Search

Why is Award travel not "free"?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2011, 7:55 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1K, Marriott Plat Premier
Why is Award travel not "free"?

I don't get it. I fly enough to book an award ticket and then United charges a fee for booking the ticket online.

So they certainly can't say they offer "free travel" to elite members.

Yes I know it's a measily fee but when I blow 50k miles to get my daughter from RDU-PWM during the holidays it irks me that I have to pull out my CC for the $10.

And even though I am using my miles as a 1K to get her home, if she were to check a bag she'd get dinged for the fee. The final insult was when I booked the flight for her, it asked if I wanted to pay $9 each way for her to use the Premier Line.

I think the status should go with the miles.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by Cantheplanegofaster?
I don't get it. I fly enough to book an award ticket and then United charges a fee for booking the ticket online.

So they certainly can't say they offer "free travel" to elite members.

Yes I know it's a measily fee but when I blow 50k miles to get my daughter from RDU-PWM during the holidays it irks me that I have to pull out my CC for the $10.

And even though I am using my miles as a 1K to get her home, if she were to check a bag she'd get dinged for the fee. The final insult was when I booked the flight for her, it asked if I wanted to pay $9 each way for her to use the Premier Line.

I think the status should go with the miles.
Should have moved your miles to CO. No charge for booking online and the person flying enjoys your status.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 8:16 pm

The $10 are the taxes not a fee.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 8:20 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Iirc, it's not a fee charged by UA but one of the taxes involved just like if you booked a paid ticket and if I further remember, it's $2.50 per segment. Is the trip in question 2 segments each direction?
Old Sep 19, 2011, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
I suggest the OP book at trip to London to see what real "fees" are about.

I do like the OP's suggestion though, that elites should be exempt from government taxes. Now thats a great idea ^

I am also willing to go out on a limb, and say, the OP spent 50,000 miles without checking for space on CO/US.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 8:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by annacrist
The $10 are the taxes not a fee.
And be glad you're not booking on an airline like British Air where the taxes could amount to $500 or more (British Air treats fuel surcharge as a tax and passes that on to the passenger).
Old Sep 19, 2011, 8:24 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
if $10 was all you were charged, it is airport fees....they vary a bit from place to place....
Old Sep 19, 2011, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
And be glad you're not booking on an airline like British Air where the taxes could amount to $500 or more (British Air treats fuel surcharge as a tax and passes that on to the passenger).
ah... the fuel surcharge, that thankfully hasnt come to United award tickets (yet, give it time)
Old Sep 19, 2011, 8:26 pm

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
You could always pay full price for the ticket instead of the $10
Old Sep 19, 2011, 8:47 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1K, Marriott Plat Premier
Originally Posted by MR_MAMA
You could always pay full price for the ticket instead of the $10
Nice comment. I guess you and I could also just not acrue FFMs that allow booking award travel, eh?
Old Sep 19, 2011, 9:14 pm

Like others have mentioned, the $10 charge is a tax, not a booking fee. Misleading thread title.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 11:12 pm

Programs: UA GS, Avis CHM, Marriott & SPG & PC Plat., Hyatt & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by United757
Like others have mentioned, the $10 charge is a tax, not a booking fee. Misleading thread title.
Yeah, but still, if I book a reward night at a hotel, then my bills comes out to $0. No taxes, no fees and no strange charges. Nil. Zip. Nada. Noll.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 11:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by heffa
Yeah, but still, if I book a reward night at a hotel, then my bills comes out to $0. No taxes, no fees and no strange charges. Nil. Zip. Nada. Noll.
Unless you book at an SPG resort, where you still have to pay the resort fee.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 11:22 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by heffa
because hotel taxes (in most cases -- sometimes flat rate resort fees are charged) are a percentage of the billing, therefore are zero for award bookings.

The particular airline taxes under discussion are based on airport / segments. The 7.5% federal exercise tax will be zero but not the other taxes.

this might help A guide to airline-ticket taxes and fees.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 6:41 am

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
This is not the airport/segment tax. It is the 9/11 Security Fee.
http://www.tsa.gov/research/fees/passenger_fee.shtm
$2.50 per segment, $5.00 max in each direction.
I have a recent award booking with three segments - fee was $7.50.

I do not expect UA or any carrier to pay government mandated fees/taxes on my behalf when I travel on an award ticket when the taxes/fees are not a function of the price of travel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.