Upgrading on Thai with MP miles?

Old Aug 23, 11, 9:40 pm
formerly known as RK7
Original Poster

Programs: Many
Upgrading on Thai with MP miles?

Have anyone ever been able to upgrade on Thai using MP miles? Id like upgraded flights on Thai (LAX-BKK on 10/7- BKK-LAX on 10/22) so about a week ago I bought the B fares required in order to upgrade to Biz using MP miles. Ive been calling in every day and, of course, no space yet Today though, a UA Premier Exec agent told me Ha! Ive only seen these confirm 48-72 hours outbut you can certainly keep trying. Anyone ever have any luck confirming an upgrade on Thai AT ANY TIME? When calling Thai Air for an answer, they make it sound as if UA is to blame for me not getting an upgrade and we all know how generous UA is in giving out upgrades on other airlines...

My fallback plan is to opt for Premium Economy but Id much rather go Biz
Old Aug 23, 11, 9:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

For the upgrade to work you need Biz award inventory to be available. You can check that yourself using ANA or Aeroplan or even co.com for TG award space rather than calling in. Once you see that available getting the upgrade should be trivial.

I took that flight in C westbound in late July and was rather unimpressed. I didn't like the timing of the meals or the seat comfort in general. Next time I'll likely fly the other direction or just save the miles and slum it in Y.
Old Aug 23, 11, 10:00 pm
formerly known as RK7
Original Poster

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
For the upgrade to work you need Biz award inventory to be available. You can check that yourself using ANA or Aeroplan or even co.com for TG award space rather than calling in. Once you see that available getting the upgrade should be trivial.

I took that flight in C westbound in late July and was rather unimpressed. I didn't like the timing of the meals or the seat comfort in general. Next time I'll likely fly the other direction or just save the miles and slum it in Y.
Did you get upgraded? I've tried KVS tool and seen nothing available for the next umpteen months. I do like the overnight timing of the flight (as opposed to UA through NRT or HKG) and have used Premium Economy in the past and found it acceptable.
Old Aug 24, 11, 6:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by RK7 View Post
Did you get upgraded?
I booked it directly as a C award so no upgrade but it is the same inventory.

And I don't use KVS because the exact same data is freely available and I don't like paying for bad customer service and questionable business ethics, but that's a different thread entirely.
Old Aug 24, 11, 11:04 am
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by RK7 View Post
Did you get upgraded? I've tried KVS tool and seen nothing available for the next umpteen months.
Indeed, C Award/Upgrade Availability on that route is extremely limited, but it does exist, e.g.:

[KVS Availability Tool 6.4.0/Diamond - SNT: Awards/StarAlliance/JP-ANA-SP1]
Code:
LAX  Los Angeles Intl CA US [KLAX]
BKK  Bangkok Intl TH [VTBS]
TUE  27 Mar 2012 | 1 Seat

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Availability
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  -------------
TG         795     LAX   23:20     BKK   06:40 +2  345  0   FS/  CS+  YS+
Old Aug 24, 11, 1:46 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card, Amanjunkie, Global Entry, CLEAR
I've successfully used MP miles to upgrade several legs intra Asia on TG. Subject to availability of course. I've had even better luck though asking the TA at checkin for a cash only upgrade and often not only found them available, but available for surprisingly low amounts.
Old Aug 24, 11, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, IC Amb
I have bought a B fare and upgraded to C using my UA miles on LAX-BKK-LAX in the past. I always checked KVS before I buy the ticket, just to make sure that I could lock in the upgrade. I definitely noticed the amount of seats available got tighter. I was looking for a friend a few weeks ago to travel LAX BKK during Thanksgiving and there was only one seat available during a 10-day period.

So, just like what KVS says, the seats are there, just not that many of them. Good luck!

Last edited by UALboy; Aug 24, 11 at 3:38 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: