Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Ua 882 icn-nrt - what to expect on this flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2011, 5:24 am
Original Poster

Flying this flight in C on 10th of August. I think I made a mistake when booking this one, I should have booked Asiana (on a very cheap US Airways award ticket), but for some reason availability on OZ did not pop up on ANA tool and I realized NRT is way too far out of Tokyo than HND is. But enough anout that, what to expect on this flight? Since it is only two hours I do not expect alot even in biz, but they should have some service I guess.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jul 25, 2011 at 5:41 am Reason: vague thread title
Old Jul 25, 2011, 7:50 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
A small snack (sandwich and dessert) and drinks.

On OZ, you would probably get a full meal (based on my experiences on similar length flights on OZ between ICN and various cities in China.)

Last edited by 1kBill; Jul 25, 2011 at 7:57 am
Old Jul 25, 2011, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by William S
Flying this flight in C on 10th of August. I think I made a mistake when booking this one, I should have booked Asiana (on a very cheap US Airways award ticket), but for some reason availability on OZ did not pop up on ANA tool and I realized NRT is way too far out of Tokyo than HND is. But enough anout that, what to expect on this flight? Since it is only two hours I do not expect alot even in biz, but they should have some service I guess.
Service is truly fine for the length of the flight.

But why is it too late to change? Can you cancel/ refund the UA ticket and rebook? If it is an award ticket, you should be able to change carriers without a fee (unless this has recently changed). If you are on a revenue ticket, paid C is usually fully changeable.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 8:16 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by 1kBill
A small snack (sandwich and dessert) and drinks.

On OZ, you would probably get a full meal (based on my experiences on similar length flights on OZ between ICN and various cities in China.)

Yes, on OZ you get a full meal.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 11:34 am

Programs: UA:1P CO:Gold
For the length of the flight, I actually thought the "snack" was pretty decent.

With the snacks in the OZ lounge+the flight, it's enough food for me.

In Y, the "snack" is pretty pathetic though.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

I think I'll keep the itiniary as it is. I would rather not deal with rude US Airways agents again to change it (yap it was bought miles to try LH F, UA C and LX F to fly OSL-FRA-ICN-NRT-ZRH-OSL in F on the long legs and C the rest).
Thanks to the double miles campaign they had I could buy 50k+50k for 1300 USD. Europe to Asia in F is 100k US Airways Miles.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 1:50 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
If you have time, get to ICN early and enjoy the airport and the OZ lounge.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by OskiBear
If you have time, get to ICN early and enjoy the airport and the OZ lounge.

It's quite nice, I really love the cups o' noodles
Old Jul 25, 2011, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by certain
For the length of the flight, I actually thought the "snack" was pretty decent.

With the snacks in the OZ lounge+the flight, it's enough food for me.

In Y, the "snack" is pretty pathetic though.
I agree...in business I think the service is actually very good for such a short flight. I can't imagine Asiana is that much better. I have taken it a dozen times or so ICN-NRT-SEA and never have had a bad experience.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 2:32 pm

Programs: was UA 1K now Gold, cuz UA 1.3 MM; HA,DL,AS (no status in these), Marriott Gold
Flew 882 ICN-NRT in C on 7/13. Apparent eqpt change, so it was a 777 in the new C configuration w/ those comfy lie-flat seats. BTW, C was roughly half-full that day.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by andyh64000
I agree...in business I think the service is actually very good for such a short flight. I can't imagine Asiana is that much better. I have taken it a dozen times or so ICN-NRT-SEA and never have had a bad experience.

They do a meal. I'm sure it's much better on OZ.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 3:05 pm

Programs: United GS 2MM,, Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by dinoscool3
They do a meal. I'm sure it's much better on OZ.
I did this flight on OZ once last year and was amazed by the meal on such a short flight. Soup, salad, appetizer, entree (I had a filet of
beef) and dessert. And brought in multiple trips, not just plopped down. Accompanied by some nice wines and champagne. I have the menu at home, maybe I'll post it sometime.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 3:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, LH M&M, AA EXP, Marriott Plat, Avis NotLast, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*
One bright point for UA is that the NRT-based crews are among the best in the system. Otherwise, I'd take OZ C over UA F on this run.

OZ will give you a full meal (choice of Western or Asian), typically better than anything UA serves in any class on any route. Spirit selection is much better. Seats are pods like UA C.

Once the 77Q starts this route, I might give the IFE vote to UA. OZ's IFE is generally superior, but on shorthaul it's typically a couple episodes of some Western TV series (when I flew them it was NCIS).
Old Jul 25, 2011, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Well I may try to change it to OZ then, but they don't show availability on ANA tool for some reason. I can try to change it via email. If it doesn't work I just keep it. I am pretty sure I'll have a good experience anyway. US Airways agents are rude so I was happy to get the booking through in the end.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by SAN 1K
I did this flight on OZ once last year and was amazed by the meal on such a short flight. Soup, salad, appetizer, entree (I had a filet of
beef) and dessert. And brought in multiple trips, not just plopped down. Accompanied by some nice wines and champagne. I have the menu at home, maybe I'll post it sometime.

Multiple trips? Then OZ must have had some service improvements. OZ used to bring everything in one tray on ICN-NRT in C cabin. I have flown in C on this route with OZ few times, but I have not flown on OZ recently at all.

Originally Posted by Jgish
One bright point for UA is that the NRT-based crews are among the best in the system. Otherwise, I'd take OZ C over UA F on this run.

OZ will give you a full meal (choice of Western or Asian), typically better than anything UA serves in any class on any route. Spirit selection is much better. Seats are pods like UA C.

Once the 77Q starts this route, I might give the IFE vote to UA. OZ's IFE is generally superior, but on shorthaul it's typically a couple episodes of some Western TV series (when I flew them it was NCIS).

The meal OZ serves on this route would not be better than anything UA serves in any class on any route. What UA serves ex-NRT in C is much better than what OZ serves on ICN-NRT in C generally speaking. OZ serves steak and bibimbap on this route typically which are just boring. Also, I do not understand why would someone choose OZ C over UA F especially on such a short flight. With UA F, you get to use F lounge at ICN. Also, F is F and C is C unless we are talking about domestic F.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.