Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

What happens when only Econ Plus seats are left?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What happens when only Econ Plus seats are left?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2011, 3:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP , Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Plat, Global Entry
I'm surprised that so many of you think IDB is not possible. It happens, not often, but to compare it to a crash is irresponsible.

I'd do what others suggest and look at the seat map whenever you think about it especially during the upgrade clearance windows.

If there is no E- seat when you check in then you'll go on the Departure Management list as needing a seat. You may get an E+ seat, but if the flight is oversold and they can't get volunteers then it goes by status and fare paid to get a seat.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 6:34 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I don't believe a single person said an IDB was not possible. I think many people said it was unlikely, which it is. Since there are still empty seats on the plane, as is the case here, the chance of being forced to take an involuntary denied boarding is very close to zero. United will not fly out with empty seats and pay people not to be on the plane.

The offer to buy up to E+ is a sucker sale to get people to think it's the only way they will fly that day. When you checkin, if economy is full, they will seat you in an empty E+ seat (or at the gate). They won't deny anybody boarding because they did not fall for their offer to buy up to get a seat assignment.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 6:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP , Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by cordelli
I don't believe a single person said an IDB was not possible. I think many people said it was unlikely, which it is. Since there are still empty seats on the plane, as is the case here, the chance of being forced to take an involuntary denied boarding is very close to zero. United will not fly out with empty seats and pay people not to be on the plane.

The offer to buy up to E+ is a sucker sale to get people to think it's the only way they will fly that day. When you checkin, if economy is full, they will seat you in an empty E+ seat (or at the gate). They won't deny anybody boarding because they did not fall for their offer to buy up to get a seat assignment.
You are correct. I was only referring to the fact that OP said that these flights are often oversold. My point was that if all the E+ seats were gone then the OP could potentially have a problem. FYI, I once was a UA gate agent so I saw this happen a few times. Not a good situation, it seems as if Inventory Management is doing a better job of this these days, as for United Express flights all bets are off!
Old Nov 22, 2011, 7:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Better chances to get an E+ upgrade checking in as a single..

although my family has its fair shares of upgrades.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 7:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by tjl
When you check in, one of three things may occur if you were unable to select an E- seat beforehand:

1. An E- seat will have opened up for some reason, and you will be put in it.
2. All of the E- seats are full, but an E+ seat is open, and you will be put in it, even if you do not pay for the buy-up-to-E+ offer (if you do pay, you will get to select which open E+ seat you get).
3. All of the seats are full (overbooked), and you will be on standby with the possibility of IDB.
#3 is simply incorrect and I'm surprised nobody has called this out specifically. Standby is BP5, and if if you get to option 3 at checkin, you will be given a BP2 and your name will show on the monitor as "confirmed awaiting seats" you are NOT standby.

IDB priority to my understanding is 1) status 2) fare paid 3) time of check-in.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by travel.flier
IDB priority to my understanding is 1) status 2) fare paid 3) time of check-in.
There have been many posts by GA's that status is not an official qualifier/dis-qualifier for iDB or even VDB. It is what is best and cheapest for the airline. Now that doesn't mean GA's don't take status into consideration.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 7:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by Baze
There have been many posts by GA's that status is not an official qualifier/dis-qualifier for iDB or even VDB. It is what is best and cheapest for the airline. Now that doesn't mean GA's don't take status into consideration.
I can say for sure esp on VDB that status determines the order of the list. GA's don't have to follow the list. But I've been put on the list second but told I was #1 because of status. You can see them reading the screen so I know for sure they aren't making it up. And it has happened multiple times. So some algorithm is sorting a list.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can say for sure esp on VDB that status determines the order of the list. GA's don't have to follow the list. But I've been put on the list second but told I was #1 because of status. You can see them reading the screen so I know for sure they aren't making it up. And it has happened multiple times. So some algorithm is sorting a list.
Then I guess all the GA's on FT are not telling the truth. Just passing on what I have read. Maybe one can chime in here and clear it up.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 3:52 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by Baze
Then I guess all the GA's on FT are not telling the truth. Just passing on what I have read. Maybe one can chime in here and clear it up.
Bolding mine.

For sure the VDB list is sorted by status. But as OP stated, they do not have to go by that order.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 9:02 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by TekTrek
So my best bet is going to be buy up to E+ to confirm a seat and not paint a target on myself for IDB... a bit shady if you ask me.
Am I the only one who is mildly jealous of the OP's situation? All the flights I booked more recently ex Asia had 100% full E+ (yes, including the milldes) and wide open E- cabins ....
Old Nov 24, 2011, 9:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by weero
Am I the only one who is mildly jealous of the OP's situation? All the flights I booked more recently ex Asia had 100% full E+ (yes, including the milldes) and wide open E- cabins ....
If E+ is full and there is wide open availability of E-, I would sooner go into E- and get an empty seat beside me.. especially for a long flight..
Old Nov 25, 2011, 8:25 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
If E+ is full and there is wide open availability of E-, I would sooner go into E- and get an empty seat beside me.. especially for a long flight..

How to you get an empty seat next to you? That feature is a feature of the past.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 1:21 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
If that ever happens, I agree.

How to you get an empty seat next to you? That feature is a feature of the past.
Yes, it is a rare species these days - the airplane with empty seats. Had a shocker during the summer on an ORD-BRU flight, where even the FAs were shocked at how light we were that day.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 8:17 pm
Suspended

Say you enter the cabin.. after everyone is seated you can ask the FA to move..
Old Nov 25, 2011, 8:42 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
I remember flying to Paris one very cold and rainy February. Imagine my excitement when the door closed and I discovered that I had the whole center section of an economy row almost all the way in the rear of a 777 to myself. I was stretched out across the whole row asleep 20 minutes after takeoff and didn't wake up unil the breakfast cart was coming around.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.