Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Free Standby Now?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2011, 3:20 pm

Programs: United 1P; Delta GM; SP Gold; AS MVPG; FPC Premier
Originally Posted by imm2b
SDC=Same Day Change. Yes. you're correct. I did get a DM card, looking at the monitor, I was on the Standby list. That's why I thought I was on Standby, may be I didn't use the right term?
Same thing happened to me (technically put on standby list until they started calling standbys that cleared. I'm a 1P and was looking to get an earlier flight from the one scheduled. There was time and the gate was pretty light, so I asked the agent about this. I knew about the SDC rules and was curious as to why I was put on standby and given a DM card rather than a seat when I asked for the change. It turns out the gate agent wasn't aware of the new rule, knew I'd make the flight based on load, and said she did it to save me $75. I just said thank you very much, but with the old rule, was it the case that 1Ps could stand by for free but would have to pay $75 for a SDC?
Old Aug 31, 2011, 10:29 am

Programs: MileagePlus
You can be confirmed on a flight and still receive a DM card at check-in. In this case you are not on the standby list. The boarding priority on the DM card will be BP1 (Y,XY tickets) or BP2 (all other economy class tickets). If you are standby the boarding priority on the DM card will be BP5. EasyInfo screens differentiate confirmed from standby with different color bars. The list with yellow bar across the top indicates passengers with confirmed reservation awaiting seat assignment (BP1 and BP2) and the list with red bar on top shows passengers awaiting seat assignment on a standby basis (BP5). If you are a BP1 or BP2 you can VDB or are entitled to IDB comp. If you are a BP5 you not eligible for any DB comp.

The departure management list has multiple sections:
FFCC (full fare 1st, business, XF, and XC)
BP1 (confirmed XY, Y)
BP2 (other confirmed economy)
BP3 (employees on official business without confirmed reservation)
BP4 (other airline/travel professionals on official business)
BP5 (revenue ticket holders without confirmed reservation on the flight)
BP6-10 (various non-revenue standbys)

Last edited by SFOFastAir; Sep 23, 2011 at 12:53 pm Reason: Research on EazyInfo
Old Aug 31, 2011, 10:50 am

Programs: United 1P; Delta GM; SP Gold; AS MVPG; FPC Premier
Originally Posted by SFOFastAir
You can be confirmed on a flight and still receive a DM card at check-in. In this case you are not on the standby list. The boarding priority on the DM card will be BP1 (Y,XY tickets) or BP2 (all other economy class tickets). If you are standby the boarding priority on the DM card will be BP5. Unfortunately the EasyInfo screens don't do a good job of differentiating passengers with confirmed reservation awaiting seat assignment (BP1 and BP2) and passengers awaiting seat assignment on a standby basis(BP5). If you are a BP1 or BP2 you can VDB or are entitled to IDB comp. If you are a BP5 you not eligible for any DB comp.

BP1 (confirmed XY, Y)
Interesting...I was on the standby list per the screen at the gate and my iPad United mobile app, but it sounds like maybe I wasn't really standby? I think I still happen to have my DM cards at home ,so I'll check it out and report back what it said.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 3:21 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Globalist
FWIW. I recently flew SB with a 2P friend on separate itineraries and neither of us was charged a fee.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 10:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by SFOFastAir
You can be confirmed on a flight and still receive a DM card at check-in. In this case you are not on the standby list. The boarding priority on the DM card will be BP1 (Y,XY tickets) or BP2 (all other economy class tickets). If you are standby the boarding priority on the DM card will be BP5. Unfortunately the EasyInfo screens don't do a good job of differentiating passengers with confirmed reservation awaiting seat assignment (BP1 and BP2) and passengers awaiting seat assignment on a standby basis(BP5). If you are a BP1 or BP2 you can VDB or are entitled to IDB comp. If you are a BP5 you not eligible for any DB comp.

BP1 (confirmed XY, Y)
I got a DM card once that was BP1 for F. Where does that lie on the priority list? I ended up getting a seat in Y because F had checked in full and a customer appreciation cert to make up for not getting an F seat.

I think they either overbooked F or FAM'd me. I was on a discount economy fare (probably W) in NF on UDU
Old Sep 21, 2011, 10:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by travel.flier
I got a DM card once that was BP1 for F. Where does that lie on the priority list? I ended up getting a seat in Y because F had checked in full and a customer appreciation cert to make up for not getting an F seat.

I think they either overbooked F or FAM'd me. I was on a discount economy fare (probably W) in NF on UDU
Remember, you were booked in the Y cabin so when things go wrong, that's where you can end up.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by Dr_wanderlust
FWIW. I recently flew SB with a 2P friend on separate itineraries and neither of us was charged a fee.
I think it just depends on the mood of the agent. By if it's done by the books, there is a charge.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Dudey
I think it just depends on the mood of the agent. By if it's done by the books, there is a charge.
My guess is that the fee is waived at the gate more often than it is charged...it is less work for the GA to quickly add you to the stand by list instead of going into the record, entering credit card information, etc.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 8:41 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Emerald Club Exec Elite, Air-Kayaker (former United MP)
i just flew SB for free

yesterday i arrived at the airport early due to a cancelled meeting. the ta put me on the earlier first flight, then on standby for the earlier second flight. when she did so, she said (almost quoting), "since you are premier executive there is no $75 charge for the standby".

so i went onto the UA site today to see if i could find info about the sb conditions, cannot find...anyone have a link?
Old Feb 2, 2012, 9:01 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by WhiteOut
yesterday i arrived at the airport early due to a cancelled meeting. the ta put me on the earlier first flight, then on standby for the earlier second flight. when she did so, she said (almost quoting), "since you are premier executive there is no $75 charge for the standby".

so i went onto the UA site today to see if i could find info about the sb conditions, cannot find...anyone have a link?
http://www.united.com/page/article/1,,52142,00.html
Old Mar 9, 2013, 10:32 am

Programs: UA1K 3MM, AS MVP 75K Gold
Originally Posted by FlyerChrisK
Link doesn't work.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 11:17 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by honmani2
Link doesn't work.
Probably because it's over 12 months old, and from the old pre-merger website...

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...daychange.aspx is the current equivalent, or just "Ask Alex" about standby.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 5:11 pm

Programs: UA1K 3MM, AS MVP 75K Gold
Originally Posted by docbert
Probably because it's over 12 months old, and from the old pre-merger website...

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...daychange.aspx is the current equivalent, or just "Ask Alex" about standby.
Good point. Thanks!
Old Mar 14, 2013, 8:47 am

Programs: UA-lifetime Platinum (2MM), IHG-Amb, HH-Diamond, Hertz-PC, Marriott-Gold, CX-AM
Booked oneway LAX to EWR with booking class V and already got pre-upgraded to F (with reginal upgrade certificate), can I do same day standby LAX to JFK instead?

If I want to standby for the earlier flight LAX to EWR, will they put me to F or Y standby list?
Old Mar 14, 2013, 2:03 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by GordonGordon
Booked oneway LAX to EWR with booking class V and already got pre-upgraded to F (with reginal upgrade certificate), can I do same day standby LAX to JFK instead?

If I want to standby for the earlier flight LAX to EWR, will they put me to F or Y standby list?
original booking class, so you will standby for economy and once you clear standby, than you can request to be put on the upgrade waitlist (but they tend to clear upgrade waitlist prior to clearing standbys). Note this one reason SDC is better since once confirmed, you can get on the waitlist much earlier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.