Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pilot walks off plane for wrong meal

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2011, 11:29 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by SFOTurtle
+1 The OP "must not have really gotten the full story and wasn't actually in the cockpit and didn't actually see what was written on the checklist and is exaggerating and couldn't possibly have been just as the OP stated because, after all, the OP is only a passenger and doesn't really understand the code language the pilots were using with the groundcrew. Yadda yadda yadda And the other pilot offering to buy the complaining pilot lunch - couldn't possibly have happened.
The aviation industry would run so much more efficiently if it wasn't for those pesky darned passengers and those lies they tell all the time on FT.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 11:30 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by fastair
... One can try to say you pay my salary, but that is just a nice catch phrase, even if you don't like the "laundering" concept, in reality, it is much closer to the truth that to say that a customer pays it. I think I might try to tell the next police officer that I pay his salary when I get pulled over and see how far it goes. ...
He has heard it before. I'm long retired but had that happen several times over the years when I was still on patrol assignments. Of course, the one time I had had enough and pulled a dime out of my pocket, tossed it to him and said "here is your share back," I caught a pretty nasty gripe slip in my personnel file. It takes ten "atta boys" to offset one "aw" so it took awhile to clear that. Sometimes you have just had enough and to heck with the consequences.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 28, 2011 at 9:18 am Reason: language
Old Jul 27, 2011, 11:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K
One pissed off pilot.

Clearly, this was not the first time this happend. Really a proverbial straw that broke the camel's back. He was pissed. He had enough, and he just wasn't going to take it anymore. Good for him for standing up for what he believes in.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 12:10 am

Programs: UA 1K
My first guess was that this is an example of "working to contract" as a way to express disapproval with the state of negotiations between pilots and the corporation. (It seems awfully coincidental with http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...cheduling.html .)

On second guess, I'm not so sure -- if your goal is to delay flights and cause measurable financial impact to the corporation, wouldn't you pick something a little more predictable than a mis-catered crew meal?
Old Jul 28, 2011, 12:18 am

Programs: Something lifetime here and there
Originally Posted by mherdeg
My first guess was that this is an example of "working to contract" as a way to express disapproval with the state of negotiations between pilots and the corporation. (It seems awfully coincidental with http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...cheduling.html .)

On second guess, I'm not so sure -- if your goal is to delay flights and cause measurable financial impact to the corporation, wouldn't you pick something a little more predictable than a mis-catered crew meal?
Welcome to the SOH that some of dealt with back on 2000......It will get "better" as we go forward here in 2011......and beyond......
Old Jul 28, 2011, 12:39 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by goingbananas
Welcome to the SOH that some of dealt with back on 2000......It will get "better" as we go forward here in 2011......and beyond......
Yes I remember that nightmare too - changed my view of pilots pretty much totally I am afraid. Still to this day I have little or no respect for those involved in that dispute. If that's coming again then it's off to AA I go, and this time there won't be any second chances.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 1:01 am

Programs: Airlines: UA-CO, NH, AA, and DL Hotels: SPG, Accor, PC, and Marriott
Originally Posted by aluminumdriver
Ahh, another FT thread with partial information. Gotta love it.

The OP may not know all the issues involved here unless he can say he talked to the captain or FO directly. Talking to a FA doesn't suffice.

Secondly, crew meals are part of our contract, we pay for them, so we want them onboard, just as you do when you have a FC seat with a meal. They are also a safety aspect, since low blood sugar and flying are not a good thing, that's why we have them in our contract. I always check before we leave for my meal to make sure it's there, and that it's what I can eat. We can't depend on uneaten FC meals, most of the time we don't get leftover FC meals.

This captain might have ordered a special meal (we have everything from salad meals to kosher to low sodium) and needed that meal. If I have a full crew meal, and I get a salad instead, that's not a meal so I wouldn't take it either.

Third, going into the terminal to buy food is an option, and one I usually choose since the food is better. The problem with that is you're loaning the company your money, since it can take months to get reimbursed, there may not be a restaurant close by or open, and sometimes you run into a flight manager who wants to argue that you spent too much for lunch and hassle you.

We delay trips for catering for passengers. I see no problem with the delay for crew catering either. However, delaying this long for just a side item for a meal I would not agree with. I'd just run inside and buy some items and expense it.

AD
Thanks again for your UA pilots perspective. Personally I think if there was a contractual obligation by UA on the meal part, it needs to be fulfilled. While 45 minutes may be a bit excessive, I commend the pilot for enforcing it on principle.

Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
You're missing the contractual obligation part. The pilot may have been childish for demanding that the contract be precisely met. But he and ALPA could and would absolutely sue for breach of contract and wrongful termination.
+1
Old Jul 28, 2011, 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I enjoy helping the customers to the best of my ability within the guidelines set forth my my employeer, United Airlines, but make no mistake, it is the company that I work for, the company's rules I follow (and intern they must as well follow the rules,) and the company that pays my checks.
And I suppose the money that the company uses to pay your check comes from the tooth fairy, right?
Old Jul 28, 2011, 1:17 am
Used to be PWMRamper

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by goingbananas

Easy...he would have called MEM (which is on the way to TPA), have them go downtown and get some ribs (or since we are talking chicken, make that BBQ Chicken) catered to meet the plane when they land in 1 hour in MEM!!
I remember taking an in range call once and the pilot said he had one special...to have someone grab him a Mountain Dew from the vending machine!

It was a pilot we regularly see and are good friends with, so of course we obliged.

And once in a great while we get an in range call asking for lobsters. That one doesn't work out, no lobster vendors at PWM (shocking! They could make good money!)
Old Jul 28, 2011, 1:17 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by rjque
And I suppose the money that the company uses to pay your check comes from the tooth fairy, right?
If we want to go back a few people's hands that money changed, let's go back a few more...where did u get it from, your employeer, and they got it from other customers who got it from....maybe I spent it 25 people ago, so it is really my money, right? Perhaps it is the US govt's as they printed it. I only get paid by 1 thing, not 2, 3, 4, or 5 transactions ago.

This arguement is futile, think about it...when I work for you directly, then you both employ and pay me. If you are not my direct emploeer, and your payment is not processed by me as an individual, you neither pay me, nor employ me. It's really a very simple concept, how can it be difficult to understand who an employer is and who funds the payroll account that pays me? Your credit card charge does not go to my account, nor does it go directly into UA's payroll account. Accounts receivable and payroll are not the same account, and even if it were, you do not disperse the payroll account, which is what pays me.

Understand?
Old Jul 28, 2011, 1:39 am

Programs: Flying Blue, easyJet Plus (!)
In the end, the cause was identified, and he was able to return to flying with a proper diet modification.
As someone who is gluten intolerant (not heavily allergic - it won't kill me, but it probably would make me unfit to fly a plane) I've found that delivery of these meals can be annoyingly inconsistent. In particular, it's common for cabin crew to drop off normal bread with it, which is an absolute no-no. For some people, that will mean they can't eat anything on the tray if it's made contact with the food or cutlery.

This sort of thing should really be handled better.

Neil
Old Jul 28, 2011, 1:42 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
You're missing the contractual obligation part. The pilot may have been childish for demanding that the contract be precisely met. But he and ALPA could and would absolutely sue for breach of contract and wrongful termination.
And unions wonder why they get blamed for the downfall of this country's economics.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 4:50 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by travel.flier
And unions wonder why they get blamed for the downfall of this country's economics.
Unions didn't invent contract law. Imagine an "at will" empolyee who forgot to do his job (i.e. deliver the proper product) who could be fired instantly for that, or better yet, could be fired without any reason at all. Seems to me, a set of binding rules and reasons to be terminated are far better than no reason needed at all.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 5:50 am

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by travel.flier
There are many countries with much stronger economies than the US that also have stronger unions.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
This particular instance looks extreme, but I do suspect that there are back stories which would explain some of the events.

However, it is symptomatic of an organization which is badly run. Labor is unhappy because it perceives itself as mistreated. Labor has no one in authority to turn to to get things sorted (where was a station manager or an ops manager to sort this out). Labor feels that they need to make a stand in the only way which will bring matters to the attention of senior management.

Now, the question then comes as to how we got into this situation in the first place. Why on earth would UA ever agree to ridiculously over-detailed contractual obligations which allow labor to hold it to ransom? Presumably because labor does not trust management to do the right thing in the first place. Years of conflict, as opposed to partnership, lead to mistrust and downright bolshiness on the part of labor - and probably also management.

The challenge for the new company will be to break this vicious cycle; to behave reasonably towards employees and to weed out the employees who will not behave reasonably in their dealings with the company or its customers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.