Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

IDB'ed from a UA Flight due to Seat Assignment Error - Help/Advice Sought

IDB'ed from a UA Flight due to Seat Assignment Error - Help/Advice Sought

 
Old Sep 29, 11, 12:31 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,900
IDB'ed from a UA Flight due to Seat Assignment Error - Help/Advice Sought

UA / CA ..sent them both a customer care email. No response.

I was involuntary denied boarding for a flight, and couldn't get on one until the next day.

I was trying to call Mileage Plus, but I have no status. They said I needed to fill out the form on the website. I did that two weeks ago, and have not heard a thing yet.

This is what happened: I left a meeting at JFK.
Was flying JFK->ORD->DEN. I used to live in Denver, but don't have a place yet in NYC>

On the flight from ORD-> DEN, I was in row 37. There was only 34 rows in the plane. The flight was completely booked, so I was automatically denied boarding because of my row number. I had to meet someone to close on my old place in DEN, which didn't happen.

They put me on standby, and I spent the whole day in the airport. Didn't make it on any flights... The next confirmed flight was the following day.

They did give me $200 travel voucher, but didn't give me a hotel voucher/coupon. Maybe I can't complaign with $200, but my whole week was messed up.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Oct 11, 11 at 10:33 am Reason: consolidating information into one post
surftb15 is offline  
Old Sep 29, 11, 1:29 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 39
Print a letter, sign it and mail it in. Generally has better results.
OUFan76 is offline  
Old Sep 29, 11, 1:54 pm
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: ZOA, SFO, HKG
Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Posts: 12,756
Or Make A Youtube Video for a New Song...United Kick Me Off...
garykung is offline  
Old Sep 29, 11, 1:56 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kansas City Metro | MCI
Programs: UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat., NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Posts: 20,275
If you were 1K, you could call the 1K Desk and be transferred to 1K Customer Service.. Without status, it's harder.. Perhaps you could call MileagePlus again? The US agents there are also easy to deal with..
FriendlySkies is offline  
Old Sep 29, 11, 5:11 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: USA
Programs: the human race
Posts: 2,296
Originally Posted by surftb15 View Post
This is what happened: I left a meeting at JFK.
Was flying JFK->ORD->DEN. I used to live in Denver, but don't have a place yet in NYC>

On the flight from ORD-> DEN, I was in row 37. There was only 34 rows in the plane. The flight was completely booked, so I was automatically denied boarding because of my row number. I had to meet someone to close on my old place in DEN, which didn't happen.

They put me on standby, and I spent the whole day in the airport. Didn't make it on any flights... The next confirmed flight was the following day.

They did give me $200 travel voucher, but didn't give me a hotel voucher/coupon. Maybe I can't complaign with $200, but my whole week was messed up.

wow. being asked to sit in a row that does not exist would seem to be worth more than $200.
Dr_wanderlust is offline  
Old Sep 29, 11, 5:19 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: MEL
Programs: QR platinum
Posts: 601
Originally Posted by surftb15 View Post
This is what happened: I left a meeting at JFK.
Was flying JFK->ORD->DEN. I used to live in Denver, but don't have a place yet in NYC>

On the flight from ORD-> DEN, I was in row 37. There was only 34 rows in the plane. The flight was completely booked, so I was automatically denied boarding because of my row number. I had to meet someone to close on my old place in DEN, which didn't happen.

They put me on standby, and I spent the whole day in the airport. Didn't make it on any flights... The next confirmed flight was the following day.

They did give me $200 travel voucher, but didn't give me a hotel voucher/coupon. Maybe I can't complaign with $200, but my whole week was messed up.
In case of IDB you are entitled to cash, not travel vouchers. Not sure about the exact amount with the latest regulations, but it should be at least 400$. I suggest you do some research on IDB and then consider filing a complain with DOT if UA continues to ignore you.
CASAFlyer is offline  
Old Sep 29, 11, 5:25 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,900
Originally Posted by CASAFlyer View Post
In case of IDB you are entitled to cash, not travel vouchers. Not sure about the exact amount with the latest regulations, but it should be at least 400$. I suggest you do some research on IDB and then consider filing a complain with DOT if UA continues to ignore you.
Right.
But what number would be best to proceed?
That is what I am having trouble with. The fare I paid was B fare $700 / round trip.

