enjoy the flight.

^

AZjohns Nov 22, 2011 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by SFO777 (Post 17496771)
OP stated that his flight was in 3.5 hours, as in 8:45A-ish.

Oh, I knew I was missing something and I was only on my first cup of coffee :o

Glad to hear back from the OP the happy ending !