Search

Cutting up / merging award itineraries

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2011, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
Cutting up / merging award itineraries

Hi all,

I know that as a 1K, i can make changes to award itineraries for free, but I'll soon be constructing a rather complex itinerary, and I expect that not all the availability I want will be there initially, and it's for two passengers.

I want to book an open-jaw w/ a stopover.

So could I book the first one-way legs out there, the day that they become available?

Book the returns as one-ways, the day that they become available?

Let's say I find a single seat in F on an alternative route? Can I book that too?

And then basically I end up w/ a bunch of itineraries, and eventually I'll cancel all of them except for the one I want, and then i'll get an agent to take the pieces of that one and stick them together so that it will be an open-jaw w/ a stopover - does that make sense?

For example, there are some routes that are hard to get F inventory... I want to watch them, and snag any seat that becomes available, and wait and hope for a second to pop up. Thanks!
Old Aug 11, 2011, 4:07 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
I recall this question was asked in the past few days and if I recall correctly, the answer is no, you can't merge itineraries. If you want to book a dummy return, feel free to do that and then cancel it.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 4:09 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
If all the final pieces are on UA metal, you may be able to merge them if you are lucky to find a good agent. If there is any *A involved then forget it.

Originally Posted by hungarianhc
Hi all,

I know that as a 1K, i can make changes to award itineraries for free, but I'll soon be constructing a rather complex itinerary, and I expect that not all the availability I want will be there initially, and it's for two passengers.

I want to book an open-jaw w/ a stopover.

So could I book the first one-way legs out there, the day that they become available?

Book the returns as one-ways, the day that they become available?

Let's say I find a single seat in F on an alternative route? Can I book that too?

And then basically I end up w/ a bunch of itineraries, and eventually I'll cancel all of them except for the one I want, and then i'll get an agent to take the pieces of that one and stick them together so that it will be an open-jaw w/ a stopover - does that make sense?

For example, there are some routes that are hard to get F inventory... I want to watch them, and snag any seat that becomes available, and wait and hope for a second to pop up. Thanks!
Old Aug 11, 2011, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Palal
I recall this question was asked in the past few days and if I recall correctly, the answer is no, you can't merge itineraries. If you want to book a dummy return, feel free to do that and then cancel it.
Hmmm so the only way to book an open jaw w/ a stopover would be to have that availability exist at time of booking then. Makes things tough.

I suppose I could book a dummy return and modify that later, but it does get complicated when you're booking for two passengers. If the gf and I booked a multi-city itinerary, but then a single F seat popped up on another route, we couldn't "modify" our itinerary to include that F seat since we'd be on different flights... complicated stuff... bummer. Seems like the failsafe way to do it is just to book everything as 1-way awards, but that leaves out the possibility of a stopover to get a bit more bang for the buck.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 4:14 pm

Programs: United GS 2MM,, Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Platinum
You are discussing getting seats "the day that they come available".
I've always planned vacations 1 year out and benefitted from snagging award seats at 330 days. There have always been at least 2 seats on any flight I wanted so, at worst, I would split my family into 2 pairs and we'd be able to get seats.
However starting to plan and book seats for next summer, I have searched many flights (and even routes) for which not a single saver award has been released at the 330 day mark.
Perhaps another change we're going to like..?..
Back to your question, no, they won't combine award tickets/legs together. You'd need to book this as 3 one-way tickets, then at that point you can waitlist all you want (on United metal, of course) to get better flights.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SAN 1K
You are discussing getting seats "the day that they come available".
I've always planned vacations 1 year out and benefitted from snagging award seats at 330 days. There have always been at least 2 seats on any flight I wanted so, at worst, I would split my family into 2 pairs and we'd be able to get seats.
However starting to plan and book seats for next summer, I have searched many flights (and even routes) for which not a single saver award has been released at the 330 day mark.
Yeah I'm in the same boat. I've been searching as far out as I possibly can for the past month, trying to see what award availability for my routes looks like. The good news is that it looks like getting there in business class won't be a problem for the two of us, but I'd really like two seats in F the whole way - and there isn't much award availability at the 330 day mark for two people in F.
Originally Posted by SAN 1K
You'd need to book this as 3 one-way tickets, then at that point you can waitlist all you want (on United metal, of course) to get better flights.
Where I'm going UA metal doesn't fly! But rather than waitlist, I have enough miles to keep snatching up random one-way F awards as they become available, and then i'll just cancel when I need to. The unfortunate thing is that I won't be able to get a stopover!
Old Aug 11, 2011, 5:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K
... The good news is that it looks like getting there in business class won't be a problem for the two of us, but I'd really like two seats in F the whole way - and there isn't much award availability at the 330 day mark for two people in F....
I booked an award for girlfriend last month SYD-BKK-NRT on Thai, at the time of booking SYD-BKK had Biz and BKK-NRT had only Economy. few days before departure the BKK-NRT Biz class opened up.
I called 1K desk and they changed it WITHOUT changing the reservation number - I'm guessing it is because the mileage requirements did not change.
YMMV
Old Aug 11, 2011, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
This is where I think you'll run into problems; definitely with partners, and possibly even on UA metal. The agents will have to release the inventory from one PNR and hope IM releases it again.

Originally Posted by smfnrt
I booked an award for girlfriend last month SYD-BKK-NRT on Thai, at the time of booking SYD-BKK had Biz and BKK-NRT had only Economy. few days before departure the BKK-NRT Biz class opened up.
I called 1K desk and they changed it WITHOUT changing the reservation number - I'm guessing it is because the mileage requirements did not change.
YMMV
That sounds much simpler than what the OP is trying to do. There's no waitlisting on *A tickets, but you can change cabins or even flights or even routing when you find space.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by smfnrt
YMMV
You can change routing and add/remove segments to a single itinerary as you wish, but you can't merge/split itineraries.

OP -- why not book two RT itineraries -- one for yourself, one for your girlfriend. Do a dummy return booking. The routing can be different, cabin doesn't have to be the same just put something in there for the sake of having a round-trip award. When you find what you want, call in and change each of the itineraries until you get what you want. (I'm assuming you're a 1K).
Old Aug 11, 2011, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Hmmm so the only way to book an open jaw w/ a stopover would be to have that availability exist at time of booking then. Makes things tough.
You're a 1K and therefor can amend, change, completely alter an itin after booking. Why do you think you'd be restricted to creating an OJ or SO only at original booking?

Book whatever you need to complete a r/t award itin and modify once your desired routings are there.

You can change routing and add/remove segments to a single itinerary as you wish, but you can't merge/split itineraries.
I think you can split an itin if it's all UA (NB I am not stating this correct, just a belief).

OP -- why not book two RT itineraries -- one for yourself, one for your girlfriend. Do a dummy return booking.
This is what i do at times. For my girl, not the OP's.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 4:02 am

Originally Posted by dsquared37
I think you can split an itin if it's all UA (NB I am not stating this correct, just a belief).
That's my understanding too, but the OP needs *A partners from what I understand.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.