Wiki Posts
Search

SYD FC on UA or Air New Zealand Business

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2011, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
SYD FC on UA or Air New Zealand Business

I have a FC ticket on United SFO-SYD. I want to make a date change and the option is the ANZ flight in their business premiere (I think it's called). I'm guessing this is comparable and/or better than UA in some respects? Any opinions on using FC mileage award for this? Thx
Old Aug 29, 2011, 10:53 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by 1k-all-the-way
I have a FC ticket on United SFO-SYD. I want to make a date change and the option is the ANZ flight in their business premiere (I think it's called). I'm guessing this is comparable and/or better than UA in some respects? Any opinions on using FC mileage award for this? Thx
Search is your friend here. NZ business premier is a top-class product. Even though it's "only business", the hard and soft products beat UA's. Look in Trip Reports or the Air NZ forum ... lots of information.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
Search is your friend here. NZ business premier is a top-class product. Even though it's "only business", the hard and soft products beat UA's. Look in Trip Reports or the Air NZ forum ... lots of information.
There is no way that NZ's herringbone business class seat beats UA's "new" F seat on the 747.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 11:34 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by United757
There is no way that NZ's herringbone business class seat beats UA's "new" F seat on the 747.

Yeah, it can. Plus, you don't get the hit or miss service on NZ that you get on UA/CO.

To the OP: NZ all the way baby!
Old Aug 29, 2011, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by dinoscool3
Yeah, it can. Plus, you don't get the hit or miss service on NZ that you get on UA/CO.
We're talking about seat. UA's 3-cabin F seat is definitely better than the NZ J seat.

Service I agree is another story, but on seat alone, UA F is definitely superior.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 11:45 am

Programs: VAG
I've only walked through, and never sat in, the cabin, but I'd say that NZ business is definitely comparable to United First. And the food and service should be excellent.

On the downside, if you're getting off NZ7 in AKL and continuing to SYD you're going to be connecting to a single-class A320. So your last three hours are going to be stuck in Economy.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by channa
We're talking about seat. UA's 3-cabin F seat is definitely better than the NZ J seat.

Service I agree is another story, but on seat alone, UA F is definitely superior.

I know we were talking about the seat. I like herringbone better then UA F, but of course you disagree.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by dinoscool3
I know we were talking about the seat. I like herringbone better then UA F, but of course you disagree.
What is it that you like about herringbone that UA F doesn't have?

The main advantage of herringbone is aisle access for everyone (which is not a given in other biz classes). But you already have that in UA F.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by channa
What is it that you like about herringbone that UA F doesn't have?

The main advantage of herringbone is aisle access for everyone (which is not a given in other biz classes). But you already have that in UA F.

The only plus for UA F seating is easy window access. Other then that it's actually about the same. I still say NZ though. (Herringbone I find to be cooler which is why I said I liked it better)
Old Aug 29, 2011, 12:30 pm

Ridiculous. There is no comparison between the two seats. I do agree that service quality on NZ wins.

Larger

Old Aug 29, 2011, 4:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
Originally Posted by Jorgen
I've only walked through, and never sat in, the cabin, but I'd say that NZ business is definitely comparable to United First. And the food and service should be excellent.

On the downside, if you're getting off NZ7 in AKL and continuing to SYD you're going to be connecting to a single-class A320. So your last three hours are going to be stuck in Economy.
Thanks - I'm on a 67 from AUK to SYD with business class. Maybe that's a new addition?
Old Aug 29, 2011, 5:52 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
I have flown both. UA 747 F seat hands down, particularly if you can get one of the windows seats. Service on NZ is more consistent and on average significantly better. UA on a bad day is FAR worse than NZ. UA on a good day is as good.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 5:57 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by blueman2
I have flown both. UA 747 F seat hands down, particularly if you can get one of the windows seats. Service on NZ is more consistent and on average significantly better. UA on a bad day is FAR worse than NZ. UA on a good day is as good.
Been on both too.

I actually wasn't that impressed with the NZ food. It was just okay. Service was good, not great. But as always, it just depends upon the crew that given flight.

As far as seat, UA does win hands down. Not even close.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 6:14 pm

Programs: VAG
Originally Posted by 1k-all-the-way
Thanks - I'm on a 67 from AUK to SYD with business class. Maybe that's a new addition?
Ah, it seems to be a function of the day of the week you fly. Possibly A320s on weekdays and 767s on weekends. If it's a 767 then I retract my primary objection. Biz on the 767 isn't as snazzy as Biz-Prem on the long-haul, but it shouldn't be uncomfortable.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 6:21 pm

Programs: 1P, AA EXP, SPG Gold
How about reliability and likelihood of arriving at your destination on the date that you want to? If reliability is a factor, and I assume it would be unless you can afford to risk cancellations on UA (search the threads to see how many UA 744 flights this month have been canceled -- it is staggering), then NZ would be the logical choice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.