Got the runaround again.
If anyone has the 1K phone number, please PM me. Or any phone number to someone that can help.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Sep 29, 11 at 5:55 pm Reason: merge
surftb15 is offline  
Old Sep 29, 11, 6:33 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: USA
Programs: the human race
Posts: 2,296
did UA give you a written note about your rights during an involuntary bump?

the rules on compensations vary depending on how many hours late you were from your original arrival time.

IIRC, however, if there is a gauge change these rules are not applicable.
Dr_wanderlust is offline  
Old Sep 29, 11, 6:39 pm
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,900
Originally Posted by Dr_wanderlust View Post
did UA give you a written note about your rights during an involuntary bump?

the rules on compensations vary depending on how many hours late you were from your original arrival time.

IIRC, however, if there is a gauge change these rules are not applicable.

I called the Mileage Plus number, and spoke to some lady (actually helpful).

Here is what happened:

There was a system glitch. The plane didn't change, but the computer showed +3 rows of seats.

She couldn't authorize compensation, which I am due since it was +1 day until I arrived. She gave me a $75 coupon until I hear back from Customer Care. I am also going to mail a letter to them , overnight it with signature required so I know they receive it.
surftb15 is offline  
Old Oct 1, 11, 9:50 am
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,900
I am going to mail a letter priority mail on monday. I have yet to hear a thing, this is getting a bit ridiculous.
surftb15 is offline  
Old Oct 1, 11, 11:28 am
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 10,248
Originally Posted by surftb15 View Post
I am going to mail a letter priority mail on monday. I have yet to hear a thing, this is getting a bit ridiculous.
From what I gathered, if you have no status, you will get a lot better response if you carbon copied the Department of Transportation: http://airconsumer.dot.gov/CP_AirlineService.htm

I am not 100% sure if it applies but see http://airconsumer.dot.gov/publications/flyrights.htm under Involuntary bumping

Last edited by username; Oct 1, 11 at 11:34 am
username is offline  
Old Oct 1, 11, 5:05 pm
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,900
Originally Posted by username View Post
From what I gathered, if you have no status, you will get a lot better response if you carbon copied the Department of Transportation: http://airconsumer.dot.gov/CP_AirlineService.htm

I am not 100% sure if it applies but see http://airconsumer.dot.gov/publications/flyrights.htm under Involuntary bumping

Thanks for the link. I had quite a bit of work to do today, but I am going to draft a letter tonight and submit a copy to both United and the DOT.

We will see what comes of this. United is still backed up.

They gave me a $75 credit to hold me over, which is good because I am flying next weekend. However, I want to get this all resolved as soon as possible.
surftb15 is offline  
Old Oct 1, 11, 7:09 pm
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 10,248
Originally Posted by surftb15 View Post
Thanks for the link. I had quite a bit of work to do today, but I am going to draft a letter tonight and submit a copy to both United and the DOT.

We will see what comes of this. United is still backed up.

They gave me a $75 credit to hold me over, which is good because I am flying next weekend. However, I want to get this all resolved as soon as possible.
I guess it hinges on whether this was a IDB situation. If yes, then you are due lots of money.

It is not exactly an equipment substitution either. Good luck and keep us posted.

By the way, even the 1K customer service does not seem to be responding as fast now as before. So, be patient.
username is offline  
Old Oct 1, 11, 7:56 pm
  #14  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,900
Originally Posted by username View Post
I guess it hinges on whether this was a IDB situation. If yes, then you are due lots of money.

It is not exactly an equipment substitution either. Good luck and keep us posted.

By the way, even the 1K customer service does not seem to be responding as fast now as before. So, be patient.
Thanks.

I drafted my letter and will mail it to UA and the DOT on Monday. I don't know what can come of it now, but we will see.

What is the best address for UA response? They have one on their website, but is there another one?
surftb15 is offline  
Old Oct 2, 11, 12:14 am
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 10,248
Originally Posted by surftb15 View Post
Thanks.

I drafted my letter and will mail it to UA and the DOT on Monday. I don't know what can come of it now, but we will see.

What is the best address for UA response? They have one on their website, but is there another one?
If I write a real letter to complain, I write to the CEO's directly.

Remember, UA failed you not only with the initial screwup but also with the handling at the airport.
username is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: