Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Help with United seating issue (traveling with small children)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2011, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta GM

I'd appreciate any help I could get with the following problem. My wife and I are traveling roundtrip ORD-LAX on 11/10 (839) and 11/14 (244) with our children, age 4, 9, and 11. The 11 year-old is autistic. Just after making our reservations, I got us seat assignments together and have checked back several times, wary of aircraft changes that might affect seat assignments.

You can guess what's happened. A late aircraft change (we're now on a 757-200) apparently occurred and the computer took away our seats entirely. The flight is pretty full and there are only middle seats left as of yesterday.

I've spoken with continental and united about this and they claim that nothing can be done until check-in. The response I've gotten is that only operations can change seats and this cannot happen now. So, they want me to wait until check-in. That seems like a bad way of handling this, particularly because they knew that there were five of us and three kids from the beginning.

Do I have any other options? I don't travel on United regularly, so I'd appreciate the input of others with more expertise. Thanks.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 3:09 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Are you on separate PNRs??? It is odd to scatter a group on a single PNR.
Are you in regular economy or E+?
Old Nov 7, 2011, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Single PNR. No seats assigned as of today. Were originally in economy.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 5:56 pm

Programs: No Loyalty to any airline
I was going to suggest purchasing E+ access, but you're right; those flights don't even have any seats available in E+. Right now, all you can do is keep checking to see if you can find a few seats together. People cancel or miss flights all the time, and you may find something better.

Personally, I would call UA again and ask to speak with a supervisor. It's worth a try. If they still can't do anything, sometimes you will have a better seat selection at OLCI. If nothing opens up, you'll have to try at the gate.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Thanks. Already spoke with a supervisor at United, but will try again. The one with whom I spoke claimed there was literally nothing she could do, which I questioned (and still question). She claimed that it was an operations situation which she couldn't access. I'm still confused and frustrated that their computer system would move us apart, given that it should know I have 3 kids with me (I included their ages in the reservation) and that we are on the same PNR.

Other suggestions welcomed...
Old Nov 8, 2011, 10:03 am

Programs: General member, former 1P
This is a shot in the dark, but maybe have a travel agent call for you? I'm thinking of perhaps a local/neighborhood travel agency where you can visit and explain in person the urgency of your request. One of them might have more juice calling than you, or know exactly where to call. The agent might charge you, sure, but $25 or $50 would be money well spent in my judgment.

If that fails, get to the airport super-early (2-3 hours) and try to resolve the seat issue as soon as you get to the ticket counter.

Can the talented agents in United Clubs (fka Red Carpet Clubs) deal with seat assignments? I've never been in one, so more knowledgeable FTers will have to answer. If so, and if you're still needing the issue resolved by the time you clear security, it would be worth $39 to get a one-time pass and have an agent in the club square you away. There is a fantastic playground at ORD in Terminal 2 your family can visit while you attend to the seat assignments at the United Club.

I would also continue calling between now and departure day. If you strike out, thank the agent politely and call back later.

Finally, you said your older son is autistic. I know a little about being in your shoes, and you might be reluctant to say the word "handicapped," much less play that card. But consider doing so if that's the only way you're going to get seated together. You're not trying to game the system and get free F upgrades and club passes for your family. You're trying to sit together. That's not too much to ask.

Last edited by flavorflav; Nov 8, 2011 at 10:03 am Reason: typo
Old Nov 8, 2011, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

thanks. I appreciate your thoughtful reply.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 1:31 pm
djs

Programs: UA, Hertz Gold, AA Gold, DL Silver
Seems to me that if it's an "operations" issue then they ought to be able to put you in touch with someone from "operations" to resolve this issue. Given your situation, it seems like it should be a no-brainer to resolve....even if it means re-assigning other people.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Gold
It might not provide much solace at this point, but the gate agents can usually run these things down, IME. I travel quite often with a toddler in his own seat and on more than one occasion I've come to the gate to find our seats "curteously" moved to an exit row, only to have to tell them that's not going to work because of his age. Even on full flights, they've always found a solution.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 1:56 am

Programs: UA 1K >2MM, IC Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ccmflyer
Do I have any other options? I don't travel on United regularly, so I'd appreciate the input of others with more expertise. Thanks.
With that number and configuration of children, are you sure you wouldn't be happier on WN? I know I would be. . .
Old Nov 9, 2011, 3:31 am

Programs: CO Platinum / BA Gold
Originally Posted by unclpaully
It might not provide much solace at this point, but the gate agents can usually run these things down, IME.
On two occasions in the past UA gate agents have moved me out of my seat to let families sit together.

For someone with a genuine need I'm sure they will do something appropriate to at least improve the situation.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 6:13 am

Programs: UA Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz 5 Star
Not much solace, but 839 upgauged from an A320 in October to the 757 with the November schedule, as it's spring time downunder (the flight connects to a 747 going to Sydney). Hopefully you'll get this resolved at the OLCI/airport and enjoy LA this weekend.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 11:38 pm

Programs: UA1K 3MM, AS MVP 75K Gold
Same thing happened to me. I have 11 people going from HNL-LAX-MCO. The HNL-LAX changed flight numbers with the same equipment but this was enough to scatter everyone into different seats. We were all in a row (I booked these award tkts over ten months ago) as in 22H/J, 23H/J, 24H/J, etc. The new seating has us on both sides of the plane and my 4 year grandaughter ended up sitting by herself.

On the LAX-MCO flight, the equipment changes from a 319 to a 757. Even though both planes have 3-3 seating, we were moved all over the place. Original seating had us in a row-- 13ABCDEF, etc.-- and the new seating has us in groups of two along with my 4 year old grandaughter again sitting by herself. (The computer obviously has a thing against little girls.)

I got no e-mail about this and as soon as I noticed it, I e-mailed the 1K desk and the response was:

"Our reservations computer system is programmed to automatically reassign
seats that have been affected by a schedule change. This includes
changes in times, equipment types, flight numbers or cancellations.
While we do our best to reassign the exact seat that you originally
held, I'm sorry that we weren't able to do so this time. Sometimes we
are unsuccessful with preventing any guest inconveniences and we are
truly sorry that this was your experience."

The flight is now almost fully booked so there's not a whole lot that can be done besides asking people to switch seats once we board.

I'm just puzzled why a flight number change from HNL-LAX would generate all the seat switching and why in a 3-3 seating plane, the seats wouldn't remain the same.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